Looks like two new tire entries in the ST* class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looks like two new tire entries in the ST* class within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; straight from the SEMA show Toyo R1R and the Kumho Ecsta XS http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda...opic.php?t=882...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Looks like two new tire entries in the ST* class

straight from the SEMA show

Toyo R1R and the Kumho Ecsta XS

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda...opic.php?t=882
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From the looks of things, the Toyo has too much open tread area to be a contender for much more than STS2.

The Kumho looks like it may have something there.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    got the relatively new Dunlop too

if nothing else it would nice if it forced prices down - ST* tires are priced too high IMO

I Support ClubWRX
    The Toyo comes in 195/50/15 and 225/45/15, perfect for me to put on my MR2 and drive it into a fence. People that can actually drive will probably record some great times with these on MR2s though. I also saw a "coming soon" thing in one of the photos listing 225/50/16, perfect for my Impreza stockers.

The Kumho will -- I guarantee -- be L O U D but that's not the point obviously. It'll also tramline on roads, especially when worn in. I have foreseen it.

The more stuff out there the better. New prices will be lower due to competition, and who knows, maybe some people will take a plunge they regret and turn around to sell lightly used sets for even less money. The market is looking great these days, eh?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always been a pretty big Toyo fan, their previous offerings simply were to soft in the sidewall for a competition tire. They talk a bit about stiffening the sidewall on the R1R- we'll see how they do w/ it.

I'm hoping GRM might grab a bucnh of these new tires (including the Dunlop) along w/ a couple of the old and give them a good thrashing

I'm very interested in the new Dunlops. I've been very impressed with my Wintersports. Also as a tire manufacturer, they have a great history in motorsport. The more options the better.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    The more options the better.
    Agreed. Good for further development and good for pricing

The idea that a guy has to spend $200ish a corner for a "street" tire is not overly appealing to me

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    yeah bringing this back from the dead, Big Sky, do you know where there is some info on the Dunlop tires?
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The Toyo comes in 195/50/15 and 225/45/15, perfect for me to put on my MR2 and drive it into a fence. People that can actually drive will probably record some great times with these on MR2s though. I also saw a "coming soon" thing in one of the photos listing 225/50/16, perfect for my Impreza stockers.

The Kumho will -- I guarantee -- be L O U D but that's not the point obviously. It'll also tramline on roads, especially when worn in. I have foreseen it.

The more stuff out there the better. New prices will be lower due to competition, and who knows, maybe some people will take a plunge they regret and turn around to sell lightly used sets for even less money. The market is looking great these days, eh?
    sorry to thread jack... what year mr2 do you have? i think i have some stock 93 rims for cheap, if the gf didn't give them away/throw them away... they have pirelli all-seasons on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

I Support ClubWRX
    some info on the Dunlops on tirerack- they came out last year, but missed the cutoff to run in the SCCA for 07 (I think it's April 1)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by p0rnstar19 View Post
    what year mr2 do you have?
    93 with revised rear suspension, but I've got the rims, thanks anyway though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by p0rnstar19 View Post
    sorry to thread jack... what year mr2 do you have? i think i have some stock 93 rims for cheap, if the gf didn't give them away/throw them away... they have pirelli all-seasons on them.
    How cheap? PM me

I Support ClubWRX
    Toyo has the R1R up on their site now

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...category=sport

I think those could very well be the rain tires to run in ST*. I don't think they are going to have the dry performance of some of the other tires.

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    I think those could very well be the rain tires to run in ST*. I don't think they are going to have the dry performance of some of the other tires.
    I think that you're right... they look like they have too many "blocks" and not enough continuous surface area. Maybe if they are shaved?

I wonder when Bridgestone is going to do another 100 bucks off? :-D
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast