Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 14
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks guys! Nationals prep sucks. Done the major stuff, but still need to check the corner balance and alignment....

Thanks guys!

Nationals prep sucks. Done the major stuff, but still need to check the corner balance and alignment.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post

I will have an update hopefully tomorrow, or Tuesday. Nationals prep...
    Come on, what's to do? Insure that you have an adequate supply of dollar bills for Baby Dolls?

See you in a week or so, I'll be the guy letting the air out yo' tires.
    2002 78STX

Quote Originally Posted by McCanixx View Post
    Come on, what's to do? Insure that you have an adequate supply of dollar bills for Baby Dolls?
    I have a few things going on. Sadly a leaky rear trans seal is one them. Fixed that last night.

I still have a few other things I'm trying to finish up. Also my co-driver just had his gall bladder removed, so he might not make it now. Crazy.

if you speak of the seal from the tranny that the drive shaft comnes out of, i am having that probem. what did you do to fix that up? and at what cost
    04' WRB wagon stage 2
    wagon Mafia #1 Where my wagons at?

August Update!

This month was absolutely crazy, but tons of fun. I also added some new parts to the mix recently, so I updated my power mods list.

Philly SCCA Al Holbert Memorial, Aug. 9-10
    The month started off with this event. This is our big event for the season, and when I took over as Solo Chair for Philly Region I decided to try to make this event something special. I originally planned this event for the weekend of Aug. 31st, but moved very early before the season to miss a few other local events. About a month later I come to find out the NESCCA as scheduled the NE Divisional for the same week.

This weekend consumed quite a good bit of the weeks leading up to the event with the Finger Lakes ProSolo being a mere two weeks prior to this event.

Saturday:

The schedule was for 3 runs in the morning and another 3 runs in the afternoon. The course was designed by Cy Lee and it was absolutely wonderful. Sadly with the distraction of planning and running the event, I really drove for ****. I was unable to get a clean run out of six runs that day. That's racing as they say...

Sunday:
    Sunday's course was probably one of the better courses we've ever had at this site. Andre Downey designs courses for South Jersey Region did an amazing job for his first time designing a course at Warminster. It was loads of fun and had some very interesting and challenging elements to it. I ran in the afternoon and we had some weather (thunder storms with light rain) and it looked like the afternoon may end up being a wet course. The rain held off for the beginning of of the afternoon and the race was on for who could lay down their fast clean run before the rain took the dry course from us. That guy ended up being me, so even with my dirty runs from Saturday I managed to grab second place behind Cy Lee and his little white Civic. Chasing that thing around is becoming aggravating. If I could've used my fast raw time from Saturday I would've only been a few tenths off of Cy's time for the weekend.

ASCC PA State Championships, Aug. 16-17
    This was a very fun event. The lot at the Harrisburg Farm Show is of pretty good size and the experienced course designers of Allen Kugler and Dave Newman were able to make some very and enjoyable courses.

Saturday:
    My goal on Saturday was to get myself in a position to have a shot at Cy Sunday. The course had what was really a drag race start to it. It didn't allow you to finish running out into second gear, but I knew I had to be pretty aggressive on the launch to give myself some time on the other tighter elements in the course. I very much running at events out of my region as I am able to really focus on my driving as I should and get my runs very dialed. I did acheive my goal for Saturday and was only down a little over a tenth to Cy. I knew I had to step up my game on Sunday.

Sunday:
    Cy was fast on Sunday, but I was right there with him. I wasn't quite able on my first few runs to quite get everything right. We were both leaving time out on course. With only one run left to find the time I needed on this course and the time from Saturday, I knew I must plan my run, hit my marks, and drive with precision. I ran through the course in my mind focusing on car position and speed control. I staged for the last run knowing that I need to drop about 3 tenths to catch the little Civic.

The mental preparation was paying off, I was driving a great line and carrying great speed where I could. I had this little buggy flying! I come through a corner into a small three cone slalom into the last hard right hand corner for the course carrying a TON of speed. Apparantly too much speed, as I missed the braking zone and pushed WELL too deep into this corner. I am now hard on the brakes trying to get the car slowed and I am simply out of room. I need to get the car turned. A real quick flick of the steering wheel gets the car turned, but with so little weight on the rear tires from the hard brake on the entrance, the car is now sideways. With little else to do, I plant the throttle to the floor and hope the weight transfer to the rear will get the rear end planted. No dice, I am now doing a sideways four wheel drift under full throttle all while making myself horribly late for the entrance to the slalom finish that kinks back to the left. With all my real estate used up, I am forced to throw the car back to the left and hope I can rotate the car around the first gate and catch the slide to set up for the slalom. Yeah... There is no other way to say, but this just goes horribly wrong. The rear end never has a chance to get grip and goes out to the right and I'm not catching it. I give the car one more shot and throw it back around the next slalom cone while trying to stab the throttle real quick to get the rear end to stick. A very graceful 180 deg. pirouette toward a scattering worker station is the finale for this maneuver.

I know if I was able to keep that run under me, I would've killed Cy's time for the day and would've taken the win, but again, that is racing as they say.

Warminster, Aug. 31

Not much to say other than the course was amazingly technical. Many of our national level drivers only had one clean run out of five attempts. I was unable to find a clean run (I hope this does become a recurring problem). My raw times were even off a good bit. This was not such a great event. Yeah well, you will have this.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 09-05-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXwagonMAFIA View Post
    if you speak of the seal from the tranny that the drive shaft comnes out of, i am having that probem. what did you do to fix that up? and at what cost
    That is exactly the seal. Luckily it is also easy to replace, and a new seal shouldn't be much more than a few dollars.

1. Remove the driveshaft by disconnecting the drvieshaft from the rear diff. A 14mm wrench is needed for the driveshaft cover at the rear diff and the center support. A 12mm wrench and maybe a buddy to stomp on the brakes is needed for the rear diff flange.

2. Once you remove the driveshaft from the transmission, you can see the seal. Carefully use a seal puller to remove the seal from the transmission case. DO NOT damage the inside edge.

3. Put a light coat of gear oil on the new seal and with your fingers lightly press the new seal into place.

4. Carefully reinstall the driveshaft into your new seal and torque all the blots back up.

5. Profit.

I'll be Kansas bound in under 4 hours.

Hey y'all. I've made it to St. Louis, Mo. So far I've learned the following about this trip:

1. It is far.
    2. Wheeling, WV is a dump.

I'm looking forward to making it into Topeka later this night and taking a nap. I'm tired.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good Luck Jr!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Give em hell!

JR,

I'm at the super 8 on wannamaker.

I'm sure I'll see you around Heartland park tomorrow.

Oh, yeah if you hadn't guessed I'm already here!
    2002 78STX

Quote Originally Posted by McCanixx View Post
    I'm at the super 8 on wannamaker.
    +1

I saw your car on the trailer as I pulled in. Nice Enkei's.

I'll see you tomorrow at HPT.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Good Luck Jr!
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    Give em hell!
    Thanks fellers. I will indeed try.

tod
    Good luck and have fun!

Looks like it's gonna' be pretty damp in KS this weekend - good for the AWD crowd.
    Last edited by tod; 09-11-2008 at 07:40 PM.

ProSolo Finale Update

This is going to be a bit of a quick update as I need to get over to the site for things today...

The story of the ProSolo Finale was RAIN. It rained through practice on Thursday, all day Friday, and through most of the morning on Saturday. Everyone was running in the rain. Thursday's practice starts were good to get a feel of how the car was going to launch in the rain. I never quite got a launch I really liked in the rain on Thurs. or Fri.

Friday
    I was running in one of the last sessions, so I'm sitting in Paddock trying to stay dry, listening to the event. Things were running smoothly until the timing system simply quit. Why the SCCA hasn't invested in waterproof professional equipment for national events, I will never know. So, they spent some time working to get the timing system back up with no luck and desided to make the morning runs a non-timed "practice".

My car was pretty bad in the rain. So, I made some changes during the mid-day for the afternoon session. The afternoon session was better, but I need to drive a bid better and I needed more rotation out of the car. Overall, I liked the car, but I just needed a bit more help from the rear end to get it to turn. I finished the day in sixth. Not where I wanted to be. I had some work to do the next day.

Saturday
    I really focused Saturday morning on my line and controlling my entry speeds on course. This payed off in spades. I also took a stab at changing some tire pressures to help give me the rotation I needed. This worked like a charm. I went out on my first right side run, and laid down a quick time (+cone). Oh well, at least I know the car can be fast. The next left side run felt great. I did overdrive the car in a few spots. So I had a few things to clean up, but I did have a solid time. Back to the right side. I needed a fast clean run from this last shot. I managed to get a clean one, but it wasn't quite as fast. (This is what happens when you're driving to be clean.) The time was respectable, but not quite "fast". I knew I left the door open.

Now, with a solid time on the left from the last run I needed to try to close the door. The launch was great, and the run was very fast and fluid. I knew I had a good run going. The run was very fast and they announced me in second place. Greg McCance still needed to run yet, but I was thrilled. Even if McCance catches me, I still get a trophy! So yeah, McCance does catch me, but I'm still trilled about my first trophy at Nationals. STX is all in impound waiting for results, and when they show up, I'm in 4th. WTF? Remember kids, announced results are unofficial. So, the announcer oopsed, and I really was in 4th only 0.190 out of 3rd. Still not too bad to run with the national folks. That 4th place was not good enough for a trophy and also gave 4th place for the ProSolo Season, also one out of a trophy spot. Dammit!

So, overall I didn't run too badly. I think I came out and competed well. Now, on to the National Solo.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 10-09-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Had the dates wrong... huh?