Launching...?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Launching...?!? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i have a 2008 WRX sedan, and i was out practicing launching today. i was doing it from about ...

Launching...?!?

So i have a 2008 WRX sedan, and i was out practicing launching today. i was doing it from about 4k rpm, and my tires would chirp and the rpms would drop to a lil over 3k when i launched.

Does this mean i am boging? And i also was wondering if 4k rpm is a good point to launch from?
    2econd2none Performance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sik_WRX View Post
    So i have a 2008 WRX sedan, and i was out practicing launching today. i was doing it from about 4k rpm, and my tires would chirp and the rpms would drop to a lil over 3k when i launched.

Does this mean i am boging? And i also was wondering if 4k rpm is a good point to launch from?
    keep doing this and you'll need a new drivetrain.
    On a FWD the tires would bust loose in this situation, AWD has alot of traction so all that power is slamming into your drivetrain and your drivetrain doesnt like it. Take it up a little and gently slip the clutch in.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I got my drink and my 2 step

with a turbo car you want to launch in the following way:

you rev the engine and watch your boost gague.
    when you see the boost go into positive pressure is when you want to launch. This way you are launching at boost instead of getting to boost. which is what i think you are seeing as boging.

to make this easier you can get whats called a 2 step or launch control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_...8automotive%29

I have launch control and i have it set to 5800rpm. i don't have to worry about blowing my tranny or ruining my expensive clutch.
    Last edited by mattbilick; 11-12-2007 at 02:45 PM.

well i dont know how strong the new trannys are . but for 02-03 are crap.. the newer ones are a bit better.. but still weak.. even tho i still launch my 04 tranny at 5200.. before i used to do it at 4500. i dont dump the clutch at all.. i slip it really nice.. which is the reason why im on my second clutch.. but no shockload.. and i get my tires to spin but no bogging at all, dumping at any rpm is really bad for any tranny.. so dont do it..

Quote Originally Posted by disaster646 View Post
    well i dont know how strong the new trannys are . but for 02-03 are crap.. the newer ones are a bit better.. but still weak.. even tho i still launch my 04 tranny at 5200.. before i used to do it at 4500. i dont dump the clutch at all.. i slip it really nice.. which is the reason why im on my second clutch.. but no shockload.. and i get my tires to spin but no bogging at all, dumping at any rpm is really bad for any tranny.. so dont do it..
    yeah man if you value your tranny don't dump with a AWD subaru

Banned
    I usually do a slip. I will never launch over 3.5k but that's just me. I might get it up to 4k to wake up the turbo, but i'll never just dump the clutch. Think of the amount of strain on the drivetrain doot.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    keep doing this and you'll need a new drivetrain.
    On a FWD the tires would bust loose in this situation, AWD has alot of traction so all that power is slamming into your drivetrain and your drivetrain doesnt like it. Take it up a little and gently slip the clutch in.
    good point. and powershifting is bad too. i blew second gear once..

i know not to dump, and i dont dump the clutch! i watched a friend of mine fcuk up his diff. from dumping it.
    2econd2none Performance

Quote Originally Posted by disaster646 View Post
    so dont do it..
    or this will happen. Launching Mishaps
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

i blew my 02 tranny the second day i got the car..2nd gear, the good thing was that i only paid 7k for my suby. so i had some cash to play with.. i decided to get a 04.. but i do baby this one a lot.. and i dont let fwd owners drive my car.. i just destroy them off the digs by cars and cars..lol.. but i've never dumped my clutch. i even slip it on 2nd a bit, a clutch is way cheaper than a new tranny only paid 160 for my act organic clutch.. instead of 1000 again for a used tranny

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I usually do a slip. I will never launch over 3.5k but that's just me. I might get it up to 4k to wake up the turbo, but i'll never just dump the clutch. Think of the amount of strain on the drivetrain doot.
    +1

That's the same thing I do if I'm going to launch. Most of the time though, I don't bother launching. My turbo is in boost way under 3k, so slipping from 3k and rising works fine for me. One blown transmission is enough. I know the 6-speed is a much beefier unit, but I just can't bring myself to do anything that would resemble dumping the clutch.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    +1

That's the same thing I do if I'm going to launch. Most of the time though, I don't bother launching. My turbo is in boost way under 3k, so slipping from 3k and rising works fine for me. One blown transmission is enough. I know the 6-speed is a much beefier unit, but I just can't bring myself to do anything that would resemble dumping the clutch.
    Did you beef anything else up when you did the swap? It's too bad you haven't experienced all of the glory of an AWD launch that the 6 speed is capable of. I had multiple launches on my STi, and never had an issue. As long as the tire pressure is kept high enough to allow tire spin, everything works fine (in an STi).

To the OP,
    It hasn't been investigated in depth yet, but the 08 WRX appears to have the legacy trans, which has shown itself to be more robust than the pre-08 WRX trans, so you shouldn't have to many issues. It sounds like you got a better clutch than what is provided with a Legacy though, is it was difficult to even chirp the tires in my LGT without the clutch slipping. I wouldn't sweat it too much just yet. Have your read the stickies on launching?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

yeah. i am pretty sure i am doing everything right, but the only question is, why do i drop to 3k rpm ?
    2econd2none Performance

Banned

I guess I have a different outlook on launching. My STi was babied, but my '02 WRX was definitely (ab)used to it's full potential. It saw dozens of launches at the strip and many more on the street (not in town, I live in BFE, etc. etc.). I always launched at 5500 or higher...never lower. I never had one peep of a transmission issue. I launched so high to ensure wheelspin. My take is that I was letting the tires take the abuse instead of the tranny. I didn't slide my foot off of the clutch, but I did do a very quick release. I just did what worked well for me and my own logic/reasoning. To each his own.

If you think you are getting a proper launch at sub 3k rpm because you are "in boost", a true launch would definitely be an eye opener.

OP...the reason your rpms fall...when you first launch you are getting some tire slippage (the chirp), and some clutch slippage (even if you dump it). During this slippage, the engine will rev a little higher. When everything grabs it will temporarily drag the engine speed down until it pulls back up. Even when I would do a nutty launch (at close to 7k) I would see this happen. It would spin (enough for visible smoke from the stands) and stay above 6k until things grabbed pulling it down to 5k or so and resumed climbing.

I don't guess I "recommend" this type of usage, I'm just relaying my results. IMO a 3500-4000rpm clutch dump where there is no tire spin is MUCH harder on the driveline than a 7000rpm dump.

VV the subyless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast