FIA and Mclaren--news
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on FIA and Mclaren--news within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; McLaren have been stripped of all their points in this year constructors' championship and handed a 0 million fine, following ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post FIA and Mclaren--news

McLaren
    have been stripped of all their points in this year constructors' championship and handed a $100 million fine, following the World Motor Sport Council spy hearing today.

Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton both retain their points' in the drivers' championship.

More to follow as we get it...
    http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~154388.htm
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy crap!!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    more:
    The FIA also announced that they will compile a report on McLaren's 2008 challenger – the MP4-23 - and that it will be examined independently, assumingly to ensure Ferrari's intellectual property has not been used.

If Ron Dennis' team is found to have used any information from the Ferrari dossier then they will lose all points in 2008 as well.

McLaren-Mercedes are due to hold a press conference now at 19.15 hours BST.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~154389.htm
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 09-13-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Ferrari have reacted to the news that arch-rivals
    McLaren have been handed a record fine and been stripped of their constructor points after the FIA was satisfied new evidence proved they had been ‘spying'.

Ferrari took the matter back to the World Motor Sport Council when McLaren were exonerated initially for being in possession of documents but not having them influence the current car.

However, new evidence, which is still unknown, appears to have worked in Ferrari's favour, prompting the FIA to strip McLaren of their constructor points and land them a massive $100 million fine.

Ferrari have since released this brief statement signalling their satisfaction of the outcome:

“Ferrari acknowledges the decision of the FIA to sanction Vodafone McLaren Mercedes for its breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

”In light of new evidence, facts and behaviour of an extremely serious nature and grossly prejudicial to the interest of the sport have been further demonstrated.

”Ferrari is satisfied that the truth has now emerged.”

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~154391.htm
    "All We'll Drive"

Whoa!!! Thats pretty heavy. It kind of ruins the rest of the season though. Ferrari is pretty much guaranteed to win the constructor but it sort of doesn't count.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    looks as if alonso could not handle being the #2 man on the team...

he will be driving for ferrari soon i bet.

I dont see how they let the drivers keep their points but not the team. I mean the drivers themselves didnt cheat. Obviously the fia feels Mclaren gained an advantage with the documents so wouldnt that mean the drivers did as well? Its good for F1 that they did just wipe out both championship races though.
    I hear voices but all they do is complain

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, this season just officially ceased to be fun...unless Hamilton pulls out the rookie Championship. Gotta suck to be Ron Dennis, right now.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Mclaren Statement:

McLaren have issued a statement noting that while the most important thing following the WMSC spy hearing today is that they can continue to compete in the FIA Formula 1 World Championship, they do not accept that they deserved to be penalised as they have been.

Indeed the Woking-based squad goes on to add that while they have never denied that the information from
    Ferrari
    was in the personal possession of one of their employees at his home, the fact remains it still hasn't been proven that this data was actually used by them.

The full statement from McLaren read:

“The most important thing is that we will be going motor racing this weekend, the rest of the season and every season. This means that our drivers can continue to compete for the World Championship.

“However having been at the hearing today I do not accept that we deserved to be penalised in this way.

“Today's evidence given to the FIA by our drivers, engineers and staff clearly demonstrated that we did not use any leaked information to gain a competitive advantage.

“Much has been made in the press and at the hearing today of emails and text messages to and from our drivers. The World Motorsport Council received statements from Fernando Alonso,
    Lewis Hamilton
    and Pedro de la Rosa stating categorically that no Ferrari information had been used by McLaren and that they had not passed any confidential data to the team.

“The entire engineering team in excess of 140 people provided statements to the FIA affirming that they had never received or used the Ferrari information.

“We have never denied that the information from Ferrari was in the personal possession of one of our employees at his home. The issue is: was this information used by McLaren? This is not the case and has not been proven today.

“We are also continually asked if
    McLaren
    didn't use the information, what was the reason for Nigel Stepney and Mike Coughlan collecting all this data about Ferrari? We can only speculate as neither Coughlan nor Stepney gave evidence at today's hearing, but we do know that they were both seeking employment with other teams, as already confirmed by both
    Honda
    and Toyota.

“There will be no issue for the 2008 season as we have not at any stage used any intellectual property of any other team.

“We have got the best drivers and the best car and we intend to win the World Championship.”
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 09-13-2007 at 01:01 PM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

FIA no rationale unti tomorrow

The FIA World Motor Sport Council met in Paris today and McLaren
    were left fuming following their verdict, which will see the team kicked out of the 2007 constructors' championship and handed a massive fine.

