WRC question.....

This is a discussion on WRC question..... within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was just wondering what makes sebastian loeb and marcus gronholm so good. They seem to dominate every rally and ...

WRC question.....

I was just wondering what makes sebastian loeb and marcus gronholm so good. They seem to dominate every rally and I would consider petter solberg one of the top drivers but he can't seem to win or even have a podium spot. Is this because of the cars are the focus and citroen c4 better then the sti or is it more of a driver difference?
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    its basically down to car reliability, if your car is 100% no mech issues etc you can focus on driving 100%.

if you have issues with your car then you cant focus 100% on getting the job done.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    its basically down to car reliability, if your car is 100% no mech issues etc you can focus on driving 100%.

if you have issues with your car then you cant focus 100% on getting the job done.
    which has been subaru's major problem through 2006 and most of 2007
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

You rarely see a Citroen with mechanical issues. So all Loeb has to do is drive clean (no mistakes) stages. Granted its not easy to do, but all of the top drivers are pretty close in ability (taking luck out of the equation) so car and setup are crucial. Marcus seems to have found a car suited to his style and has done well with Ford. IMO.
    An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an ‘Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order’ sign, just ‘Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.’ - Mitch Hedberg

I Support ClubWRX
    The reliability likely stems from the current platform slowly becoming more and more uncompetative, and thus engineering changes to make it more competitive are also making it more unreliable. A bit of vicious cycle. Hopefully, the new platform will resolve this and hopefully, Petter will still be with Subaru when this happens.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Banned
    <<<<Engineers for the win

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    The reliability likely stems from the current platform slowly becoming more and more uncompetative, and thus engineering changes to make it more competitive are also making it more unreliable. A bit of vicious cycle. Hopefully, the new platform will resolve this and hopefully, Petter will still be with Subaru when this happens.

Do you have any more details about that? I'm curious as to what aspect (engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc.) is causing the WRX to become uncompetitive.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    Do you have any more details about that? I'm curious as to what aspect (engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc.) is causing the WRX to become uncompetitive.

No details...just pure logic since changes to a WRC car are kept so close to the vest. The current platform used to be a winner. It now isn't. The other mfr's have had new models introduced and the current subaru model was no longer competitive. Drivers did not change. Cars did. Suddenly, the Subaru model was no longer reliable? And no longer competitive too? I don't think so. Something had to change. The other mfgrs stepping up their game forced Subaru to make some changes. It wasn't the driver, so what is left?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    No details...just pure logic since changes to a WRC car are kept so close to the vest. The current platform used to be a winner. It now isn't. The other mfr's have had new models introduced and the current subaru model was no longer competitive. Drivers did not change. Cars did. Suddenly, the Subaru model was no longer reliable? And no longer competitive too? I don't think so. Something had to change. The other mfgrs stepping up their game forced Subaru to make some changes. It wasn't the driver, so what is left?

So it was more of a matter that the other cars became more reliable/competitive rather than the Subie becoming less competitive?
    That's what puzzled me because I've always heard/known Subies to be reliable, tenacious and very robust.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Scoobies are robust n tough, just a combination of pure bad luck and mech errors or inefficiences have stopped Petter from been 100% commited.

I mean imagine yer flying down yer local roads in your own car and yer cel keeps flashing or the boost /power keeps differing when on the gas pedal, you'd end up backing off.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Scoobies are robust n tough, just a combination of pure bad luck and mech errors or inefficiences have stopped Petter from been 100% commited.

I mean imagine yer flying down yer local roads in your own car and yer cel keeps flashing or the boost /power keeps differing when on the gas pedal, you'd end up backing off.
    Oh I agree totally. Not to mention I'd be super pissed at the pit crew and more notably, STi for not ensuring the car was in running order.
    -Albert Einstein

-Ronald Reagan

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    I say Petter should do a thorough search of the car to find where someone painted a #13 or #666 on it.

since Chris's WRC Scooby seems to be fine !

oh noes "A Conspiracy"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    heh...I sometimes wonder about this too. Maybe it is a combination of the other cars being so much quicker that Petter is having to drive that much harder and this, either overdriving (as seems to be happening a lot) or breaking (also seems to be happening a lot). Chris has been semi-competitive, but not enough to be a true threat. Maybe the level of punishment is showing up by which has the most failures? It is hard to discuss this without actualy being there and driving ourselves though.

My firm belief (and hope) is that the new platform will resolve a lot of issues. If anything, it will help to isolate the "true" issues.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!