Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon - Page 12
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

This is a discussion on Teh Cone Dodgin' STX Wagon within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Shaved?...

I Support ClubWRX

Shaved?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post

Shaved?
    That's a very personal question...

not yet.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    That's a very personal question...

not yet.
    well ... you know.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

So my 235/40/17 Dunlop Star Specs arrived yesterday. I wanted to take some pics, I just didn't really have the time. I will be taking them up to a local place, The Tire Shoppe very helpful and great prices, to get the tire mounted, shaved, and balanced. The price is very reasonable since it will also include the mount and balance.

So far I'm pretty well amazed by the Star Specs. They are every bit a wide as my Yokos, if not wider. The tire construction is STOUT! The sidewall is very stuff. I'm quite excited to see what they will look like on the rims. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the tire size.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the Yok's are definitely wide, if they are wider yet- wow
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    the Yok's are definitely wide, if they are wider yet- wow
    The Dunlops were about 1/4" wider than the Yokos, but the Yokos were mounted.

I cannot wait to pick them up on Monday.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you run the 'Lops yet?

What did ya think?
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I am curious to see if they rub at all since I am thinking of getting the same tires next year in that size.
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

Ah! VERY well overdue update. I don't even know who is following this thread, probably about three people but anywho...

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Have you run the 'Lops yet?

What did ya think?
    Yes, I have two regional events and a ProSolo this last weekend on them. I'll have some discussion below.

Quote Originally Posted by rtstone View Post
    I am curious to see if they rub at all since I am thinking of getting the same tires next year in that size.
    The Dunlop Star Specs are VERY wide for size. I got a set of 235/40/17 on 17x8 +45 wheels and I don't rub. I have also rolled my rear fenders.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 07-31-2008 at 07:02 AM.

July Events:

7/13 Philly SCCA - Warminster

I'm not going to say much about this event as there really isn't much to say.

- Tough, technical, tight course.
    - Drove like an asshat.
    - Somehow managed to grab 2nd.
    - Still chasing the same little white civic.

7/24 Autocrossers Inc. - Fed Ex Field

This was a very fun event. It was also my second event with the Dunlops. I decided to let a fellow competitor of mine co-drive my car for this event. He is a very talented driver and was very curious to see what he thought of the car. I was also going through a burnt phase in my driving.

Well, getting another driver in my car was great, (eventhough I got beat in my own car). I had still been driving the car a bit timid as I still didn't quite trust the setup for the rear end of the car. It was a very eyeopening experence to get someone in the car that didn't know what the car would or wouldn't do.

The course was a sweeper course with quite a few tricky spots (off camber, trick cones, etc.). Overall, quite good. As mentioned I did pick up a second place. Fun event.

Video from the event:
    MySpaceTV Videos: A.I. Event #2 7-20-08 by Luster

7/26-27 Finger Lakes ProSolo - Seneca Army Depot

ProSolo's are great fun, and this one was no exception.

Friday - I showed up for a few practice starts and quickly realized that I had to launch at a bit of a higher RPM to get the wheelspin to not bog with the Dunlops. Ummm... stickier? I found out later the evening on Friday that the tree died after I left the event that evening.

Saturday - Dead start tree. Oh well, what can you do?

My runs Saturday morning where OK. The car still felt a bit loose. I noticed this at the Ai event last weekend. I had adjusted the camber before the AI event and dialed some out of the rear. I wondered if the car really liked this extra camber. I checked the rear tire temps after my morning runs and sure enough the rear tires were not using the inside edge as much as they should be.

Over the lunch break I dialed the rear camber back in and went back out for the afternoon for three more runs. The car felt great, much more planted. I managed to lay down some very fast runs. I was up by over 1.3 sec. to 2nd place. This car is absolutely flying!!

Sunday - I went out to see if I could get another fast time similar to the day before. I wasn't able to quite get close to it. I was always a few tenths off. The 2nd place driver, Eric Chiang managed to pick up a good amount of time on Sunday morning, but he wasn't able to catch my fast time.

I took my first National Win!!

SCCA Results

I also managed to be 9th qualifier out of 32 for the Challenge. Of course I went down in the first round. Oh well, still lots of fun for this event.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 08-07-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Impressions of the Dunlops

So far after these last three events I am very impressed with these tires. These could very easily be the best tires especially for the money out of the current crop of ST* tires.

I'll compare these to the Yokohama Neovas, as these tires are great for a heavier car like the WRX due to the VERY stiff sidewall and were probably the tires to have on a WRX.

Dunlops vs. Yokohamas
    - The Dunlops have every bit of the sidewall stiffness and tread width of the Neovas.
    - The Dunlops are a sticker tire. These tires really hooked up on the launches at the ProSolo, much more so than the Neovas.
    - The corner grip of the Dunlops was also very impressive, but not as much as I had expected. I feel that the Dunlops can be a bit vague when they are being pushed to the limit of their adhesion. They definitely have better grip than the Neovas, but the Neovas are a bit easier to drive right to the limit and hold that level of grip. The Neovas very much reward precision by the driver. The Dunlops with the higher grip when combined with a vague feel at the limit allow the driver to drive beyond the limit of adhesion much more often. I think this can lead to slower times as a result.

I very much love the Dunlops and think they are currently the tire to have. I'd also love to try a set of the Toyo's, which appear to have a compound similar to an R-comp. It also looks like the new Bridestone RE-11 is going to be a fast tire as well.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 07-31-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    JR- a big congrats on the win!!!!!!!! That's a great accomplishment.

Sounds like the Dunlops are earning their keep. Do they have any contingency?

I see the light cars (read Honda's) still appear to be very satisfied w/ the Bridgestones (they were not so for the most part w/ the Toyo). I was happy with mine (B'Stone), but I feel the Neova is better yet- at least for heavier cars- of course there are no small Neovas for the Honda guys to run
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Congrats as well JR. Challenges are a whole other element to the Pro's, fun for sure..........

Dunlop also make no civic sizes and I fear the Toyo's are too soft for our porkers. Hell they're getting wore out on the civic's that do run them.
    2002 78STX

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    JR- a big congrats on the win!!!!!!!! That's a great accomplishment.

Sounds like the Dunlops are earning their keep. Do they have any contingency?

I see the light cars (read Honda's) still appear to be very satisfied w/ the Bridgestones (they were not so for the most part w/ the Toyo). I was happy with mine (B'Stone), but I feel the Neova is better yet- at least for heavier cars- of course there are no small Neovas for the Honda guys to run
    Thanks Mike. I thought I had a shot going into the Finger Lakes Pro to come away with the win, (read: Greg wasn't there. ) and then Friday night we are sitting around the campfire with most of the other Philly Region crew and Corey predicted a class win for either me or Cy Lee in STX. Boy, I hope I don't let him down.

Quote Originally Posted by McCanixx View Post
    Congrats as well JR. Challenges are a whole other element to the Pro's, fun for sure..........

Dunlop also make no civic sizes and I fear the Toyo's are too soft for our porkers. Hell they're getting wore out on the civic's that do run them.
    Thanks Greg! The challenge was fun. It shows me that I need to work on the consistency of my driving. I'm usually a good enough of a driver that I can lay down a quick time, but at the moment I think that is more luck than skill. I need to fix that.

I also need to figure out how I'm going to get myself out to Topeka, plus figuring out how I'm going to bring enough to have something for you and Billy.

Tire discussion:
    From what I have read (very limited) the Toyo's do seem to have a very soft tire construction. The do absolutely have the stickiest tire compound of any of the ST* tires. Basically Toyo made an R-comp rain tire and put a 140 treadwear on it. I'd think you'd have to treat this tire like an R-comp for setup and pressures. I think this tire could be fast but you would need to be willing to do the extra setup time with them. Also the 245/35/17 sounds like an interesting size.

Interesting note, Andy Hollis was running shaved (read: bald) Toyo's on the rear only of his STS Civic.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 07-31-2008 at 07:00 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the win, JR!!!! That is awesome.

I was really impressed with the 'Lops, I just wanted to get the reaction of a better driver.

What's the next big event?
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums