Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, now that I have a few moments... what a weekend!! Friday: Teh wife and I left later than I ...

Well, now that I have a few moments... what a weekend!!

Friday:
    Teh wife and I left later than I wanted to, since I had to stay at work VERY late the night before to finish up a project. We finally got everything packed up and got on the road at around 1:30. We hoped on the PA Turnpike and got about 7 mi., when the CEL came on. WTF?!??! Are you kidding me? I had my Cobb AP with me and the code came back as P0546. My EGT Probe just died. Luckily I had a spare one with me.

We got up to the Devens Airfield at about 8:15. The site was closing at 8:30, but I wanted to see the site and get a feel for the event and the locations of reg, tech, etc. We rolled out shortly after and headed to the campground to setup camp in the dark. Luckily I had some friends come over to help me and teh wife set things up. At approximately 10pm I started replacing the busted EGT probe. 45 min later the job was done and I could go to bed.

Saturday:
    We woke up at the ass crack of dawn and made our way to the site and got there around 6:45. Reg and tech are open from 7-8am that morning for late arrival slackers such as myself. Seeing as how I had plenty of time to change my wheels before tech closed, I decided this was a good idea. I swapped the rear wheels out and then moved to the front. I had a few problems with a front wheels stud galling on a lugnut earlier in the week, but I bought a 12mm x 1.25 die to clean the threads and purchased new lugnuts. It didn't help much as the trouble wheel stud grabbed the lugnut and didn't let go. I seized a lugnut! Luckily again, I had spares.

I had ~45 min to chage the wheel stud, finish swapping wheels and get myself registered and teched. Again a friend helped me with registration and I managed to get the stud changed out. After all this was done, I headed out for my one course walk and got ready for competition.

If you've been keeping up, I did change my rear spring rates the week before this event. The change actually worked rather well. It also helped me as I went out on my early runs just trying to take things easy and focus on hitting my marks and not overdrive the car. This is EXACTLY what you need to do with the course Saturday. It was a very tight course where you HAD to stay early on all the gates and slaloms to maintain speed through the sections. I managed to do well enough at this to snag 3rd place on the first day. Cy Lee & Chris Shenefield in their little '89 Civic Si were flying around this tight course.

Some shots from Saturday:

Sunday:
    The course was opened up a good bit on Sunday over the course on Saturday. I was hoping to have the room to let teh turboz & teh All Wheel Drivez run that little Civic down. On my first run I left so much out on the course! The course was VERY fast. I needed to drive like crazy on my next run, so I went out and really pushed the car to a 59.5, which was quite fast for the day. Cy finished his second run 0.3 slower than my time. I needed 0.7 on my last run to even have a shot of grabbing his second place, so I decided that with my 3rd place for the event pretty well in the bag to go out and shoot for the stars on the last run. I was flying through the first section and then immediately carried too much speed into the hard right. I got the car slowed and ripped it through the next section. I then plowed the car through the next hard right. Damn! I then had too much speed and got late on the gates after the corner. I had to throw the car around a hard transition where the rear end came out and I ended up doing a four wheel drift into the next gate, which caused me to carry too much speed and forced me off course. The overheated front tires didn't grip and I punted two cones in a cone wall into the grass. The run was trashed. I bee-lined it to the finish and called it a day. Cy ended up picking up 0.6 on his last run and got me by 0.3 for the day. Overall, not too bad.

Pics in Grid from Sunday:

This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    good thing you carry lots of spare bits! sounds like a hectic couple of days, but well, well worth it

out of curiosity why is the civic running STX- lsd?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Yeah, Cy's car has a Quaife.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    good thing you carry lots of spare bits! sounds like a hectic couple of days, but well, well worth it
    No joke! I'm pretty lucky that I had a spare EGT probe and wheel studs.

out of curiosity why is the civic running STX- lsd?
    Yup, they installed a quaife. Those guys also run in my region and have been killing me this year. Chris Shenefield has been pulling down times that are good for STU in that car!

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Mike told me you had some fun!

Yay for spare parts!

I'm making an order up for Tristan so I can have a few spares as well... Did they check CELs at Tech?

Man I am glad someone is making progress on their car!!!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Did they check CELs at Tech?
    Nope.

The car is coming along. I think I may need to get my rear dampers revalved a bit softer in the rear for the new springs. I had them taken up a good bit in the beginning of the season and now I'm thinking they are too stiff for the softer springs.

I'll be doing some maintenance items on the car over the weekend, and getting ready for the DC ProSolo.

Interesting... I would have thought that with all of the hollering that people have been doing over the CEL someone would look for it! I guess maybe at nationals tech...

I was really wanting to go to the DC pro solo and treat myself to a birthday present! But I was told I couldn't take off the time to drive there and back... if only I could fly my car there...
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think tech is where they will be checking- it's more likely in a protest situation

Good point!

I continue to hope that my catless exhaust will not throw a code... I have my hands on a random tech cat to weld into my cheap Ebay downpipe.
    Race hard or go home!

I don't think tech is where they will be checking- it's more likely in a protest situation
    Exactly. The policing in SCCA Solo is the responsibility of the competitors. Neither the event organizers, nor the SCCA itself is responsible for making sure the competition is fair, so Tech will only check the safety of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    I continue to hope that my catless exhaust will not throw a code...
    Catless? You do need to have one cat in your exhaust. Uppipe maybe?

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so general question about cone punting. Doesn't hitting comes leave dings or marks on your car?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    OK so general question about cone punting. Doesn't hitting comes leave dings or marks on your car?
    Dings, not usually. Marks, yes. Typically you will get a smear of cone material left on the car where you swiped the cone. The cone can also leave little scratches in the paint if there is some surface grit on the car.

The cone smear will usually rub off with your hand, if not claybar will work wonders. For the small scratches, claybar followed by some polish has removed any marks I've ever picked up.

It has been a bit of a rough year, right now my sideskirts are covered with dead cone.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had good luck w/ Mothers wax/cleaner for cone marks- that was w/ the one cone I hit three, or was it four years ago

I've had good luck w/ Mothers wax/cleaner for cone marks- that was w/ the one cone I hit three, or was it four years ago
    Yeah, Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Catless? You do need to have one cat in your exhaust. Uppipe maybe?
    Yes, catless, which in my region I am not worried about. because I am the only STX guy there is so I don't give myself a trophy.

I do have a random tech cat that I am going to weld into an eBay downpipe ahead of the o2 sensor.
    Race hard or go home!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.