question about WRC cars

This is a discussion on question about WRC cars within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When you watch any of the World Rally stuff, when a car enters a turn you often times hear a ...

question about WRC cars

When you watch any of the World Rally stuff, when a car enters a turn you often times hear a "chirping" sound. What is this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Acutually its caused by "manic squirrels" which help keep the turbo spooled when going thru the corners they are having a lil breather before they start scampering again on there lil spool wheel.

j/k
    serious its:

You mean this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX6qJb8Pw_Y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate

Wastegate chatter myth
    There is a common myth in the automotive world about so called "wastegate chatter" or "turbo flutter", a noise created on lifting off the throttle in a turbocharged car. The sound is commonly described as a chipmunk or a rattlesnake and is often stated incorrectly as being a result of the turbo's wastegate closing.

The noise is in fact the air compressed by the turbo passing back through the compressor wheel of the turbo after the airflow is abruptly halted by the throttle plate closing. However, in some cases, i.e. where it doesn't open fast enough or is set up to only react to high boost, some chatter will remain. Surge can occur on diesels when the turbo is attempting to pressurize the air at a higher pressure ratio than the compressor wheel can flow at a given speed. Diesels have no use for a Blow off Valve as they do not have a throttle.
    The chatter noise is very noticeable on WRC Rally cars, where no BOV is allowed.
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 12-19-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Manic squirrels...got ya. Good to know.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJester493 View Post
    Manic squirrels...got ya. Good to know.
    your welcome
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

you are a chucklehead

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    ok chucklenuts
    "All We'll Drive"