Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 9
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Pzary3233 Yes, catless, which in my region I am not worried about. because I am the only ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Yes, catless, which in my region I am not worried about. because I am the only STX guy there is so I don't give myself a trophy.
    Oh, regional stuff. I thought you were prepping for national stuff.

I do have a random tech cat that I am going to weld into an eBay downpipe ahead of the o2 sensor.
    So far my Invidia catted DP has worked like a champ. Best of luck!
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Oh, regional stuff. I thought you were prepping for national stuff.

So far my Invidia catted DP has worked like a champ. Best of luck!
    I am! But here in our region I don't have anyone to play with but the SM guys... So I am slowly getting it to nationals prep.

Good to know! I may look into it if I have issues with my Random Tech cat being welded in.
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quick update...

I know I needed to get new brake pads on the car. I had planned to do this in either May or June. May came and went, so June it is. Good thing too as I started to hear the squealer on my ride back from the Devens Tour.

So the plan was:
    1. Hawk HPS pads F&R (replacement set)
    2. Goodrich stainless lines
    3. New Motul fluid

I called up Justin @ JSC Speed and placed the order. Ended up being that they didn't have the front HPS pads, neither did any other vendors for that matter. Hawk is completely back ordered. Instead of these I decided to give the HP Plus a shot. I'm rather glad I did. I also picked up a set of the Hankook RS2 Z212 tires for DD/Rain duties.

My Impressions:
    I LOVE the stainless lines. The pedal feel is much nicer. I'm surprised it took me this long to get them on the car. I also really like the HP Plus pads on the front. The initial bite is much better than the HPS even on the street where I had figured that they wouldn't get up to the correct operating temps. I was thinking of using the HP Plus in the rear of the car, but I don't think they would build the heat to give optimal braking. So the HPS are taking care of the braking duties back there.

So far I am pleased with the Hankook tires. They are a bit narrower than the Falkens that they replaced, but I'm hoping they will do a bit better in the rain with a bit more open tread area. They are definitely a competent Hi-Po summer tire.

Thursday night I will be tweaking the alignment to get ready for the DC ProSolo this coming weekend. This should be a very interesting event.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    nice brake additions

from all reports the z212 is a very good tire, the price isn't too bad either
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    nice brake additions

from all reports the z212 is a very good tire, the price isn't too bad either
    So far I very much like the brakes. The HP Plus do squeak and squeal with just driving around town. It's that touring car brake sound when they come into the pits on a caution. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes not.

Actually with Falken dropping the price of the RT-615 I was pretty torn with possibly getting another set of those. I decided to go with the Hankooks as I wanted to try something new and I figured they would be a bit better in the wet. I really wanted a set of the Toyo R1-R, but they are not available in a 225/45/17, which is as wide as I can go on my 17x7 street wheels.

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    The HP Pluses are great around town and for slower Auto X courses. I can cook them after a long fast Auto X course or a lap around a track.

The RS2s are GREAT DD tires as well as rain Auto X rubber. I LOOOOVED mine. The switch to Kumho MXs made me slower (tires alone) compared to where I used to be, but the MXs are a better track tire. I'm still waiting for some cash to free up for some RE010Rs :-)
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

The HP Pluses are great around town and for slower Auto X courses. I can cook them after a long fast Auto X course or a lap around a track.

The RS2s are GREAT DD tires as well as rain Auto X rubber. I LOOOOVED mine. The switch to Kumho MXs made me slower (tires alone) compared to where I used to be, but the MXs are a better track tire. I'm still waiting for some cash to free up for some RE010Rs :-)
    I don't think I'm hard enough on my brakes. I thought my HPS pads were fine. I am excited to see what the HP Plus can do.

Yeah, the RE01-R would be a great rain tire, but I'm not dropping that kind of coin for a set of DD/Rain tires. I dod need to get a set of shaved Dunlop Star Spec's for comp use very soon. It hurts to drop over a grand in just tires in about a month.

So far I very much like the brakes. The HP Plus do squeak and squeal with just driving around town. It's that touring car brake sound when they come into the pits on a caution. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes not.
    I know what you mean. I've been running the Axxis Ultimate pads in my car for a few months now, and they do the same thing on light braking. If I'm just squeezing the brakes they give a little squeal sometimes, but as soon as you give it a little more pedal the squeal is gone.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    If I'm just squeezing the brakes they give a little squeal sometimes, but as soon as you give it a little more pedal the squeal is gone.
    Exactly.

Banned
    My HP+s were so squealy but they really bit hard! Once I have some $ I'm getting another pair.

I Support ClubWRX
    My Impressions:
    I LOVE the stainless lines. The pedal feel is much nicer. I'm surprised it took me this long to get them on the car.
    The same ones I put on two+ years and 20k miles ago. I thought it a more subtle difference - still worth the effort. Could the grabbier pads have made the pedal feel firmer?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

That is my guess. The lines didn't do much for me, but switching from HPS (meh) to the BHP XPS pads (ZOMG!) made a huge difference.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    That is my guess. The lines didn't do much for me, but switching from HPS (meh) to the BHP XPS pads (ZOMG!) made a huge difference.
    I replaced the OEM pads with HPS the day I did the lines ... along with ATE Super Blue fluid.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

The difference isn't night and day on the lines. There's just a bit less mush, so it is a bit easier to get to the maximum limit of braking and stay there. That is all, just better pedal feel.

WDCR ProSolo

Oh my lord, what a fun weekend. Anyone who has a chance to make it out to a ProSolo should. Lot's of fun and highly recommended.

Results from the weekend:
    http://www.scca.com/documents/result...ovisional1.pdf

Thursday:
    I was up VERY late fixing the alignment and adjusting the corner balance. I had noticed a goofy noise coming from the left front on my ride up to my parents' garage Thursday night to do the alignment. I checked everything over, tightened bolts, etc. and didn't find anything horribly wrong. Oh well, we'll see what happens. The alignment went very well, but took quite a long time. I went through and dialed everything in VERY well and finally finished about 4am. Ouch.

Friday:
    With only about 4 hours of sleep I left a little later than I wanted to in the morning, but what else is new. About 15 min. of highway driving into my ride, the odd noise from the left front is back and with a vengeance. The noise would come and go, it would vary with wheels speed, and I had checked all the brake parts the night before, so I now know that the wheel bearing is dying. WTF, more broken parts??!? I really do think that the whole "car falling apart before national events deal" needs to stop.

I did a search on my DingleBerry for local Subaru Dealerships and found Annapolis Subaru. I heard of them from being over on subaruforester.org. Jackie in their parts dept. always seems to be very helpful. So I called and talked to Jackie about getting a hub with the bearing pressed on. As things turned out, on an 2005 model you need to press the bearing on the hub into the steering knuckle, so they needed the car or the loose steering knuckle. Luckily, they had the time to get the work done that afternoon and got me on my way a little after 4pm. They also washed my filthy car for me, which is good as any racer can tell you a clean car is faster than a dirty car or maybe it just feels that way...

I get to the event with 15 min. to unload my car, get the thing quickly teched and get into line for practice. I somehow with the help of some friends, managed to do this. The practice went well and I managed to line right up and throw down some pretty damn good launches.

Saturday:
    Overall, the competition Sat. went pretty well. I laid down pretty consistent RTs of 0.55-0.62 sec. (0.5 sec. is perfect) I was getting 60 ft. times of around 2.0 sec. Last years ProSolo National Champion was down into the 1.8 sec. range. I think I need some less abused tires, some weight savings, and a few more ponies to make up the difference. After the morning session I was in 2nd place behind Greg McCance, last year's series champion. For my afternoon runs, I was running along side him and I could definitely tell what the 1.8 vs. 2.0 difference is. The launch was a dead heat, and then he would just walk me from there.

I finished the day in second, just 0.8 back from him with time to pick up on both courses. This will be very tough, as losing 0.4 sec just out to the 60ft. mark on two 30 sec. courses doesn't leave much area to pick up much time.

Sunday:
    The short story is: I need to find 0.8 sec. on course somewhere. I think I know where I can find some, if not most, of that time. I need to carry more speed and brake harder to set up a perfect late apex entry into the two hard corners on each course. Between sliding through the finish line sideways on the right course (never fast) and catching a red light on the left course, I did manage to find 0.4 sec. of the time I needed only to cone that run away. Damnnit!

Greg McCance ended up finding more time anyway and finished the day 1.4 sec. ahead. He is a VERY good driver in a very well prepped car.

Overall, I had an absolute blast. I'm very much looking forward to the Finger Lakes ProSolo at the end of next month.