AutoX helmet!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AutoX helmet! within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was looking at attending a different autox other than the normal one I go to, but they don't ...

AutoX helmet!

So I was looking at attending a different autox other than the normal one I go to, but they don't rent helmets.

So I was wondering what you guys have which way to look:
    1) open face
    2) full helmet with visor on top - like a hat visor
    3) full helmet with helmet shield

what do you guys use - I like the look of number three but my concern is heat - it seems like it would be hot also - does it reduce vision, and is it not necessary to have the full helmet when in a car.
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I use an open face. They are MUCH cheaper. You should be able to fine once for $50-70.

You can also find some good deals on HJC motorcycle helmets on ebay, or try JSCSpeed.com, they sell Protec helmets.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should be fine with open face and they are much easier to live with. They don't heat up as much, they don't end up stinking as much, they don't cost as much, and they're easier to talk out of.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok guys thanks for the replies it looks like I will go with open face I am looking for helmets under $200 I don't want to cheap out too much because stuff can happen.

So what brands do you guys suggest i see bell a lot are they a good company? for open face,

are they any other companies i should look at
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

I got an HJC helmet from a motorcycle shop for $70. It works great.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes just check what requirements you have to meet and get a helmet that meets them, is affordable to you, and actually fits comfortably (or else you'll be miserable, there's nothing worse).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

HJC, arai, shoei
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    HJC, arai, shoei
    +1 for Shoei ! The next helmet I will buy is going to be a Shoei.
    2006 Mustang GT
    3.55's Manual
    Black and about to be Blown!

http://www.saferacer.com/shoei-rj-pl...?productid=698

I was looking at this helmet but I read elsewhere it is a motorcycle helmet - should I look for a different helmet?

its a snell m2005 - isn't there a difference between a motorcycle helmet and a car helmet?
    would this be ok or should I look for a car helmet

I think the auto racing snell is SA2005?
    Last edited by SubaruWRC; 04-03-2008 at 07:59 PM.
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

wow that helmet looks horrible. are you trying for a helmet because you want to drag race? because i know here in cali at infineon raceway you have to wear a full face helmet, that wouldnt fly. try a dirt dike helmet, its far from your mouth so its cooler, and you can take off the sun sheild. you can race with them in cali. and it works good for me and they are cheaper

um I don't believe a dirt bike helmet is snell SA 2005 but i don't know and I'm looking to do auto cross where you don't need a full helmet.
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

Solo Rules state that a helmet must be a Snell M or SA rated within the previous two ratings.

This means you simply need a Snell M or SA 95 or newer to be legal for SCCA Solo.

You would only need an SA rated helmet if you plan to start taking your car to the track (PDX or other road course events). Some clubs that do track events will let you get away with an M-rated helmet, but others will require the SA.

Even if you only plan to use your helmet for autocross, get something decent. I use a full face helmet because I also use it for motorcycling, and I don't like bugs in my teeth. You're not wearing it for hours at a time at an autocross, and so it doesn't really heat up like some people are saying (maybe they are just hot heads? ). If you can, try what you are looking at on -- fitment is important for proper protection.

Lastly, make sure once you get your helmet that you put your name on it. A label-maker is good for that. That way, if you leave it in grid or somewhere else, it can be more easily returned to you. You'd be surprised how often helmets are left in grid at the end of an autocross.
    Karen Kraus
    2005 SCCA FS Southeast Divisional Champion | 2007 SCCA DSL National Champion
    2008 SCCA ProSolo L1 Champion | 2009 SCCA ESPL National Champion
    2010 SCCA ESP Northeast Divisional Champion
    2006 WRX (ESP 34) | 1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (ESP 34) | 1997 Camaro Z28 (DD)

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I do track days as well as autox events so I knew I wanted SA, I also wanted the vision of open face, but decent protection too- fortunately Bell made such a compromise- the SR Pro

"Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

i have a dirt bike helmet and i dont really look at it that much but its street legal it has ther dot raring on the back. but i cant remember wat else it says. the only thing i had to do was remove the sun visor. they said it could get in the way, at the track. and that was infineon raceway. in cali.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast