Drifting and Powersliding - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Drifting and Powersliding within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by sti 701 tokyo drift is my middle name. im the drift king. its true. google that ****. ...

Quote Originally Posted by sti 701 View Post
    tokyo drift is my middle name. im the drift king. its true. google that ****.

dk lol donkey kong
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Yes, and you imagine correct.

I have DCCD in my 2002 WRX, it cost me $3200 for the trans and associated/required components, then I had to buy a DCCD controller from www.dccdpro.com (I have the Auto unit with OEM knob) which I think was like $275 or $375, and then all the labor on top of it.
    does that mean that you can only change the diff to the stock 35/65 and 50/50. if i were to spend all that money, i would at least want some diffrent rations also. then it would be worth it.

If you guys really wana learn how to drift, dont waste the 4 bucks watching tokyo rice, spend like 1.5k on racing school. SOOOO much more fun.

I did Skip Barber racing school, it was a blast. They had me running 911 Porsche's, m3's, RX-8's. it was well worth it.

Again, 99.99999% of the folks who buy AWD cars don't plan on drifting.

w00t for the F&F reference's.

Somebody please lock this up.

Quote Originally Posted by ahendrickson View Post
    does that mean that you can only change the diff to the stock 35/65 and 50/50. if i were to spend all that money, i would at least want some diffrent rations also. then it would be worth it.

he only had to pay between 275 and 375 bucks to get the dccd. thats worth it for sure.
    plus, he had no choice if he wanted to get the 6spd tranny in his WRX
    2005 WRX Wagon stg 1 - 3/12 to present
    1996 BMW 328is coupe - 5/11 to present

02 WRX wagon stg 2 - history

WTB: Cobb Accessport ap-sub-001 for 2005 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcruiser View Post
    he only had to pay between 275 and 375 bucks to get the dccd. thats worth it for sure.
    that was for the labor.

tokyo rice?? so sti's are rice??

Quote Originally Posted by ahendrickson View Post

If you guys really wana learn how to drift, dont waste the 4 bucks watching tokyo rice, spend like 1.5k on racing school. SOOOO much more fun.

I did Skip Barber racing school, it was a blast. They had me running 911 Porsche's, m3's, RX-8's. it was well worth it.

The center diff is inside the 6-speed transmission, and as far as I know the diff is either open or locked. If it's open then it's 35%front/65%rear, and if it's locked then it's 50%front/50%rear. The DCCD will vary the amount of locking to move power as needed.

+1 to Skip Barber, I've read quite a bit of the stuff on their site - haven't found myself able to justify the costs yet though. Two days for $3k is a bit steep - there's just other things I would rather do with the money. Still, they've been around for a long time, and I've never heard anything bad from people who went.

Which course did you take?
    Last edited by Micah; 12-19-2007 at 05:04 PM. Reason: being nice
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by sti 701 View Post
    that was for the labor.
    No - that was for the DCCD unit. The labor was $90 an hour and ran about 10 hours.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcruiser View Post
    I didn't need to hook up the DCCD control. I drove the car for several weeks without it - it just runs open at all times which is perfectly fine. I choose to do the DCCD upgrade because I'm a toy freak and wanted to play with it. Plus in NJ we get a random snowstorm or two where I would like to be able to lock the center diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    The center diff is inside the 6-speed transmission, and as far as I know the diff is either open or locked. If it's open then it's 35%front/65%rear, and if it's locked then it's 50%front/50%rear. The DCCD will vary the amount of locking to move power as needed.

+1 to Skip Barber, I've read quite a bit of the stuff on their site - haven't found myself able to justify the costs yet though. Two days for $3k is a bit steep - there's just other things I would rather do with the money. Still, they've been around for a long time, and I've never heard anything bad from people who went.

Which course did you take?
    i took the one day racing school. it was like 1200 bucks. even in just 1 day, i learned alot. they first took u on a skid pad, then they took you yo a breaking corse. adter that they took u to an auto-x corse and then lunch down at the track. it happned to be that the porsche club of america rented the track that day so there were alot of nice porsches. after that they took u back onto the auto-x and then on the skid pad again. then they took u to the mini track and then onto their full size street track. i did it in lime rock, ct. really great track and definatly worth it. they let u drive m3s, 911 porsches, rx-8, and i think one porsche turbo.

go to a dirt track.

i don't know about other years, but my '07 sti's dccd allows anything from a locked diff to 35/65 on a sliding scale. you can bias the car at several different increments between the two extremes. i've found that the ability to lock the diff can be very advantageous in deeper snow. usually, i just use the automatic setting which determines the best possible distribution of engine power.

As a side note, the amount of power my car can put out can easily overwhelm the differential, which then allows a significant amount of it to go to my spinning rear tires (since they quickly become the path or least resistance when cornering sharply). This can create a very effective 'drift', although i haven't exploited this at very high speeds for the simple fact that i don't want to crash my car. My uncle is a mechanic, and he explained to me the type of differential that subaru uses allows this by means of its mechanism. i'm not sure if this applies to non-sti or not. can anybody shed some further light on this?

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Sweet bump from the dead.

After we get done doing the HPDE events at the Circuit we always go out and slide around. Drifting in a WRX is not that hard, or dangerous. Just don't do it on the street. Granted, the tires I slid on where a set of Hankooks that had a traction rating of about "We're as sticky as a greased pig". Sliding in a controlled environment, good, sliding on the street, fail.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234