The official what I'm doing/changing for the 08 season thread - Page 7
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official what I'm doing/changing for the 08 season thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; slowly but surely I'm tiding up the "list" I found a set of very slightly used 235/40/17 Neovas shaved to ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    slowly but surely I'm tiding up the "list"

I found a set of very slightly used 235/40/17 Neovas shaved to 5/32, I'll be mounting these on the 17x8 ES-Tarmacs. Have a set of 17x8 RC-T4's ordered that will be mounted w/ my "summer" daily driver/wet tires- yet to be determined.

working w/ AST US on a double adj coilover setup- we'll see how that goes
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Advice please?

Seeking advice on suspension upgrade. I have a 2003 WRX wagon, that is completely stock at this point. I just bought 17" Wedsport wheels (SA-70) shod with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2.

I am planning on adding thicker anti-roll bars front and rear, most likely 25mm hollows, either Cobb or Hotchkis. Any advice one way or the other there?

My main question is this. I don't want to do a coil-over setup. It's basically a weekend car, but it does occasionally get driven by someone other than me, who doesn't want it lowered or too stiff. Plus I drive it on dirt roads a lot. So I'm sticking with stock springs.

So, is there a recommended aftermarket strut that is better than others? I see Koni, Tokico, AGX, etc. I'm probably looking for an adjustable model, but other than that just something to last long, and handle the stiffer bars.

Much thanks.

For bars, since have a wagon like a few of us here, your options for the front bar are a bit limited.

I can say that the Whiteline 27mm front bar, coupled with some spherical bearing endlinks (The ones i have experience with are made by Poltec) fits, and works nice. I'd be negligent if I didn't mention the car tends to dart a bit more when you give steering response. It's no big deal, but your overall turn in is much faster and that takes a little getting used to.

As for the rear bar, i'm still Running a stock class for autoX so I havn't upgraded yet. In upgrading, i'm planning on running the 24mm Whiteline, along with new endlinks and apparently the endlink mounts. (not sure about the mounts, have heard lots of people complain though).

As for struts, i think it's pretty universal that the koni sports are the way to go if you want the best option. If you want to save a bit, and want the whole strut housing (oh yeah, the koni's require some modification as you re-use the OEM strut housing). The KYB AGX is another upgrade for our cars. Still a good choice, but generally the Koni is considered to be worth the extra scratch.

Regards,
    Chip

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcordova View Post
    Seeking advice on suspension upgrade. I have a 2003 WRX wagon, that is completely stock at this point. I just bought 17" Wedsport wheels (SA-70) shod with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2.

I am planning on adding thicker anti-roll bars front and rear, most likely 25mm hollows, either Cobb or Hotchkis. Any advice one way or the other there?

My main question is this. I don't want to do a coil-over setup. It's basically a weekend car, but it does occasionally get driven by someone other than me, who doesn't want it lowered or too stiff. Plus I drive it on dirt roads a lot. So I'm sticking with stock springs.

So, is there a recommended aftermarket strut that is better than others? I see Koni, Tokico, AGX, etc. I'm probably looking for an adjustable model, but other than that just something to last long, and handle the stiffer bars.

Much thanks.
    Hi and welcome aboard! I take you are not going to be autoxing the car?

If it sees dirt a fair amount and you want to keep close to oe height, looking into the "SPT" wagon suspension- this is the oem strut/spring setup out of the jdm v7 STi wagon. This is a very capable dirt setup, little to no lowering, spring rates are firmer than stock, but a long way way from overly firm- again it's oem. I ran this setup for a year or so (look at my project wagon thread), but determined I wanted something firmer, more tarmac orientated.

The Cobb bars AFAIK are mad by Hotchkis, simply rebranded (like many of Cobbs products)- they are equivalent to ~ 22mm solid bars, the advantage is they weigh less than their solid 22mm counterparts (but cost more ). On dirt you want as much independence (left/right) as you can get- I wouldn't go any larger than 22mm (or 25mm hollow) for that application.

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    WOOHOO Thanks WRX Wagone!

Just scored some RCE LOWERING camber plates! :-D

Things are coming together nicely, now just need to get my konis rebuilt...
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    Good deal- I wonder if that means JR got his new suspension????

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Good deal- I wonder if that means JR got his new suspension????
    It's in the works.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

*Flame Suit On*
    Got second in STX today, 6 runs, fast course, topped 3rd in the straight, Tires are shot, got beat by an R32 stock except for some light Enkeis and Dunlop rubber, Oh yeah great driver (+2 seconds)...

I made clean runs around the 70 second mark, FTD was a 60 flat in an SM EVO, the next fastest time was a 64.84 in a e36 318 with a Euro M3 motor.

All in all a great day! Car was handling REALLY well for what it is. Tire pressures were spot on, 42f/39r Hankook RS-2 tires.

The 4/2 pots were awesome! A lot more confidence in stopping and stopping fast! I have a bit to learn with adjusting my braking points now....

So have fun in the snow while you still can! We're burning rubber down here in Memphis!

Where's the bugeye?

The off road excursion of the day=

*Flame suit off*

EDIT FYI I just ordered some Koni inserts for my front strut housings, 150 bucks on Amazon, which is the cheapest I could find anywhere, 316 shipped. Amazing how things work out like that!
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 02-03-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    I love 3rd gear courses

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Well, I don't have a subie anymore but...

The '69 is due for 2" drop spindles up front, a 4-speed 200R tranny swap, and a head unit + speakers.
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Someone talk me out of P&P manifolds and crossover pipe!
    Wheels and Tires!!!!
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    you can do the P&P yourself, die grinder would be relatively quick, dremel took me a week or so working a little bit each night

Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    Someone talk me out of P&P manifolds and crossover pipe!
    Wheels and Tires!!!!
    I appears that picking up an STi manifold is the way to go. I read a very good thread (can't remember where), but the manifold is designed for more flow and the crossover pipe is larger.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    I used a set of STi exhaust elbows and crossover for my project- I never compared them to my oe ones- I assumed they were the same???? maybe not

I'll look up part #'s and see

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll be damned- different part #s

Manifold elbows

WRX Right 14010AA102, Left 14010AA020
    STi Right 14010AA131, Left 14010AA101

crossover pipe

WRX 44101FE070
    STi 44101FE080

woot for being lucky!