EU calls on F1 to switch to four-cylinders, bio-fuels and hybrids

This is a discussion on EU calls on F1 to switch to four-cylinders, bio-fuels and hybrids within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The European Parliament has called for Formula One to adopt more environmentally-friendly engine alternatives, and the FIA seems to be ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post EU calls on F1 to switch to four-cylinders, bio-fuels and hybrids

The European Parliament has called for Formula One to adopt more environmentally-friendly engine alternatives, and the FIA seems to be all for it.

The CARS 21 report, passed with 607 EU legislators in favor, 76 against and 14 abstentions, praised the FIA's actions to make F1 greener, but called on the sanctioning body to do more. The report concluded by calling on the FIA to revise its formula to include "environmentally friendly technologies like bio-fuels, four-cylinder engines or hybrid". FIA president Max Mosley, who has been vocal in his desire to make F1 greener, subsequently issued a statement supporting the EU report.

Several racing series - including A1GP, ALMS, Champ Cars and IndyCars - are now running on bio-fuels, and Formula One has been toying with electric hybrid regenerative braking technologies.

more:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/16/e...ls-and-hybrid/
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    I hate the EU
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is IMO great news and I hope F1 heads take seriously the EU's position.

One question is how Ari Vatanen feels about this, as he's both a former World Rallye Champion and a Euro MP.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bio fuels made from food is just a bad idea, I still believe the future is in hydrogen, which can be used from seawater which just happens to be 2/3 of the earth's surface, so definitely plentiful. Here is the US specifically Iowa, where bio-fuels are subsidized, corn prices are very high which in turn is making meat prices go up. Also the fact is that there is not enough bio fuels grown to replace oil based gas, even if we don't need to eat. Never a good idea to have transportation and food compete though...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

v8 twin turbo on E85 FTW!!

but in reality....
    #478 E Street Prepared
    CIR/CCSCC/GASS series
    by Nukabe-CUSCO and TurboXS

BugEye Mafia, Made 12-18-07 (#159)

I Support ClubWRX
    To put this in perspective, some of the most exciting Grands Prix were contested (and in many cases won) by 4-cyl 1.5L cars, and in many ways F1 has not been "the same" with the loss of 4-cyls.

It is unlikely the output of yesteryear's 4-cyls will be matched (immediately...) but that'd be part of the challenge. IMO the prospect of 4-cyls spinning at astronomical RPM is very exciting, especially given the technical difficulties involved (keep in mind how a 4-cyl is balanced vs. a V8, and what materials are available now etc.).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    To put this in perspective, some of the most exciting Grands Prix were contested (and in many cases won) by 4-cyl 1.5L cars, and in many ways F1 has not been "the same" with the loss of 4-cyls.

It is unlikely the output of yesteryear's 4-cyls will be matched (immediately...) but that'd be part of the challenge. IMO the prospect of 4-cyls spinning at astronomical RPM is very exciting, especially given the technical difficulties involved (keep in mind how a 4-cyl is balanced vs. a V8, and what materials are available now etc.).
    i dont imagine the hybrid f1 cars will be quite as exiting and the old turbo4s
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

gheigh

They should go back to the V10s and bring back turbos. These are supposed to be the fastest cars on the planet.

And while they're at it they should require leaded fuel and panda fur seats.

Eliminating TC is the only smart thing they've done in a long time, even if it does hinder performance a bit.
    ~Selah