killing Evo's/roadcoarse
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on killing Evo's/roadcoarse within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know that Evo's can outhandle WRX's, Because of there better weight balance But, is anybody spanking any Modified Evo's ...

killing Evo's/roadcoarse

I know that Evo's can outhandle WRX's, Because of there better weight balance But, is anybody spanking any Modified Evo's with modified WRX's, If so what setup are you running.
    Last edited by FLAT4AWD; 09-13-2007 at 08:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no one beats Evo's?
    Last edited by FLAT4AWD; 09-26-2007 at 05:22 PM.

I think you should look at your other thread on this subject.
    Understeer cause?

And Trainrex's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    The primary reason for the WRX understeer is the horrible ballasting and weight distribution. The motor sits almost entirely in front of the front wheels causing a horrible pendulum effect.

Certain mods will put a band aid on the problem, but never solve it. Once these band aids are installed, the car's balance is upset and it will become twitchy.

No matter what, the Evo will always handle better due to better ballasting and weight distribution.

In the racecar setup world, the WRX is a horrible failure.
    Granted it's a little harsh, but it's the accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by FLAT4AWD View Post
    I know that Evo's can outhandle WRX's, Because of there better weight balance But, is anybody spanking any Modified Evo's with modified WRX's, If so what setup are you running.
    You know when comparing the Evo to a Subaru, it's really best to use the STi in the comparison. The WRX just isn't up to it, unless highly modified.

Quote Originally Posted by FLAT4AWD View Post
    no one beats Evo's
    False. There are cars that can beat Evo's.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 09-26-2007 at 04:48 PM.

You're talking about beating evos on a road course. Ok, but who cares about evos? Your question just boils down to "how do I drop my lap times significantly?" since if you did that, you'd be passing most evos. The answer is the same. Get really sticky tires, do springs, shocks, sways and maybe lateral links and anti lift kit to control sticky tires. Get evo power (if you start with a wrx, you know, at least a stage 2). Make sure your braking is good enough. Done. If you want get a JDM bumper beam and lightweight battery to lose some weight up front.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

How much modification of the firewall and motor/tranny mounts,shortening of the drive shaft would it take to move the engine back 4" or so in a wrx/STI. I know the purpose built WRC has its engine set back some 4-6"s over our production vehicles for the purpose of weight distribution. Is this feasable? I know anything is possible with the right amount of money, but how involved would this process really be? even an inch or two would make a difference for sure. Or is this totally not possible due to front suspension geometry,etc?

You could do 1 or 2 inchs easily with motor mount modifications and a little quality time with a hammer. Although moving the entire motor/drivetrain would not be something you can do in a garage over the coarse of your weekends unless your garage is also a fabrication shop. There would be a lot of sheet metal fab. and construction of new mounts/cutting out/replacing old mounts. After that, its a race car, so you still have to think about a full cage and a fire system. No matter how you break it down you would need REALLY deep pockets and ton of knowledge. That said, if you really wanna build a race car, like the AWD "pocket rockets" and have the money to do it, buy an evo and start from there...
    2006 Mustang GT
    3.55's Manual
    Black and about to be Blown!

Quote Originally Posted by SHO_Guy View Post
    You could do 1 or 2 inchs easily with motor mount modifications and a little quality time with a hammer. Although moving the entire motor/drivetrain would not be something you can do in a garage over the coarse of your weekends unless your garage is also a fabrication shop. There would be a lot of sheet metal fab. and construction of new mounts/cutting out/replacing old mounts. After that, its a race car, so you still have to think about a full cage and a fire system. No matter how you break it down you would need REALLY deep pockets and ton of knowledge. That said, if you really wanna build a race car, like the AWD "pocket rockets" and have the money to do it, buy an evo and start from there...
    Yes,that is how I am looking at it. It seems like a great idea but a bit futile. These are not reasonable goals for a DD. If I ever decided to try this it would be on a salvaged title car and not my own and it would be a ongoing project which would eventually turn full out race car build..food for thought, but that is way down the line...nothing to tackle anytime soon. It would however be interesting to get that extra 2 inches and note the differences..

All you would need is some customer motor mounts and driveshaft. A lot of machine shops will make you a driveshaft if you bring them dimensions and yokes/your old drive shaft.
    2006 Mustang GT
    3.55's Manual
    Black and about to be Blown!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the EVO's weight distribution is 60:40, the WRX is 58:42, not a lot better, but better nonetheless- that isn't the key to out handling a EVO
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

What is the key to out-handling an EVO?
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    keys as in plural

first and foremost we're talking equal drivers, go to any track day around the country and you'll see good driver's in all kinds of lesser cars "kill" (this term sucks! IMO) all kinds of "greater" cars. If you want to "kill" EVO's or any other kind of car the best modification, bar none, is become a great driver.

in stock trim (given equal drivers) it's pretty obvious the EVO will come out on top- stickier tires, firmer suspension, more power, better brakes, the list goes on

the one advantage the WRX has going in is a slight weight advantage ~ 200 lbs give or take

if you took the time (and substantial $) to optimize tires/wheels, brakes, dampers, springs, sway bars, alignment, weight reduction, lsd (not the drug ) and power you would have an Impreza that would out handle a EVO. Of course nothing says a EVO owner can't start in and optimize his setup either

The saying "How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?" is a saying because it's true.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

kk this might be a little OT but here goes. If you have equal drivers and an STi and an EVO modded as equally as u can get *ie both have sways/struts/brakes/turbo swap etc.* of the same caliber, who would win? would the EVO still out handle the STi?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbleiweiss View Post
    kk this might be a little OT but here goes. If you have equal drivers and an STi and an EVO modded as equally as u can get *ie both have sways/struts/brakes/turbo swap etc.* of the same caliber, who would win? would the EVO still out handle the STi?
    Yes

aww.. *tear* if only the evo had better amenities lol and looked like the sti b/c i think it is very uggo lol

Driver is a huge part to this equation.... Everyone is always gets wrapped up in mods, but it really comes down to improving youself as a driver. Both cars have laps times that are very close. As for Sti's not being good race cars, they have won the T2 class in SCCA every year they have been entered.
    - Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.