???What is the best way to shift for drag???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ???What is the best way to shift for drag??? within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've had people tell me to not to let go of the gas while I shift and others tell me ...

Exclamation ???What is the best way to shift for drag???

I've had people tell me to not to let go of the gas while I shift and others tell me to let go in between gears. Whats the best way you guys found to get a better quarter mile time???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Really if you don't want to RayRayRayRay anything up. Gas, off gas, clutch in, into the next gear, clutch out/gas.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Might want to check out the stickies in this forum. Lots of stuff in their on launching and shifting.

IMHO....flat foot shifting or speed shifting is not a good thing for a AWD car with good traction. To harsh on the engine mounts, trans mounts, clutch, and of course, the trans itself.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I just anticipate the shift then stab the clutch as fast as you can and rip it into the next gear (off gas, not flat foot shifting). Although 1st to 2nd is tough to get in sometimes, I think its the synchros, and I dont really force it but 2nd-5th useually isnt a problem. Im starting to doubht the people that say the trannies are going to blow up if you beat on it. Anything will blow up if you beat on it enough. Everyone that I know who that has these cars beats the hell out of their trannies and are still fine, but one, and he used to redline clutch dump everywhere and this was a years worth of doing that. Me on the other hand I baby mine everywhere and only rip though the gears hard when I drag it which is very rarely (twice so far after almost 1 1/2 years). Their not as fragile as you think.
    Last edited by SubieStylez; 10-02-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Sold the WRX bought a '06 Evo IX MR and sorry to say never looked back

Just use the stock rev limiter as launch control and dump the clutch... And don't even put the clutch in when you shift... Just take both hands and yank it in to the next gear... Flat footed of course...

In all seriousness...

Quote Originally Posted by smoo95 View Post
    Just use the stock rev limiter as launch control and dump the clutch... And don't even put the clutch in when you shift... Just take both hands and yank it in to the next gear... Flat footed of course...

In all seriousness...
    thats how i launch but it i prefer the clutch when shifting

but for real just be smooth with the clutch transitions dont dump
    thats not to say you cant let it out extremely fast

i also shift a little early before the redline feels faster that way
    i guess it runs out of boost top end
    2007 red wrx tr
    all stock

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.