The official what I'm doing/changing for the 08 season thread - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official what I'm doing/changing for the 08 season thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driver mod Driver mod Driver mod Driver mod Maybe these will help ... late winter / spring of 2008...

I Support ClubWRX
    Driver mod
    Driver mod
    Driver mod
    Driver mod

Maybe these will help ... late winter / spring of 2008

Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-30-2007 at 07:09 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard the Inox finish used by KW is very good, I'm sure RCE can elaborate more- there are several guys w/ 2+ years on KW's.

I wholeheartidly agree- maximize front grip, fine tune w/ the rear

It's interesting (and makes sense) that as folks run higher and higher spring rates, sway bar diameters seem to start to trend downward
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    It's interesting (and makes sense) that as folks run higher and higher spring rates, sway bar diameters seem to start to trend downward
    Exactly. The springs give you the roll stiffness that you used to get from the swaybars.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Maybe these will help ... late winter / spring of 2008

I don't think so. I think they'll hurt more than they'll help.

Running 18s might be ok for STi's in BSP or higher form, but WRXs will struggle in ESP form. There are several disadvantages to running a taller wheel.

First off, weight. 18s are generally heavier than 16s and 17s and will require more use of power to turn them. Second, you have now moved the heaviest part of the wheel/tire combo another 1/2" out further creating more rotational mass and having to use yet even more power to turn them at the same rate as 17s. Third, the wheel/tire combos that are used are going to give a larger overall circumfrence, causing a disadvantage in gearing. Fourth, it raises the car up another 1/2" causing a higher center of gravity.

I wouldn't recomend 18s for the above reasons. 16s I think are ideal for gearing and weight (plus a lower center of gravity too) but 17s offer the best tire choices.
    #478 E Street Prepared
    CIR/CCSCC/GASS series
    by Nukabe-CUSCO and TurboXS

BugEye Mafia, Made 12-18-07 (#159)

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    They make a 17x8 version that weighs around 16 lbs...

Those are the wheels I'd like to buy as well...

Yes higher the spring rate the less sway bar you need. It's a rule of thumb for a lot of cars.

2008 National Tour

It seems that the 2008 National Tour schedule has been leaked to SCCAForums and subsequently to Nasioc. Looks like the first event for me will be the last weekend in February in Cecil, GA (just outside Valdosta) so crunch time has officially started. I've got A LOT to get done to be able to make that event (not to mention asking forgiveness of my parents to let me not visit them on that trip). Time to start prioritizing everything and start whoring myself out for extra cash.

hope to see some of you guys at the tours, I should be going to 4 of them (Cecil, Atlanta, Peru, Milwaukee).
    #478 E Street Prepared
    CIR/CCSCC/GASS series

Whoa Feb... humm..

Do you have a link to the tour schedule?
    2002 PSM WRX <- going back to stock Suspension parts GALORE for sale!
    The Project STX Sedan Build Thread
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    if someone finds the link please post

I'm hoping to hit Atwater, Packwood- maybe Milwaukee- we'll see

SCCA Solo National Tour Schedule

People are saying the schedule will change but I wouldn't expect it to change much.
    #478 E Street Prepared
    CIR/CCSCC/GASS series

Well seeing as I have a strictly limited budget this year I will probably only be changing out my scorched brake pads for some HP+'s. My brother gave me a rear diff/subframe bushing kit for X-mas so I guess that is a change for this season. I think the driver mod is my main focus this year, and then maybe next year it will be time for a nice coilover setup. I am also considering a downpipe and Accessport but seing as ther is still no STU map for the 06 WRX I guess that is not a logical choice.

How would a rear strut bar help the rigidity of the wagon? anybody using one? That might be on the list for this next season as well.

oh yeah.....
    JR are you going to keep your suspension setup once you go to the coilovers? I might want to take those inserts off of your hands......

Other than that I don't think that anything I do will help the fact that my car really isn't that competitive in STU, so why spend a butt load of money in the car when I need to improve my driving?
    2006 WRB WRX Wagon

Just picked up some RS 6 spokes :-D To tide me over because the WRX wheels will not fit my brake setup!
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    a rear strut bar helps the wagon, no doubt about it- it certainly isn't the #1 priority, but worth doing IMO

STU is a tough class for a WRX. I know the Dodge guys are trying to get their SRT's into STX (they don't like playing in STX either), don't know what the chances of that are though.

I like the 6 spokes , the WRX should have come w/ 7" rims (as they did elsewhere- along w/ 4/2 pots and a whole host of other bits) to begin w/- never understood how they would should the RS for that many years in a 7" rim and then go to 6.5" rim w/ the debut of the WRX

Crunch time!

Well, some plans have changed (what's new?) and it's now officially crunch time for me.

I've picked up a codriver for the 2008 Dixie National Tour in late February so I've got about 50 days or so to get all my off season stuff done and get down there. He's providing some aluminum lower control arms for the front and some 17x10 CCWs with 295/35/17 Hoosier A6s for the event. Due to the massive wheels, I've got to raise the car up about 3/4" for enough clearance under hard cornering to prevent rubbing. Hope to get a trailer sometime during the month of January as well.

I've got a huge list (to long to list ) but I managed to clean up the garage, pull all the rally light bar wiring out, get the car up on stands, pulled the wheels, loosened the rear lower shock bolts (they're always to hardest to get off), pulled the back seat, fixed a dangling license plate light (what a pain!), drained the rest of the washer fluid, and pulled off the hood to make working, leaning, and walking easier around the car.

A few pics for the heck of it

#478 E Street Prepared
    CIR/CCSCC/GASS series

How do you like your hitch?

I've decided I need one to haul my junk/extra tires around to events.

*Goes back out the the garage to put on new brakes*
    Race hard or go home!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalseance View Post
    I don't think so. I think they'll hurt more than they'll help.

Running 18s might be ok for STi's in BSP or higher form, but WRXs will struggle in ESP form. There are several disadvantages to running a taller wheel.

First off, weight. 18s are generally heavier than 16s and 17s and will require more use of power to turn them. Second, you have now moved the heaviest part of the wheel/tire combo another 1/2" out further creating more rotational mass and having to use yet even more power to turn them at the same rate as 17s. Third, the wheel/tire combos that are used are going to give a larger overall circumfrence, causing a disadvantage in gearing. Fourth, it raises the car up another 1/2" causing a higher center of gravity.

I wouldn't recomend 18s for the above reasons. 16s I think are ideal for gearing and weight (plus a lower center of gravity too) but 17s offer the best tire choices.
    I just saw your post ...

What I intended from the start - I now have the 17" x 8"
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...05#post2144805

Driver mod ...
    Driver mod ...
    Driver mod ...
    Driver mod ...
    Driver mod ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.