US Nationals

This is a discussion on US Nationals within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Don't forget the US Nationals are on ESPN2 today and tomorrow for anyone into dragracing....

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

US Nationals

Don't forget the US Nationals are on ESPN2 today and tomorrow for anyone into dragracing.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Drag racing?

I Support ClubWRX
    It was sweet to see Connelly win pro stock.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

It was great to see Stevie making Cagnazzi power greater than the Beryllium twins.
    Don't really know Dave. Never met him. Seems like a good guy. I wonder when Dave will get to head back in the IHRA?
    http://www.ihra.com/competition/suspensionlist.htm
    Last edited by Wannabe; 09-05-2007 at 11:37 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    It was great to see Stevie making Cagnazzi power greater than the Beryllium twins.
    Don't really know Dave. Never met him. Seems like a good guy. I wonder when Dave will get to head back in the IHRA?
    http://www.ihra.com/competition/suspensionlist.htm
    What the hell is up with that? dave and his dad raced at Norwalk for years,real nice guys.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    It was sweet to see Connelly win pro stock.
    Yeah it was!. I used to like the other guy when he crewed for Warren.
    Since he's (Anderson) been dominating, something about him rubs me wrong. Maybe I'm jealous! Almost want a "anybody but Greg" tee.
    Do You Solo2?

#1- The more I learn about Greg, the more I dislike the man. Mark Pawuk was an acquaintance of mine. I really like him allot. Liked the way he treated everyone, including his family. Gave Greg his first real shot at driving. Let him take his back up car and run it. If I remember, gave him his first NHRA win. Greg saw it as an opportunity. Took the man with the Summit connections over to his new camp. Same with George Marnell. Took Ken Black away from him with his daddys used car lingo and now had the $$ to do what he wanted. Heck, even before that he married Humpries daughter when he was running pro stock. Thought that would get him in.
    Then when I learn about 88 degree blocks, winning championships with traction control boxes, electronic real time data shocks, and the other junk, it makes me feel like I am watching Barry Bonds. If ya gotta cheat to do it, then it ain't no victory at all.

#2- The Bullet motorsports thing has my head spinning. (Let me interject by stating that I do not know how much say Dave had in all of this, he was young at the time.) But anyway. They have some questionable electronics in their cars, and are winning everything. Word gets out that they have a box that is essentially a down track timer that is readable by the driver that can be adjusted down track to run the perfect run every time. They get demanded to be torn down at a big race. Instead they pack up and leave without being torn down. (Although only some of the people from this crew were there that night, it is a generalization of what will be later called the "dirty dozen".) Talks, arguments, threats back and forth, etc. But then the one that has me stumped. After all this, the Bullet motorsports (Dave, Ray Connelly, etc.) homepage advertises that box on its front page. Tells how it works, how to hide it and the price. Right next to the 'add to cart' kinda deal. I don't know why they would do that. Maybe a stand of some sort. For those of us that were not there, it removed some of the doubt that they were guilty. Oh yeah, and the indefinite suspension, and the move over to the NHRA.
    I purchased a car a little while after that. Rumor had it that it was one of the cars with that system. When it arrived, it seemed to have had that box. I looked at the wiring and was astounded. This was no race car. This was a cheating big dollar bracket machine. Just for the sake of it, we tore out all of the wiring, electronics, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    Anytime someone starts dominating in the prostock class,I do start to wonder,interesting observations,Wannabe.I remember Pawuk from his days as a starting bracket racer at Dragway 42 and Thompson here in ohio.He was always an excellent drag racer,used to win quite a bit. I remember when he wrecked a progas(9.90 car) at Thompson many moons ago.His parents always supported him in the beginning. I was kind of surprised he didn't do better in Pro Stock,altough when he had Maskin engines he was pretty decent. My brother really can't stand Anderson,wait till I tell him about the Summit deal.
    Bugeye Mafia #337

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    #1- The more I learn about Greg, the more I dislike the man. Mark Pawuk was an acquaintance of mine. I really like him allot. Liked the way he treated everyone, including his family. Gave Greg his first real shot at driving. Let him take his back up car and run it. If I remember, gave him his first NHRA win. Greg saw it as an opportunity. Took the man with the Summit connections over to his new camp. Same with George Marnell. Took Ken Black away from him with his daddys used car lingo and now had the $$ to do what he wanted. Heck, even before that he married Humpries daughter when he was running pro stock. Thought that would get him in.
    Then when I learn about 88 degree blocks, winning championships with traction control boxes, electronic real time data shocks, and the other junk, it makes me feel like I am watching Barry Bonds. If ya gotta cheat to do it, then it ain't no victory at all.

#2- The Bullet motorsports thing has my head spinning. (Let me interject by stating that I do not know how much say Dave had in all of this, he was young at the time.) But anyway. They have some questionable electronics in their cars, and are winning everything. Word gets out that they have a box that is essentially a down track timer that is readable by the driver that can be adjusted down track to run the perfect run every time. They get demanded to be torn down at a big race. Instead they pack up and leave without being torn down. (Although only some of the people from this crew were there that night, it is a generalization of what will be later called the "dirty dozen".) Talks, arguments, threats back and forth, etc. But then the one that has me stumped. After all this, the Bullet motorsports (Dave, Ray Connelly, etc.) homepage advertises that box on its front page. Tells how it works, how to hide it and the price. Right next to the 'add to cart' kinda deal. I don't know why they would do that. Maybe a stand of some sort. For those of us that were not there, it removed some of the doubt that they were guilty. Oh yeah, and the indefinite suspension, and the move over to the NHRA.
    I purchased a car a little while after that. Rumor had it that it was one of the cars with that system. When it arrived, it seemed to have had that box. I looked at the wiring and was astounded. This was no race car. This was a cheating big dollar bracket machine. Just for the sake of it, we tore out all of the wiring, electronics, etc.

Interesting....why hasn't NHRA shut this down?
    Do You Solo2?

Something we learned back in the nitrous days of the NHRA. When good money is coming their way, they slap you on the hand and say- "Don't bring that stuff back." Then when you bring it back somewhere else, they say "Don't bring that stuff back." But when there is a name on the side of the car that supports the NHRA, you will not see fines, suspensions, or any of that. They will not risk offending someone who brings them money in. It does not matter if it is above or below the table.
    In Phoenix when NHRA cut the wires to the Summit cars shocks before the last qualifying pass, neither car could get out of first gear. The NHRA said to them "These will be gone by Gainesville." So much for the $104,000 two rear shock set-up. (Time to go testing something else.) Then a while later there will be a rule in the rulebook stating something of the sort. Look at the rulebook over the last few seasons. 90 degree blocks- Beryllium twins. Lines going to the carburetors- More Team KB stuff. What lines can be touched out of the ignition box- More Team Summit traction control. Were they breaking the rules? YES! Did they win championships with traction control? YES! But Summit sponsors quite a bit in the NHRA.
    I had a really scary talk with a man who wishes to go un-named. He was a major sponsor on the side of a pro car with illegal "stuff". I don't remember the numbers exactly, but they were caught with 'that stuff' something like three times in seven races. Every time a hand slap and "Don't bring that stuff back." Then "Something" happened and they could no longer hide it. Then the suspension came. "We are going to be tough on cheaters!"
    But even when they do give a racer a suspension for cheating, they don't tell a soul. The racer takes a year off to do this or that. Business, family, whatever. Then they come back. You have just seen their suspension, and all of their punishment.
    You have to think "Boss Hogg" when thinking of NHRA politics.
    Be good- be safe- and be legal.