WRC Japan Oct 26-28 talk/results

This is a discussion on WRC Japan Oct 26-28 talk/results within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The 2007 edition of Rally Japan will welcome 85 crews to the 14th round of the World Rally Championship. Amongst ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool WRC Japan Oct 26-28 talk/results

The 2007 edition of Rally Japan will welcome 85 crews to the 14th round of the World Rally Championship.

Amongst the teams, we will find the three Constructors' Championship 1 contenders (Ford World Rally Team, CitroŽn Sport and Subaru World Rally Team) and the three engaged in Constructors' Championship 2 (Stobart M-Sport Ford World Rally Team, OMV Kronos CitroŽn and Munchi's Ford World Rally Team).

The event will also host the Production World Rally Championship contenders (PWRC).

Of interest is the amount of Subaru Imprezas and Group N Mitsubishi Lancers which make up a large part of the grid. Taking up 69% of the list, both Japanese manufacturers are well represented for their home event.

http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/en/index.shtml
    http://www.crash.net/home~cid~4.htm
    www.wrc.com
    www.swrt.com

mitsubishi will run a evo x grp n course car:
    http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/en/hea...18154155.shtml

GrpN evo x pics:
    http://jalopnik.com/cars/racing/grou...pan-308255.php

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grpnevox.jpg  
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-22-2007 at 12:44 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know, I kind of like the looks of the new Evo. The back of it is looking just like everyones elses lately though. I even like the new Suzuki too.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ĎEscalator Temporarily Out Of Orderí sign, just ĎEscalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.í - Mitch Hedberg

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    yup the suzuki sx4 / evo x grp n sure do look nice
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-23-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Day 1

and http://www.crash.net/home~cid~4.htm

SS1 Overall:
    1.Latvala - Ford - 04'48"9
    2.Loeb - C4 - 04'49"3
    3.Atkinson - Subaru - 04'49"5
    4.Hirvonen - Ford - 04'50"2
    5.Gronholm - Ford - 04'50"8
    6.P.Solberg - Subaru - 04'50"8
    7.Sordo - C4 - 04'55"3
    8.Stohl - Xsara - 04'56"1
    9.Pons - Subaru - 04'56"2
    10.H.Solberg - Ford - 04'56"3

by SS10 End of Day 1:

1.Hirvonen - Ford - 1h00'30"8
    2.Loeb - C4 - 1h00'41"1
    3.Latvala - Ford - 1h00'44"5
    4.Sordo - 1h01'11"4
    5.H.Solberg - 1h01'19"2
    6.Stohl - 1h02'00"8
    7.Pons - Subaru - 1h02'33"4
    8.Perez Compa - Ford - 1h02'51"6
    9.Wilson - Ford - 1h03'21"6
    10.Villagra - Ford - 1h03'57"2

63.Arai - Subaru - 1h25'31"2
    65.P.Solberg - Subaru - 1h26'01"0
    67.Atkinson - Subaru - 1h26'26"8

News
    SS4: Following his accident during this morning's special stage 4 (Rikubetsu), it has been announced that Ford team driver Marcus Gr&#246;nholm has retired from Rally Japan's first leg.

After losing control and hitting a tree stump, Gr&#246;nholm's Ford Focus RS showed heavy damage mostly on its left side, with a dent penetrating several centimetres into the cabin following the severe impact.

The team will be closely inspecting the car's rollcage which might have been damaged. If so, the Finn will be forced to retire from the remainder of the rally, losing precious points for his last World Rally Championship bid.

A decision will be announced later on regarding his further participation in Rally Japan.

Gr&#246;nholm, after taking control of the rally, had dropped down to eighth overall position before retiring from today's leg.

Official Gronholm out:
    http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wrc/..._for_good.html

Subaru's Petter Solberg has retired from leg 1 of the Rally Japan after he suffered mechanical problems en-route to SS6.The Norwegian, who had an off in SS5, which damaged the front end of his Impreza
    WRC car, had been running in sixth place overall - 6 seconds or so off his brother, Henning, who was battling for fourth with Dani Sordo.

According to initial reports Petter suffered gear selection problems on the road section and had to stop after his car got stuck in sixth gear. It is not yet known if he will be able to re-start on Saturday under the SupeRally format.

Subaru's number two driver, Chris Atkinson has retired from leg 1 of the Rally Japan after a crash in SS6.
    Atkinson, who had been running eighth overall, went off the road at the second split in the 13.95 kilometre-run through Cup Kamuy 2. Chris and co-driver, Stephane Prevot both escaped unharmed.

The Banbury-based operation will now assess the extent of the damage to the Impreza when it is returned to the service park and then they will decide whether or not the Aussie can re-start on Saturday under the SupeRally format.

Atkinson's exit follows that of his team-mate, Petter Solberg, who went out en-route to SS6 with gear selection problems.
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-26-2007 at 05:29 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Banned
    Wow. Just wow.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    and thats saying it "nicely"
    "All We'll Drive"

I'm sure the fans there are enjoying this showing from the Subaru drivers.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ĎEscalator Temporarily Out Of Orderí sign, just ĎEscalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.í - Mitch Hedberg

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Day 2

from rally-live.com
    SS13 News:
    The Niueo stage is a narrow trail stretching underneath the forest canopy with flowing turns upon a loose gravel surface. It was also the scene of two unexpected events that have greatly changed the outcome of Rally Japan.

Championship contender Sťbastien Loeb slid off the route and sent his works CitroŽn C4 into a ditch. The crew is unharmed but the same cannot be said for the silver opportunity that had appeared before Loeb when his rival Marcus GrŲnholm left the rally yesterday.

With the retirements of both the Frenchman and the Finn, they will leave Japan with a zero points gain each.

Jari-Matti Latvala, who was doing so well on these trails, stopped on the side of the road and raised the bonnet of his Stobart Ford Focus. The nature of the problem is unknown at present, but he had reported gearbox problems during the previous stage.

Dani Sordo was fastest making his was across the route, taking 12'31"3 to complete his run at the wheel of his works CitroŽn car.

For a driver learning the Japanese challenges, the Stobart Ford team's Henning Solberg did very well by reaching second place only 3.9 seconds behind Sordo.

Ford's Mikko Hirvonen came next in third place, followed by Subaru's Petter Solberg (running under SupeRally rules) and OMV Kronos CitroŽn's Manfred Stohl. The top five thereby counts a car from a different team in each spot.

Matthew Wilson reached sixth position bearing Stobart Ford colours, with Munchi's Ford drivers Luis Perez Companc and Federico Villagra close behind in seventh and eighth. Two Subaru Impreza WRXs completed the top ten, those of Toshihiro Arai and Takuma Kamada.

Manfred Stohl was reportedly having mechanical difficulties after the stage: his CitroŽn Xsara was seen stalling from time to time.

The indications on the leaderboard have greatly changed since the last stage. Mikko Hirvonen now has a solid lead on Rally Japan, 45.4 seconds on now second-placed Dani Sordo. Henning Solberg is 22.7 seconds further away from Sordo and might be tempted to push. Manfred Stohl and Luis Perez Companc now find themselves in fourth and fifth overall positions.
    "All We'll Drive"

Banned
    When I read about Marcus' and SWRT's misfortunes earlier, I really had a feeling Loeb was going to bite something, too. Go Mikko! I can't wait for the Euro Sport torrents this week! I want to see Henning on the podium, too!

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

End of Day 2 overall

As of SS20:

1.Hirvonen - Ford - 2h26'28"9
    2.Sordo - C4 - 2h27'07"1
    3.H.Solberg - Ford - 2h28'20"6
    4.Perez Compa - Ford - 2h31'34"5
    5.Wilson - Ford - 2h31'56"2
    6.Stohl - Xsara - 2h32'28"6
    7.Villagra - Ford - 2h33'55"5
    8.Taguchi - Mitsu - 2h40'19"3
    9.Pozzo - Mitsu - 2h41'16"0
    10.Kamada - Subaru - 2h42'58"5

24.P.Solberg - Subaru - 2h51'58"7 (won 4 of Day 2's stages!)

29.Arai - Subaru - 3h03'31"4

31.Loeb - C4 - 3h05'50"9
    32.Latvala - Ford - 3h06'08"2

34.Pons - Subaru - 3h16'05"5
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-27-2007 at 07:27 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Banned
    I'd love the podium to stay the way it is. Henning and Sordo need podium finishes to build their confidence and Mikko is the future of the WRC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Day 3

Overall As of SS23:

1.Hirvonen - Ford - 2h54'45"6
    2.Sordo - C4 - 2h55''35"5
    3.H.Solberg - Ford - 2h58'06"5
    4.Perez Compa - Ford - 3h00'59"0
    5.Wilson - Ford - 3h01'06"8
    6.Stohl - Xsara - 3h01'28"7
    7.Villagra - Ford - 3h04'27"5
    8.Taguchi - Mitsu - 3h11'40"7
    9.Pozzo - Mitsu - 3h13'10"6
    10.Kamada - Subaru - 3h14'49"7

20.P.Solberg - Subaru - 3h20'48"9

30.Loeb - C4 - 3h34'03"1
    31.Arai - Subaru - 3h34'05"2

33.Latvala - Ford - 3h35'41"2

46.Pons - Subaru - 3h48'24"1

News from SS23
    The layout of the Penke run forces the drivers to contest with a twisty forest route that becomes progressively more so before a rapid dash across the finish line. Sťbastien Loeb once again won a stage for the CitroŽn Sport team, for the experience, taking 13'23"8 to complete the distance.

Mikko Hirvonen, however, is protecting his overall lead by upping his pace and claiming second position at the wheel of his official Ford Focus RS, adding 4.2 seconds to his advantage over the CitroŽn team's Dani Sordo. "It's been quite good," said Hirvonen.

Nearly 20 seconds further back, two Stobart Ford drivers came next in fourth and fifth positions, with Jari-Matti Latvala showing the way to Matthew Wilson, who in turn almost halved his overall time deficit on Luis Perez Companc.

Close behind, Petter Solberg brought his works Subaru Impreza into sixth place while an equally close Manfred Stohl took seventh position for OMV Kronos CitroŽn.

Losing time against rally rival Matthew Wilson, the Munchi's Ford team's Luis Perez Companc arrived in eighth place. Henning Solberg is being careful as he makes his way through today's stages, pleased with a ninth position that brings him closer to the podium.

Crossing this route's finish line in tenth place 52.9 seconds after the leader, works Subaru driver Xevi Pons continues to race without a rear wing after hitting a tree earlier.

The general rankings show that Mikko Hirvonen now has a 49.9-second advantage on Dani Sordo. Henning Solberg remains safely in third position overall, while the gap between Luis Perez Companc and Matthew Wilson has diminished to 7.8 seconds with four stages to go.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Hirvonen Wins !

from rally-live.com
    Rally Japan was supposed to be a possible turning point between championship contenders Marcus Gr&#246;nholm and S&#233;bastien Loeb. It rather became a missed opportunity for both men as each had to retire following accidents, and if Loeb returned to the race, it was only for the experience.

The Frenchman and the Finn will therefore have to resume their battle over the two remaining rounds, in Ireland and Great Britain, where the pressure will only increase.

However, the absence of the traditional leaders should not diminish the quality of Mikko Hirvonen's Japanese victory. The young Finn gave a good fight and avoided the week-end's many traps to secure his third WRC success.

Dani Sordo saved Citro&#235;n's honour by driving into second place, while Henning Solberg reached the last step of the podium bearing the Stobart team's colours.

A second win this season for Hirvonen
    Mikko Hirvonen demonstrated that he could hold his own when he won the brand new Rally Norway early in the season, before again appearing on the podium several times thereafter.

This week-end, Hirvonen's mission was to bring home additional points for Ford and, if possible, to help Marcus Gr&#246;nholm's championship campaign. But his teammate's car-damaging mistake during the third stage would give Hirvonen the opportunity to defend his own chances for victory.

To do that, he had to hold back S&#233;bastien Loeb – so he went into attack mode and took control of the race.

The battle would quickly turn to Hirvonen's favour when Daniel Elena, Loeb's co-driver, misread a pace note and called out to push instead of slowing down. Their resulting slide into a ditch would permit Hirvonen to start managing his lead, avoid taking risks around the many traps found in the stages, and eventually sign the win for himself and Ford.

Sordo buys some time
    It is now hard to imagine how the constructors' title could escape Ford's hands, since Malcom Wilson's team can now count on a 34-point lead over Citro&#235;n. With two rallies to go, Ford is only two points away from the constructors' crown even if Citro&#235;n collects the maximum 36 points available by sucessive one-two victories.

The American manufacturer should have left Japan with the title, but Dani Sordo pushed back that almost inevitable conclusion by finishing second and bringing eight precious points to his French employer.

1.Hirvonen - Ford - 3h23'57"6
    2.Sordo - C4 - 3h24'35"0
    3.H.Solberg - Ford - 3h28'31"3
    4.Wilson - Ford - 3h30'35"5
    5.Perez Compa - Ford - 3h30'38"0
    6.Stohl - Xsara - 3h31'01"9
    7.Villagra - Ford - 3h35'12"9
    8.Taguchi - Mitsu - 3h44'37"7
    9.Pozzo - Mitsu - 3h45'50"6
    10.Araujo - Mitsu - 3h48'11"1

17.P.Solberg - Subaru - 3h50'25"8

26.Latvala - Ford - 4h04'48"2

30.Arai - Subaru - 4h08'03"3

Next Round - 16-18/Nov/2007 WRC Ireland
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-28-2007 at 05:52 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Banned

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    I find it a shame that although Ford is a American Mfr, that they have never really bothered with using it (rally/focus) for marketing in USA , I guess thats because they wouldnt want you to know that the focus(esp awd/turbo) would put there iconic mustang to shame
    "All We'll Drive"