Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; nice thread OTS springs- you can post the spring rates- your among friends yup liquid filled are the rear bushings- ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    nice thread

OTS springs- you can post the spring rates- your among friends

yup liquid filled are the rear bushings- I was hoping you didn't have to resort to drilling and cutting

is the offset in the bushing fully rearward or full forward (I'm thinking rearward but would like to be sure)

Paul as you already have the bushings ready to go- your install will be much simpler- remove the subframe, remove the two (very high torqued) bolts, pry the end of the arm down until you can reach the rearward nut holding the bushing onto the arm-remove, put you new one on, torque the rear nut, torque the two bolts, re-install subframe

JR- that's a good idea on scales and alignment tools- you guys will recoup the costs quickly!

Did they happen to send you dynographs when they revalved them?

These are single adjustable correct? I'd suggest starting at full soft and working up (taking good notes) slowly- once you get them roughed in then you can you can fine tune front vs rear.

Mike
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    OTS springs- you can post the spring rates- your among friends
    Friends can always send me a PM and ask. I think I already told you anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    is the offset in the bushing fully rearward or full forward (I'm thinking rearward but would like to be sure)
    The offset in the bushing moves the pivot point of the control arm away from the centerline of the car.

Did they happen to send you dynographs when they revalved them?
    Tein's shock dyno is broken. I'm really quite a bit upset about this as this really doesn't give me any baseline to work off of.

These are single adjustable correct? I'd suggest starting at full soft and working up (taking good notes) slowly- once you get them roughed in then you can you can fine tune front vs rear.
    Tein calls them a double adjustable, with combined compression & rebound adjustment, but from talking with some people that have experience with the damper, there really isn't much that changes with compression over the range. So, I'm almost thinking of them as a single adjustable damper. Again, this is all a guess as I don't have dyno plots.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post

Hey Tyler! Hopefully I'll get to see you out at some events this year?

These bushings are legal as they are an offset bushing that uses the OE mount.
    So it is the mount that is the problem? So if I bought the Perrin kit it would be illegal, but the whiteline isn't becuase you are not replacing the mount? confused.......

I hope to get out this year too, but already the first two events I am going to have to scratch off the calendar, my daughters Christening is April 19th, and I am doing the Pocono east course HPDE on May 3rd so those weekends are out of the picture. I am going to try to get a few events but by no means worried about being competitive.
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by rtstone View Post
    So it is the mount that is the problem? So if I bought the Perrin kit it would be illegal, but the whiteline isn't becuase you are not replacing the mount? confused.......

I hope to get out this year too, but already the first two events I am going to have to scratch off the calendar, my daughters Christening is April 19th, and I am doing the Pocono east course HPDE on May 3rd so those weekends are out of the picture. I am going to try to get a few events but by no means worried about being competitive.
    That is incorrect. You buy the Whiteline ALK, and you are illegal. you must by the offest bushing that does in the STOCK bracket.

JR, that's interested on the brace and as I read it again that does sound like it is legal! Send a friend a PM on those rates :-)

By the way, those red 4 pots also make a nice little indention in your forehead!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by rtstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    That is incorrect. You buy the Whiteline ALK, and you are illegal. you must by the offest bushing that does in the STOCK bracket.
    That whole line of discussion just confused me, so I'm going to clarify. I think we'll all talking the same thing, but just to be sure...

Tyler, you are correct. Any ALK replaces the stock mount with a lower mount. It is the act of replacing the mount that makes the ALK illegal. The Whiteline KCA375 bushing is simply an offset bushing that reuses the stock OE mount and is therefore legal. Also, the KCA375 bushing is NOT an ALK.

Paul, PM sent.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 03-29-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks for the better clarification.

PM responded.

I must say I am a big fan of these build threads, it makes it easier to keep our builds in mind when talking about setup!

Do you guys have any big events up your way mid summer? I've gotta go visit family!
    Race hard or go home!

thanks for the clarification

I didn't know that the mount was different than stock on the ALK. got ya.

So I am interested in the difference in caster you see whith that bushing, and also to see how that translates to feel and response in the car. Seems like a worthy mod.

I was looking to go to all group n bushings but I am going to wait till next year and hopefully redo my entire suspension
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    the ALK does three things- removes some of the anti dive/lift that the factory dialed in, increases static positive caster, provides a firmer rear bushing

the ALK mount is different than stock- thus the requirement of shimming the subframe slightly

the offset bushing accomplishes two- typically adding more caster (usually in the .5 degree range) and adding a firmer bushing

visiting w/ WL a person could orientate the bushing another 90 degrees and have some effect on anti-dive/lift, but you'd see no change in caster

JR my memory sucks- I'll send you a pm

Do you guys have any big events up your way mid summer? I've gotta go visit family!
    I'm planning on having a big event on the weekend on Aug. 9-10th. It's our Hobert memorial. Two day event, run very much like a national event. We'll should also have a good bit of national competition as well from our Region, WDCR, & NNJR

I Support ClubWRX
    The offset in the bushing moves the pivot point of the control arm away from the centerline of the car.
    finally got under the car and got this figured out

the offset goes outboard of the center line "pushing" the wheel slightly forward (positive caster)

finally got under the car and got this figured out

the offset goes outboard of the center line "pushing" the wheel slightly forward (positive caster)
    Bingo.

I'm planning on having a big event on the weekend on Aug. 9-10th. It's our Hobert memorial. Two day event, run very much like a national event. We'll should also have a good bit of national competition as well from our Region, WDCR, & NNJR
    That would be about the right time for me to head up there... humm... Keep me posted!
    Race hard or go home!

Also to update, I had a very nice discussion with Poltec about my issues with my rear endlinks. I'm going to get them measurements over the weekend, and they will get me the length endlink I require. So far, I've been very pleased with their service.
    Update on Poltec: I got Poltec a few measurements of my rear swaybar dimensions to make sure the replacement parts they send will work. They should be sending the parts out today.

Sadly I will not have my coilovers back before this weekend, so I'm going to miss our first event. It's not a points event, but I was hoping to start collection some setup data. I actually may have a weekend off from working on the car which would be quite nice.

That would be about the right time for me to head up there... humm... Keep me posted!
    Will do.

I Support ClubWRX
    JR did you have to send your coilovers back in?

JR did you have to send your coilovers back in?
    I did send my rear dampers back to Tein. The whole process has been a little backward, but they have been very helpful. Paul over in their tech dept. so far has been fantastic.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.