anybody ever run leaded gas?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on anybody ever run leaded gas? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i heard that i could have a high octane map made to switch to at the track. then i would ...

anybody ever run leaded gas?

i heard that i could have a high octane map made to switch to at the track. then i would run more boost and 116 octane. any body do this before? i want to try it. i have run 101 octane in my car at at stage 2 with no special map and deffinately feel the power increase. but i know that the lead will mess up my o2 censors kinda fast. just want to know what people say. thanks. jinx
    <----------Bugeye Mafia #143
    <----------have pulled .97 lateral g's in a wagon
    <----------provides clean urine for the russian olympic team
    <----------tuned by Sean McCormick (R.I.P. 2/2008)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thejinxin206 View Post
    i heard that i could have a high octane map made to switch to at the track. then i would run more boost and 116 octane. any body do this before? i want to try it. i have run 101 octane in my car at at stage 2 with no special map and deffinately feel the power increase. but i know that the lead will mess up my o2 censors kinda fast. just want to know what people say. thanks. jinx
    Don't quote me, but if you have any cats in your exhaust, I think leaded fuel will screw them up...
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Don't quote me, but if you have any cats in your exhaust, I think leaded fuel will screw them up...
    Yep.

In order to take advantage of the extra octane, a custom map would be needed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

We all have used the av gas 100LL the entire drag championship. As you may know its a low lead fuel used (for years) instead of actual race fuel. Well, my O2 sensor is still fine and nobody on his wrx/Sti or EVO has reported damages or malfunction because of this.

cheers!

I Support ClubWRX
    Its the O2 sensors and CAT's that don't like you when you run leaded fuel, But I'm sure if you ran a CAT-less exhaust and were tuned for the race gas your o2 sensors would last for a while. Just don't be too surprised when you have to change them in 20k miles (at $200 each).

Noteworthy, you can get High octane unleaded fuel you know.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

they still make that S--T!?

I Support ClubWRX
    Unleaded race fuel:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consum...UnleadedFuels/

Sunoco 260 fuel (100 octane) locater:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consum...T100Locations/

As far as I know, there isn't anything higher than 100 unleaded sold these days.

As for the use of 100LL (Aviation fuel), it is hard to pin down the good-vs bad using a low leaded, high octane fuel in an automobile. Some have reported success, others have reported issues with the heat generated burning or melting valves. I've only ever heard the negatives from "friend of a friend" type sources, so take this however you want it.

Obviously ForesterS/tb has first hand experience using this, and from the sounds of it, has not damaged his O2 sensor as of yet. For the price, it's a pretty good deal, so I can see the monetary benefit in using it over 100 octane unleaded fuel.

My personal thoughts are that if you are running at the drags strip or on a road course, and have the ability to alter your map (timing and injection) to make full use of higher octane fuels, this is an excellent and cheap way to make good power. Since my performance cars have usually been daily drivers, I tended to do this sparingly as the performance difference is pretty significant, and is obviously more harsh on the engine. But then, I tend to lean towards a more conservative tune anyways, so take this into account.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like VP Racing makes Unleaded 105 & 109 rating:

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#unleaded
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    As for the use of 100LL (Aviation fuel), it is hard to pin down the good-vs bad using a low leaded, high octane fuel in an automobile. Some have reported success, others have reported issues with the heat generated burning or melting valves. I've only ever heard the negatives from "friend of a friend" type sources, so take this however you want it.

Obviously ForesterS/tb has first hand experience using this, and from the sounds of it, has not damaged his O2 sensor as of yet. For the price, it's a pretty good deal, so I can see the monetary benefit in using it over 100 octane unleaded fuel.

My personal thoughts are that if you are running at the drags strip or on a road course, and have the ability to alter your map (timing and injection) to make full use of higher octane fuels, this is an excellent and cheap way to make good power. Since my performance cars have usually been daily drivers, I tended to do this sparingly as the performance difference is pretty significant, and is obviously more harsh on the engine. But then, I tend to lean towards a more conservative tune anyways, so take this into account.
    x2
    I agree. For us, the use of "av-gas" is limited to drag races only. However there are some guys that use av-gas in a 50-50 mix condition with 98RON for daily driving. Normaly this guys has JDM cars and want to release the full potential of their cars (Im not too convinced about that but....).
    Nobody (including me) has reported a 02 sensor malfunction linked to av-gas, moreover, a friend of mine that uses his JDM EVO VIII with av-gas in a 50-50 rate for daily driving has not reported any problem at the moment.

If you guys have actual race fuel (unleaded, oxigen charged, actual RON>100) available, use it, definitly is a "better" option than av-gas.

cheers!

i know that about 20 min from my house i can get unleaded 101 octane any day of the week from like 9 am till 11pm. it is however $6.25/ gallon. that i run every now and then. and sometimes when i goto the track, just to see if it helps, but it never makes enough difference to be sure it isn't my driving. i am not that consistent. and i never run it straight. always run it with 92 supreme. usually when the tank is pretty low as to save me money, but i know that sounds silly running that at $6.25/ gallon. i think i'm just gonna try it. the only problem is that they won't let you pump it into your car. you have to pump into an approved container. i think that is b/s, but it isn't legal to run leaded on the streets here in seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by ForesterS/tb View Post
    x2

If you guys have actual race fuel (unleaded, oxigen charged, actual RON>100) available, use it, definitly is a "better" option than av-gas.

cheers!
    i don't know if it is that RON100 that you talk about, but i will ask. is all gas oxegenated?

i don't know if it is that RON100 that you talk about, but i will ask. is all gas oxegenated?
    the Sunoco 260Gt is marketed as a 3.3% oxigen charged fuel + 105RON + unleaded gas...is that correct?

what about octane booster? that little yellow bottle
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy987 View Post
    what about octane booster? that little yellow bottle
    just say no.
    Race gas is by far a cheaper and better investment.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    i know that about 20 min from my house i can get unleaded 101 octane any day of the week from like 9 am till 11pm. it is however $6.25/ gallon. that i run every now and then. and sometimes when i goto the track, just to see if it helps, but it never makes enough difference to be sure it isn't my driving. i am not that consistent. and i never run it straight. always run it with 92 supreme. usually when the tank is pretty low as to save me money, but i know that sounds silly running that at $6.25/ gallon. i think i'm just gonna try it. the only problem is that they won't let you pump it into your car. you have to pump into an approved container. i think that is b/s, but it isn't legal to run leaded on the streets here in seattle.
    If you don't have EMS to ajust timing and fuel to make full use of higher octance fuel, it really isn't going to give you much of a performance advantage. However, when you do use it, you should reset your ECU and run it for about 15 minutes prior to racing as the stock ECU will adjust your timing to some extent to allow more use of the higher octance fuel.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.