The Project STX Sedan Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Project STX Sedan Thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This weather FREAKING SUCKS! So this spring clunk sound up front in slow turns is driving me up the wall! ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    This weather FREAKING SUCKS!

So this spring clunk sound up front in slow turns is driving me up the wall!

I got my 225/50/16 Kumho MXs today, they actually fit in the back seat! I'm getting them mounted up tomorrow I hope!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lift time FTW! Going right now!
    Race hard or go home!

Alright lift time was rushed so I had just enough time to mount, balance, and install my IA performance KPH to MPH converter before I got kicked off.

Then now what everyone is waiting on:
    So I got the car aligned today, thank you to my good friend Donald!

Front:
    Camber -2.5 Degrees
    Cross Camber -0.1 Degrees
    Caster: 3.4 Degrees (WITHOUT the offset bushings)
    Toe: -1/16 toe (ie Toe out)

Rear:
    Camber -2.1 Degrees
    Cross Camber -0.1Degrees
    Toe: 0

So a BIG $#^%$$@%$$ to the camber plate and spring combo! the RCE plates still have a lot of adjustment left in them but the spring hits the plate at around -2.7 degrees of camber... So we backed it off to -2.5 degrees to be safe until I figure out what is going on.

I am STOKED about the rear camber! That is with Group N Top Mounts, and a STOCK wagon strut. No eccentric bolts or Adjustable lateral links. this is STOCK STUFF!

All of the alignment stuff was done with me in the car after it was roughed out so it should be spot on while driving the course. Now i just have to call RCE and get some info from them.... UGH!

A note on ride height: 35mm lower was a tad bit too much lower than I should have gone, I raised it back up a bit because I noticed that the bump stops were chilling out way up top and I had not taken any hits where I felt that it should have been riding on the bump stops. once that was fixed and the alignment done, the car rides like a dream, the dampening of the Konis feels spot on, and the car handles VERY WELL in the wet stuff. Really controllable, turn in feels good, etc.

The Kumho MX tires ROCK!!!!! I can already tell a huge improvement over the grip of the Hankook R-S2, They also feel much better in the wet stuff as well.
    Race hard or go home!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    geez- good alignment guys! nice to see folks w/ some pride in their work

the good news is you going to need another alignment anyways when you do the offset bushings

my guess is your going to need a different upper spring perch- w/ the narrower (I believe Eibachs are 2.5") springs you should be getting better than -2.5- w/ stock spring you can get even a little more than that- the limiting factor w/ stock springs is they actually hit the strut tower- they can't go any further period

curious- are you using the oe domed washer?

how far did you come up on your ride heights?
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    geez- good alignment guys! nice to see folks w/ some pride in their work

the good news is you going to need another alignment anyways when you do the offset bushings

my guess is your going to need a different upper spring perch- w/ the narrower (I believe Eibachs are 2.5") springs you should be getting better than -2.5- w/ stock spring you can get even a little more than that- the limiting factor w/ stock springs is they actually hit the strut tower- they can't go any further period

curious- are you using the oe domed washer?

how far did you come up on your ride heights?
    he's a good friend, so he took his time :-)

OEM domed washer? Where?

yes the Eibachs are 2.5" So I should find a smaller spring? but then I can't use the GC adjusters...
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    So a BIG $#^%$$@%$$ to the camber plate and spring combo! the RCE plates still have a lot of adjustment left in them but the spring hits the plate at around -2.7 degrees of camber... So we backed it off to -2.5 degrees to be safe until I figure out what is going on.
    Paul, I really hate to tell you this, but I had the same issue. All I could get out of the plates was -2.7 also. It has to do with how the lowering plate sits into the strut tower to lower. You're going to need to slot the bottom holes on your struts.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

JR, i think I can get around this with going with a spacer on the strut shaft, that is about 3/8" which would negate the use of the baller camber plates. But that would make it work. Then I can have a bit more adjustment from there, might not even have to be 3/8".

Mike, I came up two full rotations of the collars all the way around. I'll measure in the morning when it isn't raining.
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    the domed washer is the oe washer that sits atop the oe upper front spring perch- it engages the bearing in the camber plate (or oe top)

not installing it or having it upside down w/ the oe top can cause problems w/ memory steer and the like

the RCE plates are designed to use this washer (unless some other provision is made by the aftermarket coilover)

this extra room may also net you some additional room- I'd definitely check w/ RCE (and maybe GC as well)

JR- your -2.7 was w/ oe style springs- Paul has 2.5" springs and thus more room to move within the strut tower- I believe his "problem" is w/ the interface of the upper spring perch and the camber plate

the domed washer is the oe washer that sits atop the oe upper front spring perch- it engages the bearing in the camber plate (or oe top)

not installing it or having it upside down w/ the oe top can cause problems w/ memory steer and the like

the RCE plates are designed to use this washer (unless some other provision is made by the aftermarket coilover)

this extra room may also net you some additional room- I'd definitely check w/ RCE (and maybe GC as well)

JR- your -2.7 was w/ oe style springs- Paul has 2.5" springs and thus more room to move within the strut tower- I believe his "problem" is w/ the interface of the upper spring perch and the camber plate
    HUmm.... THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!
    I'm going to brave the rain and do it and hopefully that will help!
    Race hard or go home!

Yes I realize, I had the same issue with interference between the upper perch and plate. I would've thought that the 2.5" springs would help, but apparently not. There isn't much room in there for any type of spring perch.

It would be interesting to see pictures.

I Support ClubWRX
    HUmm.... THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!
    I'm going to brave the rain and do it and hopefully that will help!
    I'd call RCE before you tear apart- the domed washer is a for sure w/ the oe upper spring perch- w/ the GC upper perch it may be a different piece that needs to go in between

I am STOKED about the rear camber! That is with Group N Top Mounts, and a STOCK wagon strut. No eccentric bolts or Adjustable lateral links. this is STOCK STUFF!
    Why so stoked? Negative camber in the rear is eeevil

Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    Why so stoked? Negative camber in the rear is eeevil
    No, not evil. Some negative camber is good to prevent snap oversteer. There are many other, better ways to get the car to rotate aside from removing camber.

Don't most things that reduce grip from the rear (bigger bar, stiffer rates, toe out, etc) make snap oversteer more likely?

There are a billion ways to skin the cat, for sure, but in terms of bang for buck a $40 set of camber bolts is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    Don't most things that reduce grip from the rear (bigger bar, stiffer rates, toe out, etc) make snap oversteer more likely?
    I would say no. My experience has been that these methods are much more consistent upon loss of grip.

With removing camber, once you roll the tire over the contact patch is almost instantly gone. Good good good, done.