5spd vs. auto - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 5spd vs. auto within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i've raced my friend in his 03 wrx a few times. stock for stock, he would get a good 1-2 ...

i've raced my friend in his 03 wrx a few times. stock for stock, he would get a good 1-2 cars length at the start. same with stage 1 vs stage 1. my friend wasn't shifting fast for both races so that helped me catch up to him between shifts but he would start pulling away slowly.

so yeah......the 5spd wrx's are a little faster.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SuBiEklD View Post
    i've raced my friend in his 03 wrx a few times. stock for stock, he would get a good 1-2 cars length at the start. same with stage 1 vs stage 1. my friend wasn't shifting fast for both races so that helped me catch up to him between shifts but he would start pulling away slowly.

I'm assuming you have the automatic? If so did you just punch the gas from the line or were you on the brake while on the gas some what at the begining to help launch it?

just wondering
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Quote Originally Posted by SuBiEklD View Post

+1

That's what I would expect.

While the auto benefits from less driver error, it's hampered by the additional weight of the trans, the additional driveline loss of a torque converter, and has less ratios to work with.

That being said, a properly built (www.levelten.com) auto might be able to close the gap on the 5-speed, but what it makes up for with consistant launches would still be hampered by driveline loss and the lack of available ratio's.
    Last edited by Micah; 02-27-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: corrected url for level ten transmissions
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I have both. stage 2 2002 4eat, and a 2004 prodrive stage 3 5spd.

the 5spd is faster mechanically, less drive train loss, better gearing. But time is lost between shifts.

the 4eat is a little heavier, has only 4 gears, and eats up about 20 hp.

-from a roll where you dont have to shift to much the 5spd will be faster

-on a track or twisty road with a lot of down shifting the 5spd will be faster. Yes the auto can down shift faster but only at certain speeds about 55mph is the max to down shift to 2nd and 15-20(cant remember the exact number) mph to down shift to 1st).

-from a dig with a good launch the 5spd is faster but you better shift the gears fast, other wise the 4eat will catch up fast but run out of breath by about 70

-from a slow roll the 4eat might pull but the 5spd will catch up on the high end.

- for daily driving the 4eat is quicker and easier at stop lights and cutting people off, because you don't lose time shifting and it moves off the line instantly.

the autos are EXPENSIVE to fix compared to a 5spd. plus you have to pay more in performance parts to make up that extra 20 hp you lose, but its way more consistent in the 1/4 mile. my stage 2 4eat ran 14.5xx with 2.0xx 60 ft at 3000 ft elevation constantly. that converts to like 14.1xx at sea level. maybe a bit better as elevation really hurts the 4eats launch.

5spd is way better unless you want a full drag car and have the money to build it right.
    Last edited by c00lbeans; 02-27-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Ralph,
    I noticed you conspicuously left out road course from your query about which would be faster...

What would the responses look like then?
    yes i did but i think the 5spd would own the road course... lets see some responses tho
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

The fastest, purpose built, drag cars in the world are autos. Elementary, my dear Watson.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    The fastest, purpose built, drag cars in the world are autos. Elementary, my dear Watson.
    yes tom but i was asking stock 5spd wrx vs. stock auto wrx

i have to much time on my hands
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not likely to be done often.

Yeah, but I've yet to see anyone with a 2 speed powerglide in an Impreza.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Yeah, but I've yet to see anyone with a 2 speed powerglide in an Impreza.
    Seen them with a TH400. Close enough?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

manual is more fun
    ~Selah

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    manual is more fun
    i agree unless your tired and have a broken left leg
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

No paper racing, go out and do it!

No paper racing, go out and do it!
    ok now i only have to go buy 2 more subies
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    ok now i only have to go buy 2 more subies
    No prob for a baller like you. I expect vids in a day or two, BAN for less.

No prob for a baller like you. I expect vids in a day or two, BAN for less.
    i cant swing that right now sorry
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast