CN GP: Oops goes Hamilton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on CN GP: Oops goes Hamilton within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, Hamilton joined a long list of distinguished GP drivers that have stuffed it into the armco, missed the entry, ...

I Support ClubWRX

CN GP: Oops goes Hamilton

Well, Hamilton joined a long list of distinguished GP drivers that have stuffed it into the armco, missed the entry, overcooked it, stalled, or otherwise failed to successfully enter the pit lane. Such a shame too, he was on his way to another podium and to the world driving championship.

I enjoyed the GP regardless. Real racing. Strategies, offs, fuel loads, tyre choice, rain, drizzle, dry lines, bumps, spins, and so on. A real Grand Prix for a change. Raikkonen and Massa and Alonso are showing that GP driver knack for never, ever, giving up until the finish lines (and in modern times, with lawyers, even well after the finish line -- but that's another story).

This has turned out to be a great season. I can't imagine viewership dropping after all this, as each GP has gotten better and better with more spectacle and plenty of drama both on and off the course. F1 had almost become homogenized, but now things are looking better.

Next year, the lack of traction control will separate the men from the boys, and maybe even equalize chassis advantages the big spenders have over the smaller teams -- after all, at least initially every surface and every track on every GP will seem "wet" compared to the ECU-controlled full-throttle exits everyone had been using. What does worry me a bit is the unified ECU. It's an idea that addressed a question nobody was really asking, in a way nobody can really predict, and instead of making things more interesting it can set up a real fiasco. After all, the ECU is one of the things that makes each car different. By unifying the design, F1 would take a step back toward a homogenized "spec" series -- and I can always watch Nascar instead for that sort of thing. Hopefully the step backwards will be very, very small.

Champion this year -- post your predictions?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm holding out that Hamilton can pull it off. He seems to be qualifying well over the last few races. Of course, it could just be wishful thinking on my part, since I'm not really a fan of Kimi or Alonso. (The people, not their capabilities)

I've also really enjoyed the season, especially since I got to see the USGP in person. That raised the whole activity a bit out of the abstract, and into something that I can relate to.

It's been fun watching BMW rise to a solid #3..hoping for them to be a contender next year. Red Bull has really turned it on in the last part of this season...that's been fun. Even Super Best Friends has had some moments in the sun. I'm annoyed that we no longer have an American present in the field, but his replacement seems to be someone to watch.

And yeah, I'm really eager to see what happens when TC goes away. I'm wondering if we're going to see a serious reshuffling of the field.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it was a great race. I guess it was Hamilton's turn, but that would have been a very easy situation to avoid had they just been going straight for the championship. I mean, Alonso was already picking up 7 sec on a lap his tires were so bad. One extra pit and he probably would have still made the podium. He is still 2 more points up now that they have both had a round of bad luck (or ran out of talent perhaps).

I'm still in for Hamilton. Alonso would be a bummer for me. I actually like Raikkonen OK because of a crazy finish guy I hung out with for a while. I can overlook what seems to be off color behavior they are famous for (I'm not trying to stereotype, just saying I give them their cultural freedom to occasionally seem like jerks to the rest of us).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess I should explain a bit about Raikkonen. I'm really just kinda neutral towards him; his party life doesn't really effect me one way or the other. Alonso comes across to me as a whiner. Hamilton seems like a class act to me...he screws up his opportunity at China, and still comes right out and shakes the hand of every man in the McLaren paddock. I guess I'm a sucker for someone with good manners.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I guess I should explain a bit about Raikkonen. I'm really just kinda neutral towards him; his party life doesn't really effect me one way or the other. Alonso comes across to me as a whiner. Hamilton seems like a class act to me...he screws up his opportunity at China, and still comes right out and shakes the hand of every man in the McLaren paddock. I guess I'm a sucker for someone with good manners.
    I pretty much agree with this whole post.

It was definitely an exciting race.

I'm still holding out hope for Raikkonnen winning the championship but thats the least likely of the 3 to get it.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    It was definitely an exciting race.

I'm still holding out hope for Raikkonnen winning the championship but thats the least likely of the 3 to get it.
    I don't know...at this point anything could happen. Alonso and Hamilton are pretty dicey, these days; Alonso basically ran him off the road a couple of races ago. If they took each other out, it's all Kimi would need.

Also, the balance of power between McLaren and Ferrari has really shifted back and forth this year, track by track. Off the top of my head, I don't know if Brazil will favor one team or the other. Granted, Kimi would probably need to win, with both McLaren's screwing up royally.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know...at this point anything could happen. Alonso and Hamilton are pretty dicey, these days; Alonso basically ran him off the road a couple of races ago. If they took each other out, it's all Kimi would need.

Also, the balance of power between McLaren and Ferrari has really shifted back and forth this year, track by track. Off the top of my head, I don't know if Brazil will favor one team or the other. Granted, Kimi would probably need to win, with both McLaren's screwing up royally.
    If I had to pick a winner for the race, I'd say Massa.

Yeah its certainly possible, it would be nice for Ferrari to win something other than the constructors championship which is kind of tarnished this season.

On a side note has anyone heard any rumors about where Alonso's going next season. I read an article that claimed he'd go to Ferrari and Massa to toyota but I never heard anything about it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    If I had to pick a winner for the race, I'd say Massa.
    Thats possible or he could get overly excited and crash. You never really know with Massa.
    FORZA FERRARI

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    hope massa or alonso doesnt win as they are whiney b!tches imho

i hope hammy pulls it off and if he cant let the iceman win
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post

i hope hammy pulls it off and if he cant let the iceman win
    Their probably less likely to win if their respective team mates are anywhere close they'll probably find some way to get the important guy in front. i.e. maybe a slightly longer pit stop for Alonso vs Hamilton.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Massa? Really? I hadn't seen that side of him...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

if alonso went to ferrari.... they are picking up a real bonafide winer. esepecially since he would be #2 and they wouldnt be helping him as much and he would be losing again, and he'd prolly try to ruin ferrari like he has mclaren... im quite spiteful of him since i met him. for lack of a better word to decribe him hes a duche.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

There is no way that Alonso could get along with another top-tier driver being on the same team so I think that going to Ferrari is out of the question. His best bet is to go back to Renault where he would get his #1 status back along side of Kovalainen. Alternatively, he could be a good fit in the new Prodrive team if they end up using cars with McLaren chassis. This would put him in another possibly competitive car. Going to Toyota, in my opinion, would not suit him well since Toyota can't give him the competitive car that he would need to compete along side the McLaren, Ferrari, and the fast-rising BMW cars.

As far as what a good replacement for Alonso would be - I think that, for all of his natural talent, Hamilton could benefit from a veteran driver that doesn't have the same kind of chip on his shoulder that Alonso does. To that end, I think that someone like David Coulthard would make great addition to the McLaren team and would be a great coach to Hamilton. - Discuss -
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I Support ClubWRX
    McLaren have repeatedly done well with two #1 drivers (Lauda and Prost, Prost and Senna) so if the money's right for the team they may replace Alonso with another peacock and just watch the points roll in.

I think the Prodrive team will give Toyota a run for their money, at least initially. Fifteenth and fourteenth will be hotly contested. In a few years they may become increasingly competitive or just quit. I am against chassis sales in F1, unless the team get up on a ladder and scream to the world "we cannot make our own car, we are not a manufacturer, we sell advertising space" and unless the team cannot compete for the manufacturer's championship (at which point I doubt they could get sponsorship from anyone except maybe douche makers).

It is curious how unified ECUs and low-tech (no traction control) and chassis rentals and B teams and all that are gaining advantages in the rule book as Prodrive enter the game...

I'd like to see Super Agouri on the podium next.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast