STX legal idea??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STX legal idea?? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i've been throwing around some ideas for an STX legal pipe and here's what I've come up with, tell ...

STX legal idea??

So i've been throwing around some ideas for an STX legal pipe and here's what I've come up with, tell me why it won't work please.

Option 1. Buy a 3" Catless Down-pipe, and 2 hi-flow cats from JEGS or the like, take it to metal shop at work, have them weld it in.

Option 2. Buy the Helix Down-pipe(or something similar), which appears to have CEL issues, and then buy a single hi-flow cat from JEGS or the like, take it to metal shop at work, have them weld it in.

I mean, currently the only proven option is $900. I could pick up a Helix catted for $329, a cat for $90-170, and pay $50 or two cases of beer to have it welded in for me. Looks like i stand to save massive cash.

Cats I was looking at:
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...53324_-1_10251

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...63223_-1_10251

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...50982_-1_10251

It just seems to me that if our cars sound like they are inconsistant in passing, in my world, that means that you have a tolerance stackup or are very close to the edge of functionality, so adding a cat like I listed should get me to be in the clear.

Plus, based on the DP that bigsky posted, and the pony-keg size cat he's got, i'm pretty sure i don't have to worry about how big of a cat i need to install.

Edit: The other part to this, if needed, is i'm thinking of using a hole saw, cutting out the 02 bung, then making the same hole somewhere else, and moving the bung to the opening i just created.

-Chip
    Last edited by NDGeist; 02-01-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Brain doesn't work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no one?

I Support ClubWRX
    I am by no means well versed in the Solo rules - the only requirement is one cat. STX here with a Cobb TBE.

The Cobb cat is pretty small:

Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-01-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by NDGeist View Post
    Option 1. Buy a 3" Catless Up-pipe, and 2 hi-flow cats from JEGS or the like, take it to metal shop at work, have them weld it in.
    This won't work as the stock uppipe is like 2.25". Stay with a catless uppipe, you don't need a cat in there.

For the rest, yeah that's fine. You'll just need to cross your fingers you don't throw a CEL with whatever you do.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Crap... I meant Catless Downpipe... My bad.

My thought is to gut my UP, but put an aftermarket cat or two into a catless DP...

Damn typo.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think the idea will work- I'd get one of the cats near the oe #2 position (#1 being the uppipe) and the other near the oe #3 spot BUT instead of having the O2 sensor before the last cat like oe, I'd have it after

again it's no guarantee, but I can't help but think that two properly operating cats would do the trick

<--- still banking on one- albeit a big one
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.