Gutted up-pipe performance proof

This is a discussion on Gutted up-pipe performance proof within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I remember seeing someone post a thread about the difference between the stock gutted up-pipe, and an aftermarket straight up-pipe, ...

Gutted up-pipe performance proof

I remember seeing someone post a thread about the difference between the stock gutted up-pipe, and an aftermarket straight up-pipe, and they hit the dyno. They had other mods, but the gutted up-pipe proved to be identical to the aftermarket pipe.

Well, I went to the 1/4 mile. I have a 2005 WRX. I have done only one mod to my WRX. A gutted up-pipe. I bought a used stock gutted up-pipe from someone for $15 on ebay (best $15 I have ever spent).

I took my car to the track in November and in 40 degree weather, I ran 14.607 bone stock.

I got the uppipe in January, and installed it one day with a friend.
    I went to opening day yesterday at MIR, and in 50 degree weather, I ran 14.355. Same launching techniques.

I didn't know if anyone else had made a notice of the difference in the up-pipe like this, but for those who had questions about the difference it makes, here's your proof. It's worth it, and it's worth the bloody knuckles and cuts that you'll get from installing it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s0n1c View Post
    and it's worth the bloody knuckles and cuts that you'll get from installing it.
    nice
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    interesting. there are a lot of unmeasured differences that could have been there. track conditions, (clearly) temps were different, relative humidity (water density in the air) and so forth.

some dyno numbers using the same dyno and operator on days with the same conditions would probably result in numbers that are closer to objective.

the main deal is that you're happy with the seat of the pants dyno differences and driver confidence can place a roll in track performance, too.
    +1 you didn't shave 3/10's with JUST a gutted cat.

You're probably right, but I was taking into consideration the other differences too. The only difference that could have been factored in was seat time. I bought the car in September and the first time at the track was late October (best pass the first night was 14.8), and then again in November when I got 14.6.

It seemed real un-likely to me that I could shave that much on such a simple part, but after comparing my driving tactics now to what I was doing in November, nothing else there really has changed. It was warmer yesterday than it was back in November when i ran 14.6. It wasn't humid either day, the 14.6 was run at night time and both were at the same track (same lane)....I expected to gain about a tenth of a second from the upgrade, so I when I saw I gained 1/4 of a second I was rather surprised. Either way, I'm still happy with my $15 part.

And for the record, there's no way I'm going to put the stock pipe back on and run it again just for numbers... :P

lol, its definitely an upgrade, and a huge reliability mod.

any difference in the trap speeds?