Stay of execution for WRC Cars

This is a discussion on Stay of execution for WRC Cars within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Following a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council, the FIA has announced its future plans for regulations in the ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Stay of execution for WRC Cars

Following a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council, the FIA has announced its future plans for regulations in the World Rally Championship.

New regulations for the next generation of WRC cars will become effective from the 2011 season and will see cars based on the current Super 2000 and Group N machines.

Cars will be fitted with a supplementary kit including a turbo and rear-wing additions, although the kit must be able to be fitted to or removed from the car within a defined time limit which has yet to be determined.

The new WRC car will be permitted to compete in the series from the 2009 season and will be able to score points in the WRC from 2010, where the current WRC machines will also be allowed to compete.

That comes after the FIA announced that the current regulations will be extended into 2010, although cars will be subject to technical controls.

In other news following the WMSC meeting, the FIA has confirmed that the restriction on parts will be eased for new manufacturers in their first year of entering the championship with immediate effect.

A new manufacturer will be able ask the FIA for a waiver to use two additional engines without penalty, and a change of parts, as described in the WRC sporting regulations.

Crash.net news
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-26-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    from the FIA website: FIA press release 32608
    WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

With immediate effect, the restriction on parts will be eased for new manufacturers in their first year of entering the Championship. A new manufacturer may ask the FIA for a waiver to use two additional engines without penalty, and a change of parts, as described in the Sporting Regulations.

The new technical regulations for the future World Rally Car will become effective from 2011. The WRC Car will be based on the current Super 2000 and Group N cars, fitted with a supplementary kit, which includes turbo and rear-wing additions. The kit must be able to be fitted or removed within a defined time limit, to be determined.

The current World Rally Car regulations will be extended to include the 2010 World Rally Championship, subject to technical controls. The new World Rally Car will be permitted to compete from 2009 and score points in the Championship from 2010.

From 1 January 2009, winning co-drivers in the FIA Junior and Production Car World Rally Championships will be awarded a world title.

--------------------------
    so from what i understand the 2011 WRC Cars will be based of Super2000 and GroupN Cars.
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-26-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

gheigh

powerful gheigh
    ~Selah

Someone needs to stop the FIA from ruining race series like F1 and WRC.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

So for the uneducated what are the main differences from the current group N cars and Full WRC spec cars?
    Sonic Wagon
    P.R.E. Tuned 249 WHP

如此親吻 我的臀部猴子男孩 !!

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Group N:
    In Rallying, the Production World Rally Championship(PWRC) is run under Group N rules. The cars used were modified road cars, often based on turbocharged, four wheel drive versions of standard small cars such as the Subaru Impreza WRX and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, although a wide range of vehicles is homologated by the FIA for use in Group N.
    The range of modifications allowed is quite narrow - few mechanical engine modifications are allowed (save for lightening within set limits and baffled sumps) although the choice of ECU is free, and this can liberate some extra power itself, and most of the modifications allowed are to promote longevity rather than increased performance, although the boundaries of these two areas are blurring.
    Originally, Group N meant that all the interior trim had to be present (including the rear seat), whereas this has now changed to allow removal of the trim aside from the dashboard and replacement of the door trim. The springs and dampers are free, as are the internals of the gearbox, providing that the homologated gear ratios and gearchange pattern are respected. This allows the use of 'dog' engagement gearboxes, providing quicker gearchanges and longer gearbox life. There is provision for strengthening of the suspension components and bodyshell, providing this doesn't alter the operating principle.
    The FIA and many national motorsport associations are moving towards making rallying championships based in Group N, in an attempt to reduce costs, reinforce the link between motorsport and the car that the member of the public drives, and to reduce the environmental impact of motorsport.
    Group N

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WRC(world rally car) Car:
    World Rally Car is a term used to describe the racing automobiles built to the specification set by the FIA and used to compete in the outright class of the World Rally Championship (WRC).
    Technical regulations mandate that World Rally Cars must be built upon a production car with a minimum of 2500 units, based on a pre-existing Group A model, to which a number of modifications may be added, including but not limited to increasing (or decreasing) engine capacity to 2.0 litres, adding a turbocharger, four wheel drive, active differential, sequential gearbox and aerodynamic parts, and the Anti-Lag System on turbocharged engines. The cars must also have a minimum weight of 1230kg.

However, unlike Group A, manufacturers are no longer required to build "Homologation Specials" in order to meet approval. The base model need not have the characteristics of the WRC, as evidenced from cars such the Peugeot 206 and 307, Citro&#235;n Xsara, or the Skoda Fabia, which have no road car with a turbocharged petrol engine or four wheel drive.
    To limit power, all forced inducted (turbo) cars are fitted with a 34 mm diameter air restrictor before the turbocharger inlet, this limits the air flow to about 10 cubic meters per minute. The restrictor therefore limits the power output to about 330-340 hp (officially 300 hp - which was correct about 10 years ago). Because of that, engine development is more focused on producing an engine with a very wide power curve rather than a high peak power output. This means that a power ouput in excess of 300 hp is available all the way from 3000 rpm to the red line of 7500 rpm with a peak of 330-340 hp at around 5500 rpm. At 2000 rpm, which is the idle speed in "stage" mode, the power output is slightly above 200 hp [1]. The cars are further modified for greater rigidity with rollcage and other chassis strengthening measures. Before each rally, the competing cars are fitted with suspension and tyres along with different differential settings to suit the conditions of the many stages, which may take place on asphalt roads, gravel and dirt roads of varying consistency, and even frozen snow-covered roads on some rallies held in relatively cold climates.
    World Rally Car
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-27-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Super 2000, also known as S2000, is an FIA specification and classification for production based race cars. The specification is split to cover both rally and touring car racing. Super 2000 rally cars are also permitted to compete in Production World Rally Championship events alongside Group N cars.[1] The goal of the Super 2000 classification is to allow more manufacturers and privateers to race by reducing the cost of a competitive car. The World Rally Championship currently has three manufacturers currently fielding teams, while private teams rely on older cars from current manufacturers or from "works" teams that have left the WRC, such as Škoda or Mitsubishi.
    In order to cut costs & shorten development time, the Super 2000 rally cars originally used a common control gearbox & drivetrain made by a French company, Sadev. The FIA has since announced that Xtrac[2] and Ricardo Consulting Engineers will be allowed to also manufacture S2000 gearboxes to FIA spefication. This is to further cut costs by introducing competition into gearbox supply.
    Super2000
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-27-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

2008 Group N Impreza Info

Model SUBARU CBA-GRB

Chassis 5 door AWD 6MT

Length 4,415mm

Width 1,795mm

Height 1,475mm

Wheelbase 2,625mm

Unladen weight 1,470kg

Engine EJ20 2.0 litre DOHC 16 valve
    AVCS turbo

Maximum output 227 k-W(308ps) / 6400 rpm

Maximum torque 422 N.m(43.0kg-m) / 4400 rpm

Fuel tank 60 litters

Steering Rack and Pinion 13 : 1

Suspension Front : Strut
    Rear : Double Wishbone

Brakes Front and Rear : Ventilated Discs

* FIA Group N Homologation Number N5714

Comparing to the previous 2007 model, a shortened overall length(-50mm) and rear overhang(-120mm), widen tracks(Front +40mm, Rear +45mm), change in weight distribution to the front and rear of the car, plus optimization of the centre of gravity and roll centre contribute to the improvement of the handling of the vehicle. An increased competitive edge is the aim for this new model.

08 Group N Impreza
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-27-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

2007 Impreza WRCar Info

Impreza World Rally Car:
    Technical Specification
    Engine
    Flat four-cylinder, 16 valve, turbocharged

Capacity: 1997cc
    Bore: 92.0mm
    Stroke: 75.0mm

Engine management
    Subaru programmable electronic engine management system

Power: 300bhp @ 5500rpm
    Torque: 700Nm @ 4000rpm
    Transmission
    Six-speed electro-hydraulic
    Electro-hydraulically controlled centre differential
    Mechanical front and rear differentials

Drive system
    Four-wheel drive

Suspension
    Front: MacPherson strut
    Rear: MacPherson strut with longitudinal and transverse link

Shock absorbers
    Bos, fully adjustable

Brakes
    AP Racing 305mm ventilated discs and four-pot calipers front and rear.
    For asphalt use, front brakes are 366mm ventilated discs with six-pot calipers

Exhaust system
    Inconnel with Subaru anti-lag system. Fitted with catalytic converters

Steering
    Power assisted rack and pinion

Dimensions
    Overall length: 4465mm
    Overall width: 1800mm
    Overall height: 1390mm
    Wheelbase: 2540mm
    Car weight: 1230kgs (WRC regulation min.)

Data systems
    Single integrated electronic system controlling engine, transmission and data-logging

In-car display
    LCD colour monitor with eight selectable data screens

Tyres
    Pirelli (championship control tyre)

Radio equipment
    Kenwood

Turbo charger
    IHI - with WRC regulation 34mm restrictor

Spark plugs
    DENSO

Wheels
    BBS: 15” diameter for gravel, 16” for snow, 18” for tarmac

Fuel tank capacity
    80 litres
    2007 Impreza WRCar
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-27-2008 at 09:01 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Someone needs to stop the FIA from ruining race series like F1 and WRC.
    F1 only got better this year.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    F1 only got better this year.
    I'm not so sure its better more of just different. The TC thing wasn't that big of a deal but the engine freeze was stupid and wait till they really start working on their newfound "green" agenda.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I'm not so sure its better more of just different. The TC thing wasn't that big of a deal but the engine freeze was stupid and wait till they really start working on their newfound "green" agenda.
    yea well the green thing could kill it, but capping the HP and taking away the nannies IMO are good changes.

the WRC cars becoming like GroupN cars will be great for consumers because they will be forced to build stuff into their production cars to get them into the rally cars.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

well wait just a second... the KERS system they are introducing into F1 should be pretty awesome in 2009, itll be like a push to pass system. this is part of F1's "green" program as well. i dont know how many of yall keep up with formula SAE, but SAE just introduced Formula Hybrid, a new class that uses hybrid or all electric power they are impressive, faster than some of the fastest Forumla SAE cars. A&M is building one this year. i think this whole green thing is being blown out of proportion, a freind of mine and i were talking and we thought F1 would be really awesome if there were some ground rules about safety and it must be petrol powered, but for the most part the rules were free-(active aero, turbos, unresctied weights, hybrid technologies, KERS,.. anything goes) the only catch is that at the start of the race you get a predertimned amount of fuel say- 20 gallons. and if you run out DQ, so the point is to develop technologies that could end up on your car someday, not to develop something that would never ever relate to your car....

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    this is WRC not F1 naah naah naaah
    "All We'll Drive"

Well, not sure if it's a good or bad thing but...It will be much easier for people to mock up their own wrc replicas and drive them around. No widebody needed, just slap on some vinyl, a goofy wing and a roof scoop and bam, you're petter solberg.
    ~Selah