Seat Positioning

This is a discussion on Seat Positioning within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think I'm confused because theres so many variables. Iv heard its best to not 'gangster lean' when driving your ...

Seat Positioning

I think I'm confused because theres so many variables. Iv heard its best to not 'gangster lean' when driving your car vigorously. Such as, seat up and forward. How far forward? I'm 6'3" but I have to bring the driver seat about 2 inches forward from all the way back to get a good push on the clutch in my 04 STi.

I normally drive with my seat lowered all the way. Iv read that you should be as far as practical forward, seat raised, seat back up and steering wheel down all the way in between your legs. Not exactly comfortable, but it does seem to keep me planted in my seat better, and I get a better grasp on shifts cause I'm over the top of them.

So I need help guys. Your all probably laughing because you just get in and know how its done without thinking about it, but I have seriously tried about 5 different positions, and I don't want the 'what feels best' answer. Some serious pointers would be great. Thanks!
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    2001 Toyota Celica GT-S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

When I autoX I move the seat one notch forward of where I have it for normal driving. I like to be close where I have a good bend in my arms, but still some room for my legs and feet to do their thing.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I'm 6' 3'' about 190. Seat all the way back, all the way down, seatback relatively upright, steering wheel all the way down. Feels good for drives less than 45 min. Anything longer and I'm suffering. I have tried all kinds of combos with the seat and I have yet to find anything that won't induce back trauma after a prolonged drive. Not sure what seats went into the 04 stis, I just don't think the blobeye wrx seats were designed with skinny folks in mind.
    ~Selah

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    When I autoX I move the seat one notch forward of where I have it for normal driving. I like to be close where I have a good bend in my arms, but still some room for my legs and feet to do their thing.
    Im pretty much the same. one notch forward on the seatbase, and one click more vertical in the back.
    As for daily commuting (2hrs each way), it took me a month to find a position in my 02 that was somewhat comfy..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Generally, I move my seat so that my knee is slightly bent with the clutch all the way to the floor, which means I'm closer than normal to the gas/brake pedals. I adjust the back of the seat so that I can rest my wrists on the top of the wheel and let my hands hang over. That allows full range of motion on the wheel with your shoulders planted in the seat, and lets the seat hold you in place, so you can focus on driving. My position feels close to the wheel, but it seems to work and I see a lot of people who drive this way. Obviously, experiment and see what works, I know a guy who drives with one hand and has a non-adjustable seat that's set far from the controls, and he does well.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

6'4" and about 210 lbs. autoX noob.
    Daily driving, I have the seat bottom about 1/2 up through its range. I am back so that my hands rest at about 3:30 and 8:30 with a slight arm bend. Comfortable with both hands or one.

AutoX, I have to lower the seat bottom so that my fat head will fit with a helmet on. I move the seat back one knotch more upright and slide the seat forward a little so that my arms are bent, maybe 135 degrees... .more than is generally comfortable for long drives. I find that if I am to far back, two things happen. First, it pulls my shoulders away from the seat back and I end up getting moved around in the seat a lot more. Second, the further your hands are from your shoulders the harder it is to move them quickly and accurately. If you get to close, you cramp you movement, but, if you're to far away from the wheel, you'll have trouble moving the wheel quickly.

Every one is shaped a little differently. You'll have to play around with your seats a little to figure out what works for you. Generally, more upright and a little closer to the wheel works for me.

Check any professional race and you'll see the drivers pretty much upright with their arms bent.

Also, if you have not put on a helmet and sat in the car, do it before your first run. The helmet changes a lot of stuff. You can't hear the car (motor or tires on the ground) nearly as well. Also, if you're nearly as tall as me, you'll not be able to raise the seat bottom much before the helmet hits the ceiling. Bumping you head while you're driving complicates things.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Banned
    im 6'7 .. i like to sit up in the car and raise seat up .. i use to be real close to the wheel wit my legs but people would be like thats not good if u have to jam brakes real fast it takes too long so i moved it back to comfortable position

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a click or two closer chasing cones or going around a track vs day to day driving, have always prefered a straight up seat- even for long trips.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._seating.shtml
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Banned
    'gangster lean' FTW