What do i need to know if i want to run at a track - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What do i need to know if i want to run at a track within the Motorsport Stickies forums, part of the Motorsports Talk category; your gonna spin your tires while your staging with an awd car?good luck with that....

your gonna spin your tires while your staging with an awd car?good luck with that.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-Rooo View Post
    newb question, but why wouldnt you want to spin your tires, i can understand going around the water but why would you not spin your tires doesnt it warm them up. Thanks
    SR
    With 2wd, you only have two tires spinning on launch, so you need to spin tires to heat them up so they have traction on the launch (assuming drag tires of some type). Think of it like melting rubber and then letting it harden until it sticks to the road..this is how you get a good launch with 2wd.

With AWD, you have 4 tires spinning on launch with a better weight distribution too. You don't need to spin the tires prior to launch to heat them up as 1) you don't want the tires to stick as you'll likely break something if they do
    and 2) the AWD gives plenty of traction when spinning off a launch so there really is no need. Anytime you can achieve less than 1.9 60 foot times on street tires, you are doing fine.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

We have done LOTS of testing and found that doing a burnout on street radial tires will give you less traction than if you drove around the water. The typical compounds for street tires make less traction when heated up to the point of a burnout. My tires get to 700+ degrees on my typical burnout.
    If you want to get a touch of warmpth, and have the best traction possible, drive around, then back up 10 or 15 feet away from the water and give it one little dry hop launch just to clean the tires off. That is all that is needed.
    Last edited by Wannabe; 12-05-2006 at 09:21 AM.

okay, so no burn out becuase the traction is not needed, or just a little quick hop spin to clean/dry them. got ya

SR

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Thanks Guys really helps. My freinds and I are going to make a trip down to englishtown when it opens up. I will show all of them this thread because it is very informative.

Once again thanks!
    Tom
    PM me - I'll go with you on a weekend if you want. I've only gone to run my car twice, but my friend Mike goes alot - I'm sure he'd be interested in going.

Pricing is available on the website http://www.racewaypark.com/
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

my local track says you need a snell 95 or better if you run faster than a 13.99, i have a dirtbike helmet with a snell 95, does it matter? does it need to be a street helmet?
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12