Brazilian GP talk/rant - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Brazilian GP talk/rant within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; exactly my thinking /\ Matt...

exactly my thinking /\

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I can respect the fighting spirit, and understand it. Just seems like he went overboard.
    +1 if he had just stayed right behind Alonso he probably could have passed him later even. Instead he lost his cool because his team mate passed him and blew his championship in a botched maneuver.

He'll probably win a championship soon anyway and perhaps this will help to cool the media fervor around Hamilton.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Kimi Raikkonen wins at Interlagos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    By ALAN HENRY

After months of controversy, sniping and anticipation that either rookie star Lewis Hamilton or his McLaren teammate and defending world champion Fernando Alonso would win the Formula One world championship, Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen—all but dismissed as an afterthought recently—won both the race and the title in a Ferrari 1-2 in Brazil ahead of his teammate Felipe Massa. At least, that is, until the FIA international court of appeal considers yet another controversy in what has been a year of lunacy.

But first, what happened on-track: Hamilton’s bid to become the youngest Formula One champion of all time and the first rookie to win the title collapsed less than halfway around lap one of the Brazilian Grand Prix. At the end of a roller-coaster 17-race season during which Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes never allowed another team to halt their winning domination, Raikkonen finished with a commanding win, just as he started the year in Australia. Hamilton and Alonso, who finished third, tied for second place in the points standings with 109. Raikkonen finished with 110 to become Finland’s third F1 champion, joining Keke Rosberg (1982) and Mika Hakkinen (’98 and ’99).

Raikkonen followed Massa until the final round of pit stops, after which he assumed a narrow lead. Hamilton had dropped to 18th on lap six when a gearbox problem slowed his McLaren to walking pace. The car recovered, and Hamilton made the best of a nightmare scenario for the balance of the 71-lap race. McLaren confirmed that Hamilton’s gearbox incorrectly selected neutral; the electrical control system took about 20 seconds to reprogram and begin selecting gears again.

For McLaren, the defeat in its quest to secure the drivers’ championship as a consolation for being stripped of its constructors’ points by the FIA (Competition, Sept. 24) was a disastrous way to end the year. That Raikkonen left McLaren to join Ferrari at the end of last season after a frustrating five-year stint with the team only heightened the discomfort felt by McLaren chairman Ron Dennis and his right-hand man, Martin Whitmarsh.

Both Ferraris boxed Hamilton in at the start, and Raikkonen then chopped Hamilton coming out of the second corner, forcing the rookie to back off the throttle momentarily. This allowed Alonso to nip through to take third place. Obviously flustered after dropping from second place on the starting grid to fourth within 20 seconds of the start, Hamilton then ran wide onto a broad runoff area and dropped back into the middle of the field. He completed the opening lap in eighth place as Massa led ahead of Raikkonen. Ferrari’s F2007 car demonstrated such storming pace that there was never any chance of Alonso (who could have claimed the title by finishing second behind Raikonnen), let alone Hamilton, catching up.

After his first-lap mistake and the gearbox failure, Hamilton pushed relentlessly, especially after the last round of pit stops, diving deep into the many tricky braking areas on the challenging Interlagos circuit. One by one, he picked off the midfield runners. He needed to be fifth to win the championship, but he could do no better than seventh, just enough to place second in the championship, ahead of Alonso by virtue of the tiebreaker.

The Interlagos tarmac is where Brazilian motor-racing legend has been written over the decades. Thirty-four years ago, a capacity crowd roared approval as Emerson Fittipaldi, then the youngest world champion ever at 25, stormed into view to take the checkered flag and win his country’s first F1 Grand Prix at the wheel of a Lotus 72.

The F1 fraternity rolled into Sao Paulo this year to find a superbly resurfaced track void of many of the car-bruising bumps that existed for years. Despite concerns over the durability of Bridgestone’s soft-compound tire as track temperatures soared, qualifying turned out to be an untroubled affair. Massa—last year’s hometown winner—delighted the locals with a commanding run to pole position ahead of Hamilton, who apologized to Raikkonen for having balked his Ferrari during the close-fought session. The Finn seemed sanguine; moving back onto the second row put him on the clean racing line right behind Massa. Alonso, fourth, was also on the dirty inside line right behind Hamilton.

Massa didn’t push hard in the race’s early stages, and the Ferraris breezed through their first pit stops at the end of laps 20 and 21 before resuming at the head of the field. By this time, Nick Heidfeld’s BMW-Sauber seemed safely ensconced in third place, chased by Nico Rosberg’s Williams-Toyota, David Coulthard’s Red Bull-Ferrari, Alonso and Robert Kubica in the other BMW.

In the closing stages, Rosberg and the two BMWs put on a spectacular show as they jousted wheel-to-wheel only inches apart at 190 mph. Had two of them collided and retired from the race, they would have promoted Hamilton to fifth and handed him the championship, but they retained their self-control long enough to deny the McLaren driver. An anxious Ferrari team had to wait nervously to see that Rosberg, Kubica and Heidfeld were safely across the line before uncorking the champagne. No doubt, known party hound Raikkonen finally cracked a smile.

However, it may fade to a frown. Officials announced after the race that fuel samples taken from the cars of Rosberg, Kubica and Heidfeld—who all finished ahead of Hamilton—contravened the rules. Article 6.5.5 of F1’s technical regulations states, “No fuel on board [any] car may be more than 10 degrees centigrade below ambient temperature.” None of the cars in question was more than four degrees outside the limit, but Mike Gascoyne, the Spyker team’s technical boss, said the variances could give an engine an additional 5 to 10 hp.

Race stewards elected not to penalize the drivers in question, saying the matter was unclear and that they had conflicting information about the actual fuel and ambient temperatures. Not surprisingly, McLaren announced its intention to take the case to the FIA international court of appeal. If the court hears the case and determines the cars in question were illegal, it could disqualify all three. That would elevate Hamilton to fourth place in the results and hand him the title.

Unfortunately, that would perhaps be a fitting end to a season marked by ludicrous off-track controversy.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, like Ray said the rookie couln't close the deal. Twice. Oh well, Kimi clearly deserves it more now. Maybe Hamilton was afraid of coming in fourth if Alonso got past both Ferraris??
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    from f1-live.com:

"Lewis Hamilton on Monday said he does not want to be declared world champion if it means stripping Kimi Raikkonen of his title on appeal.

"It would be wrong," Reuters quotes the 22-year-old British rookie as saying in his Sao Paulo hotel room.

more here:
    http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...22212558.shtml
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Great Race to end a great season...Hamilton showed his age and Kimi snuck by to beat Alonso...could not have been a better ending if you ask me.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers View Post
    Great Race to end a great season...Hamilton showed his age and Kimi snuck by to beat Alonso...could not have been a better ending if you ask me.
    I have to agree, all in all it was the most entertaining scenario.

Kudos to Hamilton for his statement, although I wonder if he would just fall back on "Oh well, I guess its not up to me after all".

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I have to agree, all in all it was the most entertaining scenario.

Kudos to Hamilton for his statement, although I wonder if he would just fall back on "Oh well, I guess its not up to me after all".
    True...note he did not say "I will not accept the championship...etc". Personally though, with the major wack the FIA gave mclaren, if I were in his shoes, it would be a tough call. Rules is rules though, and everyone should abide by them. My favorite part in the story above is how the fuel temps were only 4 degrees beyond the limit. So...now we have a buffer past the limit of the stated rule. If that is the case, could mclaren only have stolen part of the ferrari secrets and that would have made ok?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

The FIA deemed Mclaren's appeal inadmissible

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...7/11/7104.html
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    At least Ferrari had a happy ending to the season:

I Support ClubWRX
    Homina homina.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

now thass a "grand prix"
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234