WRC Mexico Feb29-Mar2 talk/results spoiler*
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRC Mexico Feb29-Mar2 talk/results spoiler* within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Based in the city of Leon in the Guanajuato region of Mexico’s central highlands, the event promises very different conditions ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool WRC Mexico Feb29-Mar2 talk/results spoiler*

Based in the city of Leon in the Guanajuato region of Mexico’s central highlands, the event promises very different conditions to any seen so far this year in either Monte Carlo or Sweden. On the event where the Impreza WRC2007 was launched last year, crews will compete for the first time on Pirelli’s new Scorpion gravel championship control tyre, available in only one compound and tread pattern. It will be the third different tyre design crews have used in the first three events of the year.

Crews are banned from cutting the tread of their tyres this year, which on gravel typically meant opening up the tread pattern to maximise the tyre’s ability to cut through the loose surface. This will mean road position is crucial as those further down the order will benefit from road cleaning, meaning a smoothing of the loose surface that will afford the standard tread better traction.

The region’s hard-packed gravel roads are some of the highest of the year. Generally fast, they are tricky as they don’t naturally flow through the mountainous terrain. The challenging combination of high and slow-speed sections make it difficult for crews to establish a rhythm along the sometimes narrow and technical tests. Those who are smoothest will improve the life and therefore grip from their tyres on the abrasive surface where tyre wear is very high.

These conditions traditionally suit Subaru very well, and Petter Solberg and Phil Mills won here in 2005 and established an early lead last year before being forced into retirement. Chris Atkinson also held second position last year before running into difficulty and finishing fifth.

The route is much the same as last year with only minor additions to sections of the Ortega and El Cubilete speed tests. Rally Mexico is the most compact route in the WRC, and this year is even more so than last with a total distance of just 830 kilometres. The 354 competitive kilometres of gravel roads traverse the mountains of the Sierra de Lobos and Sierra de Guanajuato to the east of Leon, reaching a peak altitude of just over 2700 metres where the oxygen is thin and engines struggle to develop power.

The event opens with a ceremonial start on Thursday night in front of the Alhondiga de Granaditas, an historic grain storage building which now serves as a regional museum. A change from the first two events, the weather forecast is dry and windy, with temperatures reaching 25 degrees Celsius. Each day is concluded by a 2.21km spectator stage, located 15km south-west of Leon, which will be run a total of five times over the three days to bring the action from the mountains to the local fans.

Driver quotes
    Petter Solberg: “We go to Mexico knowing that we have won here in the past, but we don’t approach it any differently to Monte or Sweden. We made some good steps forward in the test last week, so we go to Mexico with a good setup. We’ll drive our own rally, push as hard as we can and see what happens. I hope we will be strong again here as it’s good for everyone if we can be fighting at the front.”

Chris Atkinson: “It’s a difficult rally with the altitude and the conditions, but we approach it with the same strategy as we have started this year with. Last year we had a good result and good pace on the first day, so if we can maintain consistency throughout the event then I hope we can get a good finish. We have a strong engine in the car that seems to perform well at altitude which I think is one of the reasons we go well here. I like the feeling of the rally as it’s good to have such a variation in speed and conditions that keeps you entertained! Visually it’s appealing and very different, and that’s what rallying is all about.”

crash.net

swrt

rallye-info.com

wrc.com/
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 03-24-2008 at 04:55 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school

Rally Mexico!!!! WOOT!

I'm in Mexico and heading to the start of the rally tonight! So pictures and report will be posted after the events tonight!
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    First
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome have a great time,
    just post pics/talk etc in this thread thanks
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-28-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Triple world champion Sebastien Loeb suffered a bad start to the Corona Rally Mexico on Thursday, when he experienced an engine problem en-route to the shakedown test.

Loeb was making the 16 kilometre trek from the service park at Leon when the issue occurred and the engine on his Citroen C4 WRC car dropped to running on just three cylinders.

Seb subsequently returned to service and the decision was taken by the team to change the unit.

"There was a doubt, so the team preferred to replace the engine," he told Citroen's official website. "Changing engines is permitted by the regulations and we shouldn't take any penalties."

Loeb's team-mate Daniel Sordo meanwhile had no such problems in the #2 Citroen C4 WRC car.

"We profited from this morning's run [in the shakedown test] to find our marks on the loose again and to make a few adjustments to the set-up," the Spaniard added.
    "All We'll Drive"

Day 1 Part 1

Plop!

Guanajuato is PLASTERED with these, I'm taking a couple home!

No Parking Sign, just liked the picture

Rally Officials

Opening night will be held here, getting ready!!!!

I'll post LOTS of photos tonight after the opening fiesta!
    Race hard or go home!

I'm jealous.
    ~Selah

I am on a weeks vacation in California having tons of fun with the GF and I never thought I would want to be somewhere else... but I do.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Pzary3233,
    nice teaser pics , cant wait to see photos once the rally starts have a great time lookin forward to your photos
    "All We'll Drive"

BAD photo spot, a lot of taking pics without using the view finder... darn SLR!

I'm spent! I've got another 100 pics to upload... I'll send a link to the photobucket account tomorrow
    Race hard or go home!

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    nice shots really captures the "atmosphere"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Shakedown times

1. Petter Solberg Subaru WRT Impreza WRC 2007 2mins 49.9secs M
    2. Chris Atkinson Subaru WRT Impreza WRC 2007 2mins 51.8secs M
    3. Gigi Galli Stobart Ford Focus WRC 07 2mins 52.0secs M
    4. Jari-Matti Latvala BP Ford Focus RS WRC 07 2mins 53.9secs M
    = Daniel Sordo Citroen Total WRT C4 WRC 2mins 53.9secs M
    6. Henning Solberg Munchi's Ford Focus WRC 07 2mins 54.5secs M
    7. Federico Vilagra Munchi's Ford Focus WRC 07 2mins 55.2secs M
    8. Mikko Hirvonen BP Ford Focus RS WRC 07 2mins 55.7secs M
    9. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT C4 WRC 2mins 56.0secs M
    10. Matthew Wilson Stobart Ford Focus WRC 07 2mins 57.6secs M
    11. P-G Andersson Suzuki WRT SX4 WRC 2mins 58.2secs M
    12. Toni Gardemeister Suzuki WRT SX4 WRC 2mins 59.7secs M
    13. Conrad Rautenbach Citroen C4 WRC 3mins 04.3secs

Subaru's Petter Solberg was quickest in the shakedown for Corona Rally Mexico on Thursday morning, the third round in the 2008 FIA World Rally Championship.

Petter completed the 5.13 kilometre test, located 16 kilometres north of the service park in Leon, in 2 minutes 49.9 seconds, posting his best time on his fifth and final pass.

Chris Atkinson meanwhile was 'best of the rest' in the sister Impreza WRC car, 1.9 seconds slower. Chris opted for four passes of the test.

Shakedown News
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-29-2008 at 07:03 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Citroen's Sebastien Loeb has switched back to his original engine for the Corona Rally Mexico, the third round in the 2008 FIA World Rally Championship.

Loeb was en-route to the shakedown test when he experienced a problem with his C4 WRC. The Frenchman immediately returned to the service area where the team initially opted to change his power-plant - as they believed he wouldn't get a five-minute penalty, as it was a new unit for this event following his off in Sweden.

However after the stewards ruled that he would in fact be penalised, as they judged this to be the third 'linked' event for the engine - all engines for manufacturer teams must do three rounds - the French team took the decision to revert to the original.

"The regulations seemed clear for us and we also understood the FIA allowed that change," Citroen Sport boss Olivier Quesnel told the team's official website.

"After the Stewards meeting, a five minutes penalty was finally applied. We have explained this had not brought us any advantage and have suggested refitting the original engine in the C4. The Stewards accepted our explanations allowing us to proceed to this. The penalty no longer applies."

Crash.net
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-29-2008 at 07:01 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

AWESOME PICS! keep them coming... i think i love juan more than she does right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

Info and pics! Oh my! This is great! Thanks guys!
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast