Official: Subaru pulling out of WRC tomorrow (Dec 16th 2008) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Official: Subaru pulling out of WRC tomorrow (Dec 16th 2008) within the Motorsport Stickies forums, part of the Motorsports Talk category; ^ that's close...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ that's close

"Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    David Richards, the chairman of Prodrive, says there was no warning given that Subaru was planning to pull the plug on its World Rally Championship programme.

The Japanese manufacturer revealed yesterday [Tuesday] that it was quitting the sport with immediate effect, following in the footsteps of Suzuki which announced its departure 24 hours earlier.

The fact that paperwork for the 2009 entry is believed to have been lodged with the FIA is an indication of how quickly things turned sour for Subaru, a brand that has become synonymous with rallying, and Richards admitted that it had come as a shock to be told the programme was ending.

“We had no warning,” he told Britain's Times newspaper. “But what can we do? This is the credit crunch again and it seems Subaru felt exposed after Honda left Formula One and could not justify having a world rally team.

“The pressure for car companies to cut all discretionary spending must be immense, but there is now a danger that companies are throwing the baby out with the bath water. Subaru have forgotten how their brand image was built.”

Despite the decision taken by Subaru's parent company Fuji Heavy Industries, the manufacturer is set to be represented in 2009 with the Adapta team having announced that it will continue with plans to run an Impreza WRC2008 next year.

Indeed, Subaru themselves have refused to rule out the possibility of a return to the WRC in future although FHI president Ikuo Mori warned people not to assume that it would happen further down the line.

“We have achieved our initial objective to improve the brand recognition,” he told a Tokyo press conference. “Given the unprecedented economic situation deterioration, it was necessary to review our investments. These are the main reasons.

“Reaching the decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least because of the countless Subaru fans that have supported our cars for so many years. We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

David Richards admits he was as shocked as anyone when Subaru elected to quit the WRC, although manufacturer refuses to rule out return.

“If we can be allowed, we want to continue - especially for the fans. The possibility of a Subaru car back in the top category of WRC in the future is not zero, however for this moment there can be no assumption of a comeback."

Crash.net David Richards No Warning on Subaru pull-out
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 12-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    there was an interesting editorial in Grassroots Motorsports talking about the economy downturn and racing. very interesting read- talked about the racing scene during the Great Depression and even during World War War II- it can/will certainly change, but it's not going to go away
    Do you have a link to this editorial? It sounds like an interesting read.
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

there will be no more need for the wrx in a few years in my opinion...after all, arent the wrx and the sti rally inspired?

Quote Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
    there will be no more need for the wrx in a few years in my opinion...after all, arent the wrx and the sti rally inspired?
    Don't worry there names will live on in the Retail World.

Hopefully, in a couple of years when the economy has righted itself, Subaru will get back in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    ^ that's approximately correct

LMP1 and P2- I think it's safe to say Porsche will still be quite active in GT2

there was an interesting editorial in Grassroots Motorsports talking about the economy downturn and racing. very interesting read- talked about the racing scene during the Great Depression and even during World War War II- it can/will certainly change, but it's not going to go away
    I was thinking about that on the drive in this morning. Thing is, racing gained momentum during that time because the technology was new and racing was relatively grassroots and cheap.

Today, the expenses have gone through the roof, so who is to say it won't be hurt for good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more OEM's pull out of NASCAR next year.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
    I just got a court summons in the mail from Subaru demanding the immediate return of my WRX for disposal.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    And Honda is pulling out of F1, I hear...
    I own a Honda, I've followed F1 since 1982 or so, I remember them then and I know what they've "accomplished" now. Their money is better spent elsewhere -- even as simply a motor supplier, for example. Their works F1 team was initially thought to be a disaster, until people began to realise it's much worse.

As for Subaru, although their recent image among the young may be connected to rallying, their overall corporate image was built, and is still based upon, snow belt utilitarians, weekend warrior hipsters with a taste for sensible shoes, and well-meaning goofballs that can't afford or won't buy a Saab. They'll still sell cars in the US, and they'll still sell the same types of cars they've been selling in general. They won't break sales records, but nobody will and every day can't be Christmas.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    weekend warrior hipsters with a taste for sensible shoes,
    You had me at sensible shoes.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    As for Subaru, although their recent image among the young may be connected to rallying, their overall corporate image was built, and is still based upon, snow belt utilitarians, weekend warrior hipsters with a taste for sensible shoes, and well-meaning goofballs that can't afford or won't buy a Saab.

You forgot teh beefy lesbians in the outback.
    ~Selah

Does this mean we have to put bumperstickers on our cars now?

at least theres 2 or 3 Subies running for a private team. So we wont miss Subaru action but sadly swrt had to go:/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.