The official what I'm doing/changing for the 08 season thread - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The official what I'm doing/changing for the 08 season thread within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wrx wagone Bridge stones, Yok ohama s Oh ... that is all too obvious now. Quite the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Bridgestones, Yokohamas
    Oh ... that is all too obvious now.

Quite the redo you are planning.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Oh ... that is all too obvious now.

Quite the redo you are planning.
    ****in' A right. I'm Kansas bound baby.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah those rates were a little firmer than what I'm looking at

Just read up on the Monotubes- interesting as I never heard of them- monotube vs their normal twintube, larger damping range and fully rebuildable- probably bigger pistons as well- sound nice
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    This should be the list:

coilovers
    Whats your old spring/strut setup? I'm looking for something stiffer/better than my stock struts and h-techs .
    Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF4E View Post
    Whats your old spring/strut setup? I'm looking for something stiffer/better than my stock struts and h-techs .
    I have Koni inserts with JDM STi pink springs and big ****in swaybars.

If you don't want to deal with the stiff ride of coilovers, this setup or using RCE Yellow springs is really quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    any details on this yet? I'm looking at several different possibities, but nothing solid yet.

I do know that I'm going to give Dennis Grant's theory on frequency a shot- calculating it out this for the wagon comes out to ~ 450# spring in front and 400# in the rear- I realize this lower than many of the national contender setups, but I'd rather start too low than too high (I'm damn sure my "boss" would too )
    Any details on this theory? I did a Google search and it pointed to this thread.

Someone mentioned this to me this past Sunday and I have been looking for the details. I know it has to do with the natural frequency of the car setup, but that about it.

yeah those rates were a little firmer than what I'm looking at

Just read up on the Monotubes- interesting as I never heard of them- monotube vs their normal twintube, larger damping range and fully rebuildable- probably bigger pistons as well- sound nice
    I'll be doing more looking into them, but apparently Tein has started rebuilding product in CA. I will find out what their service is like as I will more than likely need the rears custom valved. I'll let you know how it works out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STiDriven View Post
    Any details on this theory? I did a Google search and it pointed to this thread.

Someone mentioned this to me this past Sunday and I have been looking for the details. I know it has to do with the natural frequency of the car setup, but that about it.
    Here's his site- lots of good info

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

In my project wagon thread I've got all of the numbers/formulas worked out- the unsprung weights I have posted will be very close to the sedans.

Here's his site- lots of good info

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

In my project wagon thread I've got all of the numbers/formulas worked out- the unsprung weights I have posted will be very close to the sedans.

Cool, Thanks! Time to dig in....

Planning on full suspension setup:
    Coilover setup around the 400/350 or 350/300 (RCE Tarmac 2s are a strong possibility) OR traditional spring/strut setup with the STI Arai Springs w/ Tokico D-specs. These matched with camber plates and F/R swaybars. Hopefully my wallet will allow for it... with the canadian dollar up, its lookin good

BigSkyWRX I've been following your nasioc thread on your STI Arai/Tarmac setup and you've answered in my thread about Arai reviews... I thought you loved that setup... why the change to coilovers? (You seem to have the same taste in suspension setup as I do so maybe your rationale might help me make my decision).
    Last edited by drummerboy; 10-26-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Planning on full suspension setup:
    Coilover setup around the 400/350 or 350/300 (RCE Tarmac 2s are a strong possibility) OR traditional spring/strut setup with the STI Arai Springs w/ Tokico D-specs. These matched with camber plates and F/R swaybars. Hopefully my wallet will allow for it... with the canadian dollar up, its lookin good

