The Project STX Sedan Thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Project STX Sedan Thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; No time to really work on the car... But I do have an issue with my front swaybar mounts. The ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    No time to really work on the car...
    But I do have an issue with my front swaybar mounts.

The keep getting loose! after an autox event or a track day they are completely loose... after a week of daily driving they are loose... What gives?!?!?!

Another thing, my car is too quiet with a helmet on. I can't hear the engine very well. Oh well, can't have everything at once! Rubber before exhaust...

Oh, I almost bought some swift springs 500/550lbs 7" length... but someone snagged them before I could. Complete with helper springs in the rear for about 300 bucks.

However a life update...

I graduated COLLEGE this week!!!!!
    I now have a degree in history, aka BS. I've started working full time and I am daily driving the WRX.

Next weekend is our next auto X. My plan is to loosen the rear sway one hole and see how it works. However I will probably not be paying too much attention to driving as it is my first event as the Solo Chair, so I'll be learning the ropes of how this whole machine works from the event chair prospective.

I am excited because we have a new venue! WOOHOO!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the degree!- not an easy thing to accomplish

on your front mounts two things I'd suggest- some loctite on the bolts/nuts (insure proper torque) and possibly consider sway collars- it's possible they are moving/walking enough to help loosen the mounts up
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Oh, I almost bought some swift springs 500/550lbs 7" length... but someone snagged them before I could. Complete with helper springs in the rear for about 300 bucks.
    Hyperco OBDs are cheaper and have similar specs - check out my build thread. I got mine from RE Suspension in NC. I think retail is $75 each, forget how much the helpers are, but you could buy them new for pretty much the same $ as used Swifts.

And if you want a long speech - ask Jason @ RE about the Swifts

john

Ok so since graduation I've been riding the car daily! WOOT!

I fixed the swaybar issue and then got a lag screw in the rear tire.. boooo! I'm on some old school RS wheels with some Falkin rubber now... 915s I think. (not my wheels and tires)

I went on a road trip to Florida with the new suspension and I disconnected the front sway bar and it rode AMAZINGLY WELL! It was very nice! Even bridge expansion joints were just eaten up by the suspension.

So I am now the Solo Chair for the Mid-South Region #66! Wow it's a lot of work. That road trip ended at 7am when I got to the event site. From there and the lack of sleep I somehow never did put my end link back into the mix. Ran the car and ran the event. WOW what a day!

The car felt great on initial turn in! It turned in better than with the bar BUT, (and a BIG BUT), it was twitchy and wouldn't stay where I wanted it. Under braking it was fine though. It was not fun in a high performance environment. Also those falkin tires sucked major booty!

Needless to say I got beat by a stock STi Running in STU, but I was still #6 in pax over 45 drivers! WOOHOO!
    Race hard or go home!

Front swaybar disconnected eh? I can't quite see how that would be better.

Yeah, the Solo Chair gig is something else.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Yeah, it had nice initial turn in but that was it!

Yeah, it's a huge job! HOLY CRAP!

So pics!

Notice the effects of the front of the car without the swaybar!!!! It looks like it is going to touch the ground! And Heck yeah I'm rockin' the trailer hitch!

Race hard or go home!

OOOOOOOOOOOK!

Update time.... but nothing to really update on...

The car is really taking a back seat for now... I'm just DD'ing it and taking care of the usual maintenance.

I did go to my first rally X event this past sunday! WHAT A BLAST!!!!!

After riding around with the windows open before the event... yeah... BAD idea! At least it wasn't my car that had a waterfall of sand in it!

I really want a Rally X car now... focus... TARMAC... TARMAC!

So it has gotten me thinking that the Koni's are really great at accepting a wide range of spring rates so I may go grab some 250# and 275# springs and see what happens.

Ok TARMAC!

I may have scored a set of 5x100 STi BBS for almost nothing!!!! The paint is horrible and lots of curbage. but if they check out to be reasonably true they will be my cheap Solo wheels!
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 06-15-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    gravel is fun a little tough on paint I found out, but still fun

My region is having a rallyX next wekkend, but I will in DC for the ProSolo. A rallyX looks like some damn good fun.

60 miles away from 200,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like it will be racing sunday while it turns over 200k!

Ok so I was looking though the McMaster Carr catalog today and I am going to make my own endlinks... I have an account through work where I can get a nice discount.

SOOOOOOOO I need to figure out what size hole is in the A-arm and in the sway bar... anyone know? I am too lazy to go get under the car tonight. I should have thought about it when I was putting on my Kumhos!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    gravel is fun a little tough on paint I found out, but still fun
    My paint sucks... see above mileage on all original paint...

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    My region is having a rallyX next wekkend, but I will in DC for the ProSolo. A rallyX looks like some damn good fun.
    I wish I could go!
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    as FHI uses JIS bolts and the heads of said bolts are 14mm, they should be M10's, but I'd crawl under the car before I made my order

Whew... what a weekend!

My first event with 60 drivers... WOW THAT was HARD!

And to make matters worse we had horrible communications problems at the event.

So in the end we only were able to get in 4 runs in three run groups with run times of around 63 for FTD and the slowest being 82 seconds.

So my car...

SUCKED! I apparently had a nail in the tire which then decided to come out and while I was going through the "Ms" at Memphis Motorsports Park. It felt a tad weird for a moment, then the car just got mushy so I came to a stop during my run waited for the red flag and then asked the corner worker to take a look at the tire. It was dead...

Sooo I went back to the Paddock and got my spare tire out...

Guess what?!?!

5x114.5 Bolt Pattern!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finished up my runs in an STX .:R32 intake put him in STX. VERY quick car, and I think I can actually run that car faster than my prepped WRX. I got beat in STX by the owner of the R32 by 2 seconds... I'm weird about co-driving someone's car.

Over all I am glad the event is over and that I have a patch in my tire. I have another one on the way, YAY for road hazzard! I checked the tread depth and I will be ok! These don't have much taken off at all!
    Race hard or go home!

Ground Control/Koni/RCE Camber Plate RANT

Ok first I want to say I talked with GC tech today and they were cool and helpful! I have not been able to call RCE yet because it is after hours for them.

Alright so for a while I've been trying to chase some suspension noises...

The last one that I have (which I saved for last for some unknown reason) is the spring sound that I get from the suspension when I am turning at slow speeds. I can hear the spring moving around and it doesn't sound good. It's also quite embarrassing as well.

I'm wondering what's going on? Ideas?

I've got the washers in the right place and everything is tight. Maybe too tight on the strut to camber plate mount? but I would think that one would want that as tight as possible within OE specs.

I rode in an STU M3... man that is tempting...
    Race hard or go home!

Ground Control/Koni/RCE Camber Plate RANT

Ok first I want to say I talked with GC tech today and they were cool and helpful! I have not been able to call RCE yet because it is after hours for them.

Alright so for a while I've been trying to chase some suspension noises...

The last one that I have (which I saved for last for some unknown reason) is the spring sound that I get from the suspension when I am turning at slow speeds. I can hear the spring moving around and it doesn't sound good. It's also quite embarrassing as well.

I've got the washers in the right place and everything is tight. Maybe too tight on the strut to camber plate mount? but I would think that one would want that as tight as possible within OE specs.

I rode in an STU M3... man that is tempting...
    Can you describe the noise better? "spoing"?

I'd place money that you actually hearing the noise of the pillow ball mounts on the camber plates. I had this noise when I had the RCE plates and Cusco plates and I know it wasn't the spring as I was using standard springs and perches which weren't moving.

It's probably a creak heard when turning? Try spraying some lube in the pillow ball bearings and see if it shuts up.