In NJ and need major help...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on In NJ and need major help... within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I have 2002 RS I want to mod. Problem is I can't get a straight answer from anyone about what ...

Unhappy In NJ and need major help...

I have 2002 RS I want to mod. Problem is I can't get a straight answer from anyone about what NJ allows and doesn't allow. Also I have heard of CAI causing problems making the engine run lean. Please can anyone give me some adive on what to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ 2.5RS
    I have 2002 RS I want to mod. Problem is I can't get a straight answer from anyone about what NJ allows and doesn't allow. Also I have heard of CAI causing problems making the engine run lean. Please can anyone give me some adive on what to do?
    I know a CAI doesn't work well with a WRX, but I'm not sure about the RS. What exactly do you want to know about what N.J. allows?

I just want to know if I can put an intake and exhaust on my car and not get pulled over everytime I go out. And if at all possible still go through the DMV for inspection.

Thank you so much for that. I couldn't find anyone who knew. If you have ideas of where to buy all this stuff, it would be greatly appreciated though. Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ 2.5RS
    Thank you so much for that. I couldn't find anyone who knew. If you have ideas of where to buy all this stuff, it would be greatly appreciated though. Thanks again.
    www.cobbtuning.com

I live in that armpit state, the cops usually don't give hard times to folks and I see tons of raspy Honda hatches around. Intake + exhaust no problem. Strait pipes back w/o any cats will be very loud and might get you a ticket however.
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess it all depends on what type of area you live in. Up by me, there is virtually no crime, so the cops don't have much else to do but traffic stops. Where I live, a loud raspy exhaust is a surefire way to get pulled over.

I think it does also, i live down in the dirty seven area, and in the summer exhaust and turbos and rice is all you hear. They really dont care for exhaust so much down here, i mean seaside is a whole different story. My friend got pulled over and ticketed for noise pollution with his audio system on and his windows rolled up. But before the bridge, you have nothing to worry about. Its really funny too, on the weekends you only see minivans, SUV's and the occasional rice pulled over. None of the "kids" are ever pulled over, but the cops are like hawks.
    Blobeye Syndicate #17

tan
    As long as the CEL is not on at the time of inspection, you'll pass emissions.

Luckily for me...I'm exempt

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tan
    As long as the CEL is not on at the time of inspection, you'll pass emissions.

Luckily for me...I'm exempt
    To clarify a little, the CEL has to be off, and the sensor in a "ready" status. A pony express mil eliminator will keep the sensor in a "not ready" status.

it all depends on what mods you do

on my 03 RS, im only running a catback exhaust now but im planning on getting the cobb cai... you shouldnt worry about passing inspection a CAI & exhaust will not throw off your emissions.. you still have another 2 cats i believe.

SQC - 189

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    hmmm I see a correlation between all those items... but wow man a hamster? I prefer gerbils my self cus you can keep a hold of their tail so they dont "get lost", ya know... hehe it tickles

Quote Originally Posted by Subie2.5RS2003
    it all depends on what mods you do

on my 03 RS, im only running a catback exhaust now but im planning on getting the cobb cai... you shouldnt worry about passing inspection a CAI & exhaust will not throw off your emissions.. you still have another 2 cats i believe.
    Thank you all for the responses. This has made getting mods much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    To clarify a little, the CEL has to be off, and the sensor in a "ready" status. A pony express mil eliminator will keep the sensor in a "not ready" status.
    Wait a minute. NJ doesnt do a sniffer test? I have a TurboXS stealth back with the high flow cat. I hear that if the car is warm, i shouldnt have any problems. What are these tricks you speak of?
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I went to get my brother's car inspected in Edison and they never looked under the car. Just in case though, even though I still have 2 and a half years, just having the high-flow cat will not allow me to pass the visual? Oh well I can always replace the stealthback, as long as I can keep the up-pipe cause you cant see it anyway.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Will the mechanical CEL fix for rear 02 work if I already have the Pony Express on? I would just leave it on, don't feel like taking it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast