"high speed" autox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on "high speed" autox within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my search abilities fail me, but sometime ago (in a universe far, far away) we had a thread on "high ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

"high speed" autox

my search abilities fail me, but sometime ago (in a universe far, far away) we had a thread on "high speed" autox's (if someones finds it please link it )

I got to attend another a weekend ago, to say the least these are very fun. They are not w/o risk, thus SCCA's recommendation to keep Solo events @ 65mph and under. SCCA does have a new "option" a faster autox format (w/ more safety equipment required) that allows speeds up to 95 mph (same SOLO classing). There were a couple of minor offs (automatic DNF for that run), one that was probably a little more than minor- no injuries, but broke two tire beads on one side of the car., but all in all laid out nicely so you could push the car prety hard.

here's the site- the left side (infeild) had a somewhat traditional autox start/finish setup here- much of the remainder of the track was left as is- the long straight had some offsets and some slaloms in in it to scrub some speed. I was into 3rd gear twice in the course (2nd tops out at ~ 70 mph), probably in the 85-90ish mph range (never looked down )

a nice way to get a track day like feel w/o having to go full out
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Me likey. I hope our region can get something like that put together sometime.
    ~Selah

That sounds like a lot of fun! Too bad I can't think of any kind of facility in my region that has enough space for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Business810 View Post
    That sounds like a lot of fun! Too bad I can't think of any kind of facility in my region that has enough space for something like that.
    I suggested holding these types of events to our region and it seemed to have lots of interest. Our issue is the same though, no place to hold the event.

I know at Englishtown Raceway Park in NJ, they have been working on a road course for sometime now. They say it should be ready by the end of this year. I don't know if they will be having Auto-x events there. From the looks of it, it seems like a highly technical course. This may just be OT, sorry about that.

http://www.etownraceway.com/main/roadcourse/index.htm

there are some non SCCA events at giants stadium. i don't know if its saying much because of their gearing but STI's are hitting 3rd gear.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

being a n00b at autoX's i think i'll stick to speeds under 65mph at least until i can afford a new car

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah- we're certainly lucky to have this site- I wish it was a little closer- 400 miles one way

there were a couple of STi's- I think they may have been hitting 4th gear

the "major" off was an Audi TT (young son- 18ish??? co-driving)- I thought for sure it was destined to be on a flat bed- the got the tires re-beaded and the Dad still got his last run in- amazingly it didn't appear to have anything bent- visiting w/ them it sounds like the son was getting out of shape on the big slalom (long straight away) and he panicked a bit and lifted- he learned the hard way what happens when you lift w/ the rear end stepping out w/ AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    yeah- we're certainly lucky to have this site- I wish it was a little closer- 400 miles one way

there were a couple of STi's- I think they may have been hitting 4th gear

the "major" off was an Audi TT (young son- 18ish??? co-driving)- I thought for sure it was destined to be on a flat bed- the got the tires re-beaded and the Dad still got his last run in- amazingly it didn't appear to have anything bent- visiting w/ them it sounds like the son was getting out of shape on the big slalom (long straight away) and he panicked a bit and lifted- he learned the hard way what happens when you lift w/ the rear end stepping out w/ AWD
    ouch

400 Miles??!? That is no where remotely close in my book, but then just about every major city in the north east is within 400 miles for me.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to Montana we drive 150 miles (one way) to go shopping

700 miles (one way) to visit relatives and still in the same state- just a short jaunt

welcome to Montana we drive 150 miles (one way) to go shopping

700 miles (one way) to visit relatives and still in the same state- just a short jaunt
    sorry to hijack, but what exactly brings someone to such a place???

I Support ClubWRX
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    F U N.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post

well it's definitely not the weather- cause it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter- spring and fall are very nice however

it's definitely not because anything is close, because it's not

but it is a beautiful state- top to bottom, east to west- and if you don't like putting up w/ crowds- no worries there either

I Support ClubWRX
    this is from our Divisional a couple weekends ago, not my car, but you gives you a little idea on speed (also about a two minute course )

coming out of the bigger sweeper on the back end of the course and into the chicane they have setup speeds are in the 90mph range

YouTube - NorPac Divisional Helena '08 Sat

watch full screen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast