Getting Started
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Getting Started within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey whats up guys, i want to get into autocross with my car does anyone have some advice for me ...

Getting Started

hey whats up guys, i want to get into autocross with my car does anyone have some advice for me on what kind of up grades i should start with. thank s

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STANLEY722800 View Post
    hey whats up guys, i want to get into autocross with my car does anyone have some advice for me on what kind of up grades i should start with. thank s
    Pick what class you want to run in and then get back to us.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    You won't need to touch the motor at all.

Typically you'll need some sticky tyres (that are still class legal, check that) and a good tune-up plus a close look at your brakes, and that's it. See how the car feels, see if you're still interested, and then add modifications from the wheels inward -- but keep in mind each class has rules that limit what you can modify, and it's rarely worth moving up to another class (since you are starting out, start with just the basics, a plain-jane car).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

depending on the class you are in, tires, suspension, and definately look into upgrading your brakes.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

I Support ClubWRX

I was wrong -- SIMPLIFY instead

Come to think of it, buy n o t h i n g.

Provided your car keeps more fluids in it that it dumps on the ground, runs correctly, and is roadworthy, take any/all junk out of it (glovebox, cabin, trunk, etc.) and just show up.

Showing up is half the battle and since you're starting, you won't care about anything else but getting in a couple runs to have fun and get a feel for the hobby. If you're interested after that, add stuff as you can but as always stay in as simple a class as possible.

Just go.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^^^Truth. Just show up the first few times. First time there you could show up in a McLaren F1 car and still loose in H-Stock.

If you have a good time, pick a class, make a budget, (or maybe vise versa) and then get back to us.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

if i do like it where do i go from there? i want to have a car that i can use every day if i wish but i think that i would like to get into the street touring class

Quote Originally Posted by STANLEY722800 View Post
    if i do like it where do i go from there? i want to have a car that i can use every day if i wish but i think that i would like to get into the street touring class
    Have you made a budget yet? You can EASILY drop 5k or more in building a nationally competitive ST* WRX, or you can do a few basic things and have a fun car to run regionally.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you do like it, you can either continue just showing up and replacing tyres as you need them or you can sit and make a realistic budget, then triple it and hope there's enough money. I'm for the "show up" option though.

yeah i have looked at some up grades and figured out if i want to do all that i want it would cost about 7k. would wider tires and wheels make a big difference or the stock size is good enough or is that something i should think about later on down the road

I Support ClubWRX
    Later.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.