Any tips on launching a manual WRX?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any tips on launching a manual WRX? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to my 04 WRX and AWD cars in general. All of the manual tranny ...

Any tips on launching a manual WRX?

Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to my 04 WRX and AWD cars in general. All of the manual tranny cars that I've driven have been real wheel drive cars, such as my RX-7. Those guys you just dump the clutch at whatever RPM you feel like and it just spins if you gave it too much gas. Oh, another thing, I've never owned a turbo either, I need to learn that part as well. My WRX is bone stock as well.

Here is what I've noticed so far:
    If I dump the clutch at 3k RPMs, it just takes off slow.
    If I ride the clutch a little at 3k RPMs, this seems to give the best results so far, but if I go any higher RPMs I can sometimes smell the clutch burn a little.
    If I dump the clutch at anything higher than 3k RPMs it jerks really hard, and sometimes bucks. I think I need to avoid dumping the clutch period.

Thanks for your help guys, I really love this car and so far, even though I don't have a really good takeoff I've pulled everyone that messed with me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club.

The 5MT WRX doesn't like to be launched in the manner that you are describing. (dumping the clutch.)
    Keep doing this, and your risk of needing a new transmission in the short term is high. Normal cars spin the wheels to relieve the stress of a hard launch; an AWD car won't spin the wheels like that, and all of the stress goes into the tranny.

If for some reason I need to get out of the hole quickly, I slip the clutch at around 3500rpms; that seems to work pretty well on my wagon.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Great, I was starting to come to that conclusion that dumping the clutch was bad! I also have a wagon, man are these cars awesome. Another big problem that I'm also having is getting people to not ignore me when I want to pick at them. I guess they just think their too good to race a wagon. I usually take off pretty quick anyway to show them what they are missing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a word to the wise. I think you'll find that the majority of people on here don't speak highly of unsactioned racing, or picking on drivers to race. To each their own obviously but you're personifying a typical nuisance most of these guys and girls can't stand.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.
    I would check out our drag forum.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Oh, sorry about that. That may explain why no one wants to play anymore. With that said, I guess I'll behave then. That's good to know that it's frowned upon now, and I'll back off. Thanks for that tip, and just a note, most of the time I would only go from stopped to maybe 5mph to 10mph over the speed limit and back off, seriously. I'm old and I have two kids, I never wanted to do anything real dangerous to hurt anyone.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's all good. I don't think anyone on here would say they didn't want to see what their car was capable of

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome.
    +1 You'll see many threads about it.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Thanks, I found the drag forum. I didn't realize there were sub forums below the other forums. I do like the ideas they have there, and it is quite easy to spin the tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucklez View Post
    Thanks, I found the drag forum. I didn't realize there were sub forums below the other forums. I do like the ideas they have there, and it is quite easy to spin the tires.
    On dry pavement? I would suggest that you are much harder on your car than I am on mine. Better start putting some funds aside into a Diff/Tranny fund.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome.
    Here here ... moving thread to that forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nucklez View Post
    Oh, sorry about that. That may explain why no one wants to play anymore. With that said, I guess I'll behave then. That's good to know that it's frowned upon now, and I'll back off. Thanks for that tip, and just a note, most of the time I would only go from stopped to maybe 5mph to 10mph over the speed limit and back off, seriously. I'm old and I have two kids, I never wanted to do anything real dangerous to hurt anyone.
    Street racing is bad - take it to the track please.

Welcome to our club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    It's all good. I don't think anyone on here would say they didn't want to see what their car was capable of
    -1 .. i treat my car like it my lady only move on when she is ready [ RA gear ]

Ok, I'll agree with you guys, street racing is bad. It's just a hard habit to break, and I'm going to have to break it before something happens. I've only had the WRX for about 3 months, and for the most part I've babied it more than any car I've ever owned. Other than the fact I've been trying to get it to take off really quick. I'll have to agree, I'll definately back off before I break something or anyone gets hurt. Thank you all for the advice, and it's good to know what the car can do, I just don't need to show it off all the time.

I'm sorry if I stepped on everyones toes right off the bat, and I hope to be a better member! I'll let everyone know how well I fight my addiction.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a good read: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...hp?t=134282261

Getting a truly competitive quick launch with AWD is an exercise in clutch / drivetrain abuse. IMO the WRX is not a great choice for drag racing. Some wheel spin is good in a from a dead stop drag race.

Be nice to your transmission - it will be nice back.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by subz View Post
    -1 .. i treat my car like it my lady only move on when she is ready [ RA gear ]
    I treat my car like a woman and replace anything that I don't like.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.