Getting started in Time Attack

This is a discussion on Getting started in Time Attack within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I currently compete in auto x but I want to start getting on the bigger track. I want to get ...

Getting started in Time Attack

I currently compete in auto x but I want to start getting on the bigger track. I want to get involved with time attack events but I don't know where to get started. I live in louisville kentucky. Do you guys have any suggestions for what I need to do to get started so I can run on the bigger tracks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

for the past coupple day i have been looking into the same thing over on nasioc and from what i have learned is tracking a subaru will be way more expensive and to try to get a miata and race that because they are lighter better balanced and cheap
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

guido the red
    bug eye mafia for life

Well My car is just about built for it already. All I need is a 35r turbo, roll cage, and maybe a body kit and some carbon fiber panels for weight.

To tell you the truth I just want to have fun and dont really care about winning.

I Support ClubWRX
    Look around at your local tracks and try to find track events or clubs where you can participate and learn the road driving. Big difference over auto-x. Used to auto-x until my first track event, then realized track days are WAAAAAAY more thrilling. Also last a lot longer. I always hated the all day waiting for the 3 or 4 thirty second to a minute runs. Just a let down imho.

Recommendation: Drive it as it is now before you go 35R. A stage 2 setup is pretty good for a track day, assuming you have good suspension/brakes/tires. Brakes are key here...so don't scrimp. The stock rotors do fine with some ss lines, motul fluid and some Ferodo 2500S pads.

Believe it or not, the OEM tires are actually a good track tire too. You get good life out of them, are not all that costly and they are pretty sticky. Not slicks for sure, but I would match them up with a lot of other tires out there. PS...through away everything you've learned about a "good" tire from Auto-x. Doesn't apply for a long track. The heat cycling and transistions will totally change the characteristics.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Do tracks require a roll cage for events? My street tires are falken rt 615 and auto x tires are hoosier a6.

I Support ClubWRX
    No, you just have to pass a safety inspection. Basically, legal helment (snell 5 if I remember) a tight belt (harness is preferred but not required), tires and brakes in good condition, and no loose objects in the car. Oh...and the windows have to be able to be rolled down.

Those hoosiers will do great on a track, depending on the number of heat cycles they've already been subjected to.

Take her out before the end of summer!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums