Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 15
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Damn! So close. But congrats for being so competitive! Give 'em hell in Solo!!!...

I Support ClubWRX
    Damn! So close.

But congrats for being so competitive!

Give 'em hell in Solo!!!
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    JR- what an emotional roller coaster! wish the announcer would have been correct, still a good finish.

what did you do w/ tire pressures on day two to help?

fresh start w/ Nationals- give 'em hell!
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    CONGRATS JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL about the timing equipment!

Our region bought Alpine Skiing timing stuff so that it was water proof! :-)
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Banned
    Good job, chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    what did you do w/ tire pressures on day two to help?
    I lowered my front pressures to 6 psi lower than what I normally run dry. I upped the rear pressures to right at about what I run dry. The rear pressure really helped to get the rear to rotate.

fresh start w/ Nationals- give 'em hell!
    I did! I'm currently 3rd.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post

I did! I'm currently 3rd.

JR- Holy $hit!!!!!!! that was a great 3rd run. Keep up the good work and the very best luck to you tomorrow!

Mike

Finally a recap from Nationals... I've been busy.

So, I'm finally able to grab a few moments to talk about the trip to nationals. This is what happens when you find out during your drive back from Kansas that you are going to be sent up to Buffalo, NY to teach training sessions at a power plant for two weeks.

Anyhoo... Overall this was a very fun event. Both the East and West courses were some of the best courses I've run. I overheard some more seasoned competitors venting their displeasure, but I seriously thought they were quite good, albeit maybe a bit short.

The east course was a very transitional course with a super fun, full out, drag race back section that also had like a wavy few "kinks" in it. It really was a whole bunch of fun and rewarded the driver that had the cohones to keep the go fast pedal to the floor.

The west course was much more of a fast and open sweeper course with a tight "lane change" section in it and a few pinch gates leading into the biggest skid pad I've seen. I never really quite got around that as I should have.

Tuesday
    I started out the day with plenty of course walks and my head on straight, or so I thought... Basically once I got into grid my mind started to run in circles... did I have anything??? What did I forget??? I did my best to leave it all out of my mind and focus on the course. It is after all, just autocross, right? This thought process sort of worked a bit I guess, but that was quickly over once I pulled out of grid. Let me say this, nationals is a completely different ballgame at least at some level. The amount of people and the many things going on are really mind boggling. All of this really does begin to overwhelm a bit during your first time out there and I must say I thought I was doing well with thinking, "This is just autocross." That was indeed all over once I left grid.

As I'm pulling up to the line I'm really trying to think about all of my different driving ques and lines out on course, but all I could really think was, "I'm going to run my first national, and I hope I don't **** this up." So yeah, my first run was very slow and dirty. I knew I was slow, but I had hoped that I was at least close to some of the leaders times. The answer to that questions was a resounding NO. I was over 2 sec. of the pace not even including the cone. I had my work cut out for me, but I really felt I knew the course and could find time.

For the second run I wanted to get a clean useful time, so I focused on hitting my line as perfectly as I could. I thought I was about perfect on the line, and I finished the run with a clean time. I picked up over 1 sec. Still slow, but acceptable. I told myself that if I had to take this time into tomorrow I could live with that, and now I had to go out and grab the time I knew that I had left on so many areas out there.

As I line up for my last run of the day, I review my last run in my mind, and I focus on the areas where I need to find speed. I have a good line, I just need to drive it fast. So, with a clean 2nd run, I'm going to go for it and drive the hell out of the car and see what I can do. I take off from the gate and stay as early as I can on everything which will allow me to carry as much speed as I can into the right hand sweeper into the slalom. This section was great! The slalom was maybe a bit slow, but I got through it and get right back on the throttle as soon as I could to dive hard under braking into a turn around left hander into the drag race back section. I over cooked this section *just* a bit, but was able to do a quick saw on the wheel to bring the tires back on to the slip angle and then right back into the throttle, which I didn't let off for anything through this back section. Jebus Christ was it fast. I still don't have faintest idea how I didn't hit anything. I had to give a good hard stab to the brakes to make sure I didn't overshoot the next pinch gate, which looking back on it, I may not have needed to do. Oh well. Back on to hard acceleration into a braking zone for a left hand sweeping entrance into a quick three cone slalom and then into a much tighter three cone slalom (think Chicago Box). This was accomplished by giving up speed to get WAY early going into this tight slalom, and if you did it right instead of clobbering the "Kenny" cone coming out, you could be on the throttle flat foot through the finish. Very fun finish.

Well, this run felt great! Maybe save for the slight push in the turn around and the quick brake stab coming out of the fast back section, it was about perfect. My reward for my driving effort was a 40.996, which was good for third place! As I came across the line the crowd of spectators, which included many friends, erupts into cheers for the time I just laid down. Somehow I managed to stay off the cones and lay down a time fast enough to be in 3rd place. Crazy.

Wednesday

Wednesday was the west course which I thought would be a great course for my car and it was, it's just that with the loss of one of our losts last year, I really don't get to run many sweeper courses much anymore. It showed a bit on this course. Also for reasons that escape me, my car was very loose. I definaitely could've drove the car a bit better, but I was kinda driving a bit more delacately than I should've given how loose the car was.

First run was going to be my go like crazy run. I wanted to see what I could get away with, and I ended up spinning it. Yeah. The second run I went out to get my safe run for the day, which I did but it just wasn't fast. I need to find more time out there to stay with the top guys. With my last run opf the event coming up, I started to focus on where I could find this time. I really left time all over the course, so this really left me trying to clean up most of the entire run. This is not so easy to do. Focusing one two or three problem areas isn't bad, but once it becomes at least half the course or more... not good.

I pull up to the line for the last run and simply try to focus on carrying speed and being smooth. Much of the run was just a bit smoother, but I still couldn't stay on the throttle through the "lane change" with the rear end as loose as it was. I went through the "showcase" corner and the pinch gates well. The big giant skid pad was never good for me. I kept letting myself get suckered in by the first cone and then I couldn't get the car to settle through the corner due to WAY too much driver input. I did get the car out of the skid pad well and through the finish pretty fast, but I left WELL too much time screwing around in the skid pad. I did manage to pick up three tenths, but this was still easily five tenths off the leaders, and at a national that is an eternity. With this, both Billy Brooks and Chris Shenefield were able to jump ahead of me into 3rd and 4th. I'm still absolutely amazed with my 5th place finish.

Trophy shot...

Event Pictures

Losing the back end on my first run, west course.

Going through the "showcase" corner...

When I was taking a picture of the trophy from nationals, I decided to grab a shot of the hardware I've been collecting over the past three years:

Top Center Wall: 2007 SJR STX Champion
    Left Wall: 2008 PA State Championships - 2nd place STX
    Right Wall: 2007 NE Divisional - 4th place STX
    Left License Plate: 2008 WDC ProSolo - 2nd place STX
    Right License Plate: 2008 Finger Lakes ProSolo - 1st place STX
    Left Helmet: 2007 Philly STX Champion
    Right Helmet: 2006 Philly Season - 4th place STX
    Glass Thingy: 2007 SJR PAX - 4th place
    Metal Thingy: 2008 Devens National Tour - 3rd place STX
    Center: 2008 SCCA National Solo - 5th place STX

It's been a good few years of racing.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 10-09-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That looks like a hard won collection, congrats!!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats again

nice write up- lets the rest of us live vicariously through your exploits

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That looks like a hard won collection, congrats!!
    congrats again

nice write up- lets the rest of us live vicariously through your exploits
    Thanks guys. It really was a fun year.

That's the second time someone mentioned "living through my explots". Hmmm... do I have fans? Nah...

I did want to get this write up done sooner, but I just couldn't do it with all the things I've had going on these last few weeks.

Mike, speaking of living vicariously, I'm seriously loving your '09. If I didn't have my car as far along as I do, I might just do it and get one. I like my wagon and I'm going to keep her.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 10-11-2008 at 06:56 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    when you get a chance email me the sway spread sheet

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Congrats jr!!!!!!!!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

when you get a chance email me the sway spread sheet
    I'll send it over tonight. midrivers email still good?

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Congrats jr!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Paul!