BigSkyWRX I've been following your nasioc thread on your STI Arai/Tarmac setup and you've answered in my thread about Arai reviews... I thought you loved that setup... why the change to coilovers? (You seem to have the same taste in suspension setup as I do so maybe your rationale might help me make my decision).
    If your looking for a daily driver that can still be competitive than the Arai/Koni setup would be tough to beat IMO. I'm very seriously thinking about prepping my car to the tilt for STX competition- that means firmer spring rates yet. I think I'm going to be in the 450-500 range in the front, 400-450 rear- these rates are beyond the "daily driver" designation IMO. Not saying they can't be daily driven (mine still will ), BUT w/o any doubt, this setup will be well right of the comfy range. The Arai's are the firmest oe style spring made, if there was a firmer spring set I'd certainly look into those as the Koni's could handle a still firmer rate. I even looked into a one-off spring set, found a company that would do it- simply cost prohibitive. This next setup will likely be double (and even possibly triple) adj, so that will give some more tools for fine tuning as well.

I'm not the least dissatisfied w/ the Arai?koni setup, just the opposite, but if I decide to step up my prep it sure looks like it's going to have to be coilovers.

Mike

1. front sway bar
    2. h brace
    3. rear sway bar with links
    4. 5 spoke rims + tires, probably the neogens' again
    5. vf34 or 39
    6. sti pinks
    7. fmic
    8. intake
    9. skid plate
    10. 35 % tint
    11. a pillar gauge cluster + stock boost gauge pod
    12. harness bar + driver harness
    13. coilovers

I know its a lot of stuff. but hopefll I don't get into any troubles on the way. averaged out 1 item per commission check...
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

My car is being built for SM. One of each for the following in ESP,STX, and STU. I guess I am going to bite the bullet and but ccw's. Agghhh they are son expensive

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    Running an SP class in a WRX/STi?

What other cars ya running?
    "Failure is an orphin, sucsees has many fathers's"

If your looking for a daily driver that can still be competitive than the Arai/Koni setup would be tough to beat IMO. I'm very seriously thinking about prepping my car to the tilt for STX competition- that means firmer spring rates yet. I think I'm going to be in the 450-500 range in the front, 400-450 rear- these rates are beyond the "daily driver" designation IMO. Not saying they can't be daily driven (mine still will ), BUT w/o any doubt, this setup will be well right of the comfy range. The Arai's are the firmest oe style spring made, if there was a firmer spring set I'd certainly look into those as the Koni's could handle a still firmer rate. I even looked into a one-off spring set, found a company that would do it- simply cost prohibitive. This next setup will likely be double (and even possibly triple) adj, so that will give some more tools for fine tuning as well.

I'm not the least dissatisfied w/ the Arai?koni setup, just the opposite, but if I decide to step up my prep it sure looks like it's going to have to be coilovers.

Mike
    Thanks Mike... pm'd you to keep this thread on topic
    Last edited by drummerboy; 10-30-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Lets see here... A lot is changing this year...

First off, I am may end up being Co Solo Chair for the MidSouth Region SCCA Solo Program! So that will be a lot of work!

Second Driver mods!
    Evo Schools and local schools as well

Third car mods!

Brakes:
    FHI 4/2pot brakes
    DBA Rotors and Hawk HP+ pads

Suspension Changes:
    Koni inserts with D_Rex spacers
    GC Adj Springs with 450# springs front and rear
    22mm Swaybars front and rear at the moment but might step up the front bar to a 27mm Adj.
    Group N Bushings EVERYWHERE
    MAYBE Shiney Aluminum Lateral Links

Might try the stock Wheels with 225/50/16 rubber for the first half of the season. Then on to 17x8 235/40/17s :-D

The car at the end of this season had:
    Stock brakes
    Hawk HP+ Pads
    ATE Fuild
    Stainless Lines
    Brembo Blanks
    Stock struts and Springs
    22mm Whiteline Swaybars front and rear
    225/50/17 Hankook R-S2 Rubber

Here is my thread where Big Sky is schooling me in suspension.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...18#post2133618

EDIT:
    Last but not least: ATTEND NATIONALS and not come in last!
    Last edited by Pzary3233; 11-29-2007 at 10:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.