Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cool, it sounds like there are a variety of options then. Thanks for looking up the height!...

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool, it sounds like there are a variety of options then.

Thanks for looking up the height!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

John, sorry I missed your discussion. I helped a friend with RCE wagon springs and they were 13.5" hub to fender, F&R IIRC.

A quick update, I should hopefully finish getting my motor back together this week. I have the bottom end assembled with the heads on. Now I need to finish working on all the accessories and get the motor back in the car. This will hopefully happen next Saturday.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    John, sorry I missed your discussion. I helped a friend with RCE wagon springs and they were 13.5" hub to fender, F&R IIRC.

A quick update, I should hopefully finish getting my motor back together this week. I have the bottom end assembled with the heads on. Now I need to finish working on all the accessories and get the motor back in the car. This will hopefully happen next Saturday.
    Good to hear about your motor - I wish I was closer to help out.

Very long overdue update.

1. My motor currently has almost 3k so far uneventful miles on it. :knocksonwood:

2. As some of you might know, I'm not going to be competing in STX next year. I will be moving to FMod.

Below are some pictures of a Formula 500 car that I will campaigning next year:

This little go kart weighs about 500 lbs w/o drivers and is powered by a 500cc Rotax snowmobile motor with a CVT drive. Basically it has more power than you can really use on an AutoX course and it will pull ~1.4g in a corner. I can't wait.

Now the Racin' Wagon gets relegated to DD and oddly enough with the lightweight of my new racecar, towing duties. I already own the trailer hitch, and a 5'x8' utility trailer will be coming shortly.

Also now that I don't have a rule book to tell me what I can do to my wagon, I have some other plans for the car soon. Again, can't wait.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 12-02-2009 at 08:44 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Dude, you've got to be kidding. If I could just have an hour in that thing. Sweet@!

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Dude, you've got to be kidding. If I could just have an hour in that thing. Sweet@!
    I know. I can't even begin to think how much fun this is going to be.

Here's a run I did in someone else's FM car:
    YouTube - JR Run 1

I Support ClubWRX
    You lucky dog...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    well that explains the change in suspension in your wagon
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

That thing looks like it's going to be a blast. Hope you have some fun.

I hope to be able to come down to philly this summer to start watching some of the events. Thinking about getting into it after I get done with college in spring, 2011. Hopefully I can see this beast in action.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Thinking about getting into it after I get done with college in spring, 2011. Hopefully I can see this beast in action.
    Actually the Philly SCCA Solo program will be working very hard to secure what could likely be the premiere Solo site on the east coast hopefully by 2011.

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually the Philly SCCA Solo program will be working very hard to secure what could likely be the premiere Solo site on the east coast hopefully by 2011.
    big? good access? close to a bridge(hopefully CBB )?
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

All the more reason to get into it then.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Street Suspension Thoughts & Comments

This first item that needed to be dealt with as part of Project Street Wagon was the suspension. The coilovers needed to come off and something that made use of my Koni's need to go on.

Parts:

Dampers - 8610 Koni Inserts
    Springs - RCE Wagon (295 lb/in front & 275 lb/in rear)
    Front Top Hats - Whiteline Com C
    Rear Top hats - Stock
    Front Swaybar - Perrin 25mm
    Rear Swaybar - Hotchkis 25mm hollow

I still have all of the hardened bushings in the car from STX.

Background:

I selected this combination of parts for a few reasons. I'd like to discuss a few of these reasons and why I think is setup is pretty damn close to about perfect. These are just a few of my thoughts so take them for what they are worth.

Dampers - These will make or break the ride of your car. There is much thought that should be put into damper selection.

Springs - I was looking for something stiff, but still livable day to day. I came to this setup from a prepped STX car, so I had my fair share of 500+ lb/in springs. I needed a break.

Front Top Hats - I need something with a rubber mount. Pillowball mounts are fun to a point. I am also a fan of caster and camber.

Rear Top Hats - I need something with a rubber mount. Aside from that...

Swaybars - My STX bars are about perfect.

Impressions:

I got this suspension on over this last weekend, and drove it to work today. I then took it to get an alignment tonight. Alignment specs:

Front Camber: -2.0
    Rear Camber: -1.3 (-1.0 to -1.5 is a good range)

Overall, I am seriously impressed with this setup. It is everything I hoped it would be. The handling isn't quite what it was with the STX setup, but it really doesn't lose nearly what I thought it would.

Dampers - Konis are just butter. Quality dampers are required for any suspension.

Springs - Somewhere around 250-300 lb/in range is about perfect for street use, albeit maybe a bit too stiff for some. These springs lower perfectly. Not too low, just right.

Front Top Hats - The whiteline Com C mounts are a well made peice, that are priced right, and give some added camber and caster; things that everyone needs. I will say that I think Whitelines claims are a bit inflated:

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteline
    Control with comfort - Com C uses Group N spec low compliance rubber & twin shielded bearing design. Extra +0.75 deg caster & -0.5 deg camber for potential +5.0 deg total caster & -3.5 deg camber depending on vehicle. Whiteline Product Info link
    I think the amounts of caster and camber gain are reasonable, but the overall numbers can be largely ignored.

Rear Top Hats - If someone can really give me a decent reason to use something other than stock for street use, I'd love to hear it.

Swaybars - Something a bit larger in the front to limit body roll is good. The rear is more of a dial to suit, and your standard 22mm (25mm hollow) covers this range about perfect.

I seriously love this suspension and I am looking forward to many years of enjoyment.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 12-08-2009 at 06:08 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice!

This will help motivate me hopefully to put mine on this week.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    JR -sounds like you have it dialed in nicely

I never made it to the 500# end of the spectrum, my cars have always seen double duty as the "boss's" daily driver first and my weekend "toy" second. With good dampers, a firm (but not overly firm) spring, moderate sways, uprated bushings, good alignment and good tires I never felt like I was giving up a ton of performance- some to be certain, but not as much as some folks would think.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman