Have you ever owned a homoligated WRC car? 56K horror~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Have you ever owned a homoligated WRC car? 56K horror~ within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just curious as to how many have. Here's some pictures of mine. The pix suck, because I basically had to ...

I Support ClubWRX

Have you ever owned a homoligated WRC car? 56K horror~

Just curious as to how many have. Here's some pictures of mine. The pix suck, because I basically had to take a digi photos of a 35mm prints...
    At any rate, it's my old 1983 Audi Ur Quattro (the original Turbo Quattro Coupe / TQC)
    I sure miss this car.

some history on the UrQ:

It is considered one of the most significant rally cars of all time, and was one of the first to take advantage of the then-recently changed rules which allowed the use of all-wheel-drive in competition racing. Many critics doubted the viability of all-wheel drive racers, thinking them to be too heavy and complex, yet the Quattro was an instant success, winning a rally on its first outing. It won competition after competition for the next two years.

The Audi Quattro shared many components and the core of its body style with the Audi Coupé, which was a member of the Audi 80 (B2 model) range.

Officially, the model name was simply "Quattro", although the graphics on the car, confusingly, refer to the four-wheel drive system and use a lowercase "q". The word "quattro" with the lowercase "q" is used to refer to either the Audi AWD system, or any AWD version of an Audi automobile. To avoid confusion, it is also commonly referred to as the Ur-Quattro (the "Ur-" prefix is a German augmentative used, in this case, to mean "original" and is also applied to the first generation of Audi's S4 and S6 sport sedans, as in "UrS4" and "UrS6").

Adding further complexity to the issue is the fact that, within the last decade, Audi has retroactively changed all references to the model to lowercase (as can be seen on the official website's historical gallery), to match its current branding scheme and copyright. While Audi now states that "quattro" must always be written fully in the lower case, all original documentation, promotional materials and press released during the model's actual production period use the uppercase format, which is still the usage of choice for hobbyists and writers not affiliated with Audi.

European distribution
    Audi released the original Quattro in 1980, making it both the first car to feature Audi's quattro four-wheel drive system (hence its name) and the first to mate four wheel drive with a turbocharged engine.

The powerplant was originally a 2.1 L (2144 cc), SOHC, 10 valve straight-5 producing 203 PS (149 kW); this was eventually modified to a 2.2 L (2226 cc) 10 valve straight-5 and then to a 2.2 L (2226 cc) 20v DOHC straight-5 setup producing 223 PS (164 kW). Audi Quattros are often referred to among owners and enthusiasts by their engine codes, to differentiate between the earlier and later versions: the earliest (2144 cc 10v) being the WR engine, the 2226 cc 10v being the MB engine and the later 20v being the RR engine. Hence, Quattro models may be referred to as either the WR Quattro, MB Quattro, and RR or "20v" Quattro, respectively.

Total road car production is 11,452 vehicles over the period 1980–1991 and through this 11 year production span there were no major changes in the visual design of the vehicle. For the 1983 model-year the dash was switched from an analog instrument cluster to a green digital LCD display (later changed for 1988 to an orange LCD display). The interior was redesigned in 1985 and featured a whole new dash layout, new steering wheel design and new centre console design, the switches around the instrument panel were also redesigned at this time.

Externally, overall styling received very little modification during its production run. Originally, the car had a flat fronted grill featuring four separate lenses, one for each of the low and high beam units. This was altered for the 1983 model year and replaced with combined units featuring a single lens, but housing twin reflectors. This was changed again, for the 1985 model year, in what has become known as the 'facelift model' and included such alterations as a new sloping front grill, headlights, and trim and badging changes. The RR 20v Quattro also featured a new three spoke steering wheel design.

North American distribution
    Sales of the Quattro in North America began with the 1983 model year, which were constructed concurrently, and were of the same design as, the European 1982 models (they did not include the minor cosmetic changes of the European 1983 model) and continued through 1986. Total sales in the USA were 664.

The initial 2.1 L (2144 cc, engine code "WX") engine for US models included minor component and ECU changes, including lowered turbocharger boost pressure, which lowered power production to 172 PS (127 kW).
    Last edited by Rogan; 09-07-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Ibsd_gr.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I must say bchslap, you have and have had some amazing cars in your collection. Bravo sir!
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    thank you. there are quite a few that I wish I still had this being one..
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Ibsd_gr.

Just wondering, do you remember the cost? approx.
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Steven Wright

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Group B FTW

Bchslap that is a cool whip

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    cool whip
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y51Pv4JT6uY

Thanks, sonic ^^^ classic clip, ftw

WRX, I really can't remember.. I wanna say, like, 30k$? I really don't remember, it's been sooo long ago..
    Rogan o_0

Nice Ride!!
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks..
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Ibsd_gr.
    +1
    Very nice Rick!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Fun car, but a mechanics nightmare. I still get the willys when looking at one.

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks J..

TR, I never really had any issues with it, except for rear tie-rod ends.. the bigger problem with the tie-rod ends was the $250 /ea pricetag.. lol
    Well, that, and the vac. pump seal on the block taking a poopsy every now and then..
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Anyone (Rick) ever heard of tiffany teen?

Warning: Google image search WILL return NWS material...

Rick's avatar what?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Anyone (Rick) ever heard of tiffany teen?

Warning: Google image search WILL return NWS material...

Rick's avatar what? <-- spy vs. spy
    I've been outed!
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a fantastic car, it changed history. Those bumpers look wild too. It was so far beyond what anyone else was doing at the time, it made at least two cars become stillborn - both Ford and Mitsubishi scrapped projects as a result since they would have been eclipsed even at launch. Good for you to have owned a piece of history. One of my dream cars back then!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast