Canadian Grand Prix

This is a discussion on Canadian Grand Prix within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm going this year and wanted some tips about the experience. If you have ever been to a race I ...

Canadian Grand Prix

I'm going this year and wanted some tips about the experience. If you have ever been to a race I would appreciate some advice. If anyone has going to the Canadian Grand Prix specifically, do you know of a good hotel to stay at, close to the track?
    2008 Metallic Gray WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I went to the USGP, last year, and had a great time.
    Standard race-day kinds of preparation; bring lots of sun screen in case it's really sunny, and if the track allows it, bring in any food that you care to. Food/Drinks at Indy were just stupidly expensive.

Bring earplugs of some kind. It was fun listening to the 2.4l V8's scream by at full volume for a while, but if you're up close, it's pretty damned earsplitting.

Obviously bring a camera.
    I'm not familiar with the track in Canada; check out the locations of any "big screens" that are on site, and try to get seats that are nearby. It's nice to get updates on what's happening on parts of the track that are out of view.

Have a great time.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I went to the USGP, last year, and had a great time.
    Standard race-day kinds of preparation; bring lots of sun screen in case it's really sunny, and if the track allows it, bring in any food that you care to. Food/Drinks at Indy were just stupidly expensive.

Bring earplugs of some kind. It was fun listening to the 2.4l V8's scream by at full volume for a while, but if you're up close, it's pretty damned earsplitting.

Obviously bring a camera.
    I'm not familiar with the track in Canada; check out the locations of any "big screens" that are on site, and try to get seats that are nearby. It's nice to get updates on what's happening on parts of the track that are out of view.

Have a great time.

Thanks Ray. Were there grandstands all over the place in Indy or clustered in one spot? How does the seating work?

There not having it at Indy this year. I was surprised they pulled the US contract considering that it's usually a big draw.
    Last edited by TRM1305; 02-20-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    2008 Metallic Gray WRX

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Food/Drinks at Indy were just stupidly expensive.
    +1 it was insane

Quote Originally Posted by TRM1305 View Post
    Thanks Ray. Were there grandstands all over in Indy? How does the seating work?

There not having it at Indy this year. I was surprised they pulled the US contract considering that it's usually a big draw.
    I'd imagine seating depends largely on the track/grandstand set up.

They dropped indy because its more of a pain for them to negotiate, its small compared to F1 races overseas, and theres plenty of countries willing to pay much more to get F1.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm trying to remember the Canadian track from coverage, seems to me like they have more than one grandstand around the track.

At the USGP, we got up and walked around during qualifying and the race, to get it from different perspectives. Our seats were at turn 1 on that track, and we actually got to see a number of overtakes.

I was awed by the sounds that those cars make; you don't get the full effect on TV. They make pops and burbles that somehow don't get picked up by the mikes. Make sure to post up pictures when you get back.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon