Wheels to keep my '05 WRX in Stock class
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wheels to keep my '05 WRX in Stock class within the Motorsports Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think the subject pretty much says it all but I am slightly confused as to what wheels I'm allowed ...

Wheels to keep my '05 WRX in Stock class

I think the subject pretty much says it all but I am slightly confused as to what wheels I'm allowed to use and stay in stock class for SCCA. Right now my WRX has the default 16"x6.5" wheels. However in my manual it looks like there was a 17"x7" dealer option wheel, the BBS RGR wheels I assume. On the very last page of the manual, the "Gas Station Reference," is where this is located.

My car obviously did not come with the 17"x7" wheels so would I still be allowed to purchase any 17"x7" wheel and stay in stock or do I have to stick with 16"x6.5" since that's what my car came with?

I'd like to do the summer/winter wheel/tire thing but want to make sure whatever wheels I get won't be a waste of money and wind up knocking me into a higher SCCA class where I will surely get spanked.

Thank you for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    According to SCCA rules, your wheel size has to be a factory option to stay in the stock class. Unfortunately, dealer installed does not equal factory option. Unless someone w/ more experience disagrees, I would say you need to stick w/ a 16X6.5.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff View Post
    I would say you need to stick w/ a 16X6.5.
    True, unfortunately.

Ah, bummer. Well, thanks for the input guys, saves me money at least since I'll just hunt down some stock Subaru/WRX wheels for my winter set.

I would say this:

Unless you plan on buying r-comp tires for stock class you're not going to remotely close to competitive anyway. Also to be competitive you would need a giant from swaybar and some koni inserts.

If you don't intend to do all that, just run in STX and get beat up there and not worry about what size your wheels are.

Either way, it's all mostly the driver anyway. Just get out there, have fun and learn to drive better!
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    If you don't intend to do all that, just run in STX and get beat up there and not worry about what size your wheels are.
    JR has seen me do this, and it is not pretty. It is however fun.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    I would say this:

Unless you plan on buying r-comp tires for stock class you're not going to remotely close to competitive anyway. Also to be competitive you would need a giant from swaybar and some koni inserts.
    I was under the impression I really couldn't touch the suspension but after re-reading the rules yet again I can apparently use whatever front sway bar I want. As far as the suspension, it sounds like I can use different shocks/struts so long as they don't directly account for my suspension geometry or alignment.

I'm still confused on ride height though: It says my springs cannot be cut, shortened, or compressed but if I achieve an alternate ride height through shocks alone with the factory springs, I'm ok.

Concerning R-comps, I didn't realize people actually used those in stock class. I guess it depends where you are too. However right now, with the registration deadline less than 24 hours away, there are only 14 people registered for the next Ohio Valley Region, and none are in D Stock, which is where my WRX would land I believe. Would that mean I'd win the class by default, assuming I don't DQ, and then just get my times ranked among everyone in the end?

Lots of newbie questions, I know, I think I'd be best served if I at least stopped by the event this Saturday and asked all my questions.

Thanks again for the responses, great WRX forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrumbles View Post
    Thanks again for the responses, great WRX forum.
    Thanks.

Yeah, you can change a few things like front swaybar and dampers. Your WRX would be in DS. In the stock classes you can run r-comp tires. That doesn't mean that you have to only that you can. Another thing to think about is that an '06 WRX is also in DS. This means that with the 2.5L motor and the 17" wheels you will have a snowball's chance in hell against one. If you just want to have fun an enjoy yourself good enough.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.