Changing gear?

This is a discussion on Changing gear? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, guys, I just had my 02 WRX for over a month now and I just love it! I used ...

Changing gear?

Hi, guys, I just had my 02 WRX for over a month now and I just love it!

I used to auto-x with my old 94 celica gt, and the engine+gearing was just great, lots of low end and a 2nd gear that maxed around 70-80 kmh.

However, I'd love to play around the track with my wrx but I'm scared of breaking my tranny (which sounds healthy as of now). Now with my celica I could do an entire run on a small auto-x course just being in 2nd gear. -But I know the WRX's 2nd gear is way taller, and I can barely shift into 1st unless I'm going aroun 10 km/h (once warm).

So I guess my question is, do some of you run auto-x only being in 2nd gear? I just can't see me downshift HARD my 1st gear, as this is my everyday car.

My car is bone stock, summer plan are just a STI uppipe (which I guess would give me a little more power earlier)..

Any thought or recommendation?

EDIT: Just to add I only did 2-3 auto-x event and I'm still learning, sometime I need to excessively brake than start back into 1st, maybe I just need practice?
    Last edited by Rayme; 01-29-2008 at 02:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Know that an STi Uppipe will put you in STX instead of DS. Just a thought.

You *can* get the car to go into first. It certainly doesnt feel good to do so however. I pretty much put it in 2nd and then deal with bog from time to time. I know it contradicts what others may say, but there are times when it makes sense to actually clutch, get some revs in the corner, and then let the clutch out as you leave the corner. I'm not sure what one might call this, but it allows you to get some revs (and boost) and get a little surge out of the corner.

Another trick, would be to get some smaller diameter tires. I ran 215/45 Hankooks half the year, they are something like 7% smaller than stock, and I didn't have too many places where 1st was important. Going to a 225/45 azenis, i'm finding that 1st is more appealing now.

you can also try rev matching it into first.... i ran an autocross a month or so ago that literally mandated 1st gear we are talking like 55+ straight into 15mph corner. and i was heel-toeing into first. i got FTD on my first run after i started going into first. it really all depends on the course.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

I Never go into first, leave it right in second, depending on what class you want to run there are some thing that can help your lag. I run in ESP I have an 07 WRX TR, with DP, Stage 2 flash and intake along with springs and the car doesn't lag nearly as bad as stock. Also with a inlet pipe it should help with lag.
    07 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #220

Quote Originally Posted by Madoc05 View Post
    I Never go into first, leave it right in second, depending on what class you want to run there are some thing that can help your lag. I run in ESP I have an 07 WRX TR, with DP, Stage 2 flash and intake along with springs and the car doesn't lag nearly as bad as stock. Also with a inlet pipe it should help with lag.
    you also have a 2.5... theres a fairly big differnce in spool when you have a motor 25% bigger than ours... just a heads up.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by wrxwalsh View Post
    you also have a 2.5... theres a fairly big differnce in spool when you have a motor 25% bigger than ours... just a heads up.

Matt
    Yeah I know 2.5 FTW
    07 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #220

Quote Originally Posted by Madoc05 View Post
    Yeah I know 2.5 FTW
    STX FTW!..

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if you properly rev match there is little to no concern w/ the tranny downshifting

in a perfect world all autox courses would be fast, smooth transitioning and over 60 seconds life isn't perfect and sometimes your forced to run shorter tighter courses, this often dictates occasionally using 1st gear

the other "trick" w/ a turbo car is left foot braking, this keeps helps keep the turbo spooled and gets you back into the power quicker

also worth looking at the tranny fluid thread started in the maintenance section- a good fluid will help shifting, a bad fluid the opposite
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman