Stolen (but recovered) wrx in SE PA
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stolen (but recovered) wrx in SE PA within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; About a week ago my car was stolen out of my girlfriends driveway. I had left it running(STUPID) to keep ...

Stolen (but recovered) wrx in SE PA

About a week ago my car was stolen out of my girlfriends driveway. I had left it running(STUPID) to keep it warm while we ran into her house so she could pick something up real quick. We were inside for about a minute when I hear my horn honking and gravel/peeling out sounds. Look outside, car is gone. Called the cops with a description they sent officers out and took my info. They leave, and about 20 mins later I get a call that they found my car in a parking lot about 1/4 mile from my girlfriends house. Whoever took just wanted a joyride, nothing was stolen out of the car, except they took my KEYS and locked and alarmed it before they split. Damage was also done to the real bumper, I imagine when they reversed out of the driveway they scraped it. So now my car has about $1500 damage to it...all because I wanted to keep it warm for a minute...I am reluctant to give any more specific information about the location due to privacy issues. But what really sucks is someone out there most likely still had a set of my keys and my alarm fob and insurance wont pay for have the locks changed out...what do I do? At least I got my car back...if anyone wants any more specific information I can give it out concerning the exact location it was stolen from. Still...im sad, she only had 7000 miles...
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As a fellow SE PA'er ... just what were you thinking? Even when it was in the single digits duriing the last few weeks, I did not leave my WRX unattended during warm up at 6am.

PM me with the details if you'd like. I work in northern ChesCo.

yeah I know, it was pretty dumb- no excuse for it...and something I will never ever do again. It makes me look really irresposible, but I am truthfully, REALLY anal about my car- anyone I know will tell you the same its an inside joke how much of a nazi i am about my car. I take like 20 mins to park where it wont get dinged and the one time that I lighten up I get screwed
    www.jscspeed.com

an idea for you

Here are the cheapest ways I can think of to get around this,

1.Go to a junk yard and get all new locks (both doors , truck, and ignition)
    2. Disconnect the key cylinders from your doors and trunk then get your alarm reprogrammed, with new key fobs. The down fall is that you would have to rely on your keyless entry 100%.
    Tom ~ 06 WRX Wagon

what if I just got the key fobs reprogrammed. I have the alarm option on my car, so even if the dude had the right key and opened the door, the alarm would go off and the car wouldnt start. And the fob that he stole would be deactivated
    www.jscspeed.com

i have a quick ?. does insurance still cover a car if it is stolen becuase you had left it running?

I almost positive they dont, my neighbor had a 2004 vw stolen on my street (left it runing) some kids stole it and totaled it a town over, If i see him ill ask...
    2005 Legacy GT Limited OBP 5MT
    -25% Carbon Tint
    -Rear Brake Lens Tinited
    -GFB Hybrid BOV
    -Perrin Panel Filter
    -Intake Silencer Removed
    -Headlight Eyelids
    -Kartboy STS W/Front Bushings
    -STI Trans Mount
    -VEI Digital Boost Gauge
    -Fumoto Valve

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tturbotom
    Here are the cheapest ways I can think of to get around this,

1.Go to a junk yard and get all new locks (both doors , truck, and ignition)
    2. Disconnect the key cylinders from your doors and trunk then get your alarm reprogrammed, with new key fobs. The down fall is that you would have to rely on your keyless entry 100%.
    Unfortunately very few junkyards will remove lock cylinders from doors. Buy a used steering column with key, remove all your lock cylinders from your car and have them keyed to your new column key, get the alarm reprogrammed with new key fobs, and you're all set.

well insurance is covering the damages that were done and the items stolen from the car. Now if it was a total loss, then I have no idea.

I think i am just going to get the key fobs reprogrammed, because that is convered under my insurance. And maybe get a club or an autoloc if I am in the same neighborhood ever. I dont want to mess around with trying to find a new steering column and buying junked parts.
    www.jscspeed.com

D'OH!!! kids in the area? How long were you inside and what time of day was it? seriously sucks...I don't use them, but friends with turbo timers set them if they're going inside for a little (read WaWa) that way if you take the parking brake off....car dies.

best wishes
    wYlie

disconnect your battery over night and your key fob wont work, then reprogram it.. since the memory is reset, the stolen remote will no longer work. reprogramming the keyless entry is simple, theres directions on scoobymods.com i beleive.. otherwise, i know how(same as Toyota..go figure)

about your key, you may be able to get a locksmith to recode all your tumblers and cut a new key..
    they can be fairly expensive.. though replacement in easy.. i can do all 4 in about 30 minutes.. not sure about the glove box one.. probly simple too, but i wouldnt worry about that.

try people who wrecked their cars.. key cylinderss are never really sold from wrecks..

as for keeping my car warm when im not in it, i got a turbo timer, just set it up to 10 minutes and let it go, lock the doors(theres an alarm bypass mod).. unlock the doors when im done and jsut insert hte key, as soon as the e-brake is off, turbo timer shuts off, and if you think they can just break the window and leave the E-brake on 1 click up.. true, but theres a steering column lock there as well.. so once the wheel is turned about 20 in either direction, its locked untill a key is inserted to the lock cylinder.
    (then sometimes the car STILL isnt warm enough.. thats why i got my heated seats put in )

it was around 11:30 at night, we were in the house for about 2 minutes, and it was snowing
    www.jscspeed.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.