Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Long overdue update! I've spent much of this season so far dialing the car to a point where I'm happy ...

Long overdue update!

I've spent much of this season so far dialing the car to a point where I'm happy with it. I think I'm finally getting to that point. I may make some tweaks to alignment or damping, but that's about the point that I'm at we're now starting to get down to the little minor touches on the setup.

I've also decided to reattach the rear swaybar. It is very much a problem with the way that I drive the car than with the car itself. With my old setup last year, I could still throw the car around on course and the soft springs would allow me catch the rear end and recover quickly. These MUCH stiffer spring do not allow the car to recover from the inputs of a ham-fisted driver nearly as quickly. Once I start to drive the car with some finesse, the thing flies.

Here are some pics from the last AutoX this last weekend:

My favorite...

I'm starting to get ready for the Devens Tour coming up soon.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    My favorite...

I'm starting to get ready for the Devens Tour coming up soon.
    That look on your face is great!

Man JR! While you're going forward, I seem to be going backwards... Good Times!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Man JR! While you're going forward, I seem to be going backwards... Good Times!
    You should stop doing that.

It's taken quite a long time of paying around with my setup to get to this point. I still have much work to do on my driving.

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Yeah yeah yeah,...

Going to update my thread...
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    I think the real truth here lies with the relationship of where the strut and the endlinks mount to the control arm. If the endlink mounts apporximately half way between the ball joint and the pivot of the control arm, then when the end of the control travels 1" the endlink travels 0.5".

So, if you have 500 lb/in springs it just took 500 lb force to move the control arm 1", and if you have a 1600 lb/in swaybar, it took 800 lb force to deflect the swaybar through that same motion.

Edit: Well, I'm giving this even more thought and to calculate these swaybar spring rate values I assumed that the other end of the swaybar was being held fixed, however a 0.5" defection upward should also cause a 0.5" deflection downward on the opposite control arm. So, all in all I'd say that these numbers are fairly accurate, assuming my measurement of the swaybar "arm" is reasonable. This is probably the largest source of potential error.
    That's the motion ratio of the swaybar, just like the motion ratio of the spring. And it should be a ^2 relationship with distance. So if the sway control arm sway mount moves 0.5" for every 1" of wheel motion, then the spring rate at the wheel would be the sway stiffness * 0.5^2.

And that's exactly right.. in roll, the outer wheel bump is equal to the inner wheel droop so the sway is essentially twisting "twice" as much as you'd think. One reason why they provide disproportionately high levels of roll resistance but don't impact one-wheel bump ride harshness that much.

How do you like that lower bar? I was thinking of getting it to help get rid of windsheild creaking...
    2006 WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mind View Post
    How do you like that lower bar? I was thinking of getting it to help get rid of windsheild creaking...
    Do you mean my larger front sway? So far, it has accomplished what I had hoped it would. Right now the car is balanced in roll and I'm starting the process of adjusting the smaller items.

Actually I was asking about the Cusco Type I Lower Arm Bar. My windshield is creaking due to body flex and I was wondering how much stiffness the lower arm may have provided. Probably you changed so many things at once though so it would be difficult to tell...
    2006 WRX Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mind View Post
    Actually I was asking about the Cusco Type I Lower Arm Bar. My windshield is creaking due to body flex and I was wondering how much stiffness the lower arm may have provided. Probably you changed so many things at once though so it would be difficult to tell...
    Yeah, that lower arm bar isn't going to do anything for your windshield. You are correct that I added so much at once it is difficult to tell the difference it made. It was rather inexpensive, so there it sits.

Well, I still can't quite believe I'm typing this, but alas I am.

I have decided to drop my rear spring rates the week before my first National Tour at Devens. I still think I am a bit crazy.

This decision was made based on the fact that I have tried everything I possibly can to get the rear of my car to actually stick. The event this last Sunday the car was still VERY loose in transition. The rear of the car simply can't keep up with what the front end is doing.

So far the rear dampers feel as though they are still within the range of adjustment to be well matched with the new softer spring rates.

I still have plenty of rebound & swaybar adjustment if I end up needing to add in some roll stiffness. I guess I will have to see what will happen this weekend at Devens.

I still think this is pretty crazy.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    some folks like to drive a really loose car, count me as one who doesn't

how soft is soft?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX

how soft is soft?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I very much do like a car that has some loose dialed in, but this car will come around WAY to easily. So much so that I am unable to really push the car as I know I'll just spin it.

Congrats to JR for trophying at Devens!

I Support ClubWRX
    Noice!

Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    Congrats to JR for trophying at Devens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Noice!
    Thanks guys.

I should get a shot of the "trophy" up.

Results for anyone who cares:
    http://scca.com/documents/resultfile...ovisional9.pdf

I'll add up more tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.