WTB: One RE-92 with at least 60% tread
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WTB: One RE-92 with at least 60% tread within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; hey, looks like one of my tires is mysteriously leaking. took it to a shop today and the guy there ...

WTB: One RE-92 with at least 60% tread

hey,
    looks like one of my tires is mysteriously leaking. took it to a shop today and the guy there really took care of me. he repatched a plug, replaced the valvestem, and remounted and balanced it for me... however, it still seems to be losing air. i have no idea what it is and neither does he, but at this point i'm looking to replace the tire if i can.
    my tires have 80% tread probably so ideally i'd want something in that range. i also cant justify spending much on it at all. if someone has one they'd like to exchange for a 12 pack or something please let me know. if i dont find anything i guess i'll just fill it up weekly for the next month then switch to my summer set. i'm in langhorne, pa by the way.
    thanks,
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've repaired to many tires in my day to let someone like you do something like this.

A few questoins

Did your tire guy see any oxidation (sp) around the rim. The alum. wheels build up CRAP between the bead of the tire and the wheel and tend to leak. An easy way to detect this is take the tire off...lay it flat...and with a hose put water on the lip of the wheel where the tire meets it. You will see very faint "crap" bubbles around the rim (check front and rear of rim)

The second is the dreaded sticker. Most tire companys put stickers around the bead of the tire where it meets the rim. Once in awhile one of those little bad boys will start to leak. You can detect this the same way. Lay it flat (I like the use a handle held shop light) and look around the edge. Dont go quick but take your time. Take the tire back if you see anything and tell him the take a SMALL screwdriver and GENTLY remove the sticker. Dont go killer on it cause you'll go through the bead.

If it's the first problem take some high grit grinding pad and a wheel and just "clean up" the rim. Make sure it's clean all the way around it.

If neither of these method work (you'll be able to tell if you dont see any FINE bubbles around the rim/bead) then I'd say there is another pin hole in it. Sorry I dont have any re-92's to offer but i hope this helps.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

that does help, thanks for the reply.

i filled the tire up to 36 psi and 12 hours later it was at 22psi. it stayed at 20ish for the next day and a half till i brought it to the tire shop. this is kind of interesting in itself.
    he dunked the tire to try and find leaks, but i dont think he added any air to it, so it may have still been sitting at 20ish psi. if thats the case maybe putting 40 psi in it would have shown a new hole.
    i'd really like to just fix this tire and not have to deal with getting a new one, so i will check it out tomorrow to see how much air is in it still and i'll call the tire repair shop back. i'm sure they'll take another look at it if i can make an argument as to why they should do so.

thanks again,
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

well... i measured shortly after he put the tire back on and it read 33psi (i asked for 36 but maybe our gauges are different). a few hours later i measured again and it was at about 30psi. that had me concerned...
    however i just measured again just now--about 24 hours later--and its still at 30psi. its possible that the air he put into the tire was warm air and therefore read a little higher compared to a cold tire (its 25 degrees outside). so i'm crossing my fingers that the pressure dropped a little because the temperature could have dropped, but im' still skeptical. i'll be keeping an eye on it...
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

I've got 2 with ~3k miles on them, so substantially more than 60% tread left. I'll sell one or both for cheap, but shipping might get you.

I'm in New Mexico, so it's a long drive
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

Bryan,

I've got one for you (5-6/32nds)...just cleaning out the garage. No way I'm making it to RR this week either....I'm working on my car for the next few days. You're welcome to come pick it up or i can bring it to the Chilis meet in Downingtown. Buy me lunch and it's yours. I've got two really, but I'm gonna use one for a full size spare. If you need them to match we can exchange the 2nd or something. There's a BJs nearby if you're a member and wanna swap the 2nd one. I dunno just talking out loud.
    Lemme know!

-wYlie

it looks like the tire might actually be holding air now, but i will definitely keep you in mind roamin. if i end up needing one i will definitely hit you up. thanks!
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.