The full blurb from the FIA read:

In an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council held in Paris on the 12th of September 2007, the following decision was taken:

“The WMSC has stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructor points in the 2007 FIA
    Formula One
    World Championship and the team can score no points for the remainder of the season.*

“Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to $100m, less the FOM income lost as a result of the points' deduction.

“However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team's drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regard to drivers' points.**

“The WMSC will receive a full technical report on the 2008 McLaren car and will take a decision at its December 2007 meeting as to what sanction, if any, will be imposed on the team for the 2008 season.”

The full reasons for this decision will be issued on 14th September 2007.

*Points gained by other teams so far this season will not be affected.

**No McLaren representative will be allowed on the podium should a McLaren driver win in any of the remaining races of the 2007 season.
    "All We'll Drive"

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Those F1 guys never do anything cheaply,haha.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourque77 View Post
    I dont see how they let the drivers keep their points but not the team. I mean the drivers themselves didnt cheat.

Fernando Alonso, Pedro de la Rosa, and Lewis Hamilton were given immunity in order to secure their testimonies. The correspondence between Alonso and de la Rosa was important to the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-X (abbreviated) View Post
    Yeah, this season just officially ceased to be fun...unless Hamilton pulls out the rookie Championship. Gotta suck to be Ron Dennis, right now.

I'm sure $100M USD is a lot of money for anyone, and it certainly puts things in perspective in a world where there is still widespread famine, but McLaren Int. take in up to $500M annually and this isn't the first F1 scandal -- cheating has always been part of the sport, even though people don't like to think of it that way. So have complaints and deliberations and sanctions and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    Those F1 guys never do anything cheaply,haha.

That depends on how you look at it. Did you see footage of the last hearing before the fine decision? Jean Todt showed up looking as disheveled as ever (I remember him looking a mess at last year's Ferrari-Panerai joint venture watch introduction) and chose to wear a button-down collar fit only for a rodeo. His necktie was apparently tied for him by a boy scout.

In contrast Ron Dennis looked very Savile Row (and also quite guilty...).

If the roles were reversed Ferrari would have almost certainly been fined but not banned IMO. It's a shame that all this clowning goes on and hits the airwaves since it degrades the sport, but then again Bernie can afford it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Fernando Alonso, Pedro de la Rosa, and Lewis Hamilton were given immunity in order to secure their testimonies. The correspondence between Alonso and de la Rosa was important to the case.

I'm sure $100M USD is a lot of money for anyone, and it certainly puts things in perspective in a world where there is still widespread famine, but McLaren Int. take in up to $500M annually and this isn't the first F1 scandal -- cheating has always been part of the sport, even though people don't like to think of it that way. So have complaints and deliberations and sanctions and so on.

That depends on how you look at it. Did you see footage of the last hearing before the fine decision? Jean Todt showed up looking as disheveled as ever (I remember him looking a mess at last year's Ferrari-Panerai joint venture watch introduction) and chose to wear a button-down collar fit only for a rodeo. His necktie was apparently tied for him by a boy scout.

In contrast Ron Dennis looked very Savile Row (and also quite guilty...).

If the roles were reversed Ferrari would have almost certainly been fined but not banned IMO. It's a shame that all this clowning goes on and hits the airwaves since it degrades the sport, but then again Bernie can afford it.
    I just read that story, makes sense then. Although Its obvious they were cheating I think some sort of punishment for the drivers was in order.
    I hear voices but all they do is complain

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourque77 View Post
    I just read that story, makes sense then. Although Its obvious they were cheating I think some sort of punishment for the drivers was in order.

I think the deal is done and driver testimony granted the trio immunity. I don't think the UK will see a huge increase in Alonso fan club members though, especially if the stories that Alonso tried to force Dennis to throttle back Hamilton -- if not lose Hamilton entirely -- in exchange for his silence. This is what may have prompted Dennis to go into the lion's den himself and talk to Mosley about what may have happened.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-14-2007 at 02:18 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I just heard about this while watching Speed. I think the whole situation is pretty shady. I personally can't stand how Ferrari pretty much runs Formula 1. It seems like if Ferrari isn't winning then there must be some cheating scandal behind it because Ferrari is obviously the greatest racing team the world has ever known. The Speed show that I was watching (can't remember the name) had some very telling quotes. When asked about how he would accept winning the constructors championship in such a way, Montezemolo replied that he would gladly accept it and felt that he deserved it. When asked about finishing second because of the circumstances, the BMW Sauber chief said that he wanted no part of it.
    The whole thing just stinks conspiracy.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.