Hit by a drunk and the dude won't pay me for the damages

This is a discussion on Hit by a drunk and the dude won't pay me for the damages within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Here's the story: About a month ago, a dude side-swiped my boy's car late at night in Philly...he was drunk. ...

Hit by a drunk and the dude won't pay me for the damages

Here's the story:
    About a month ago, a dude side-swiped my boy's car late at night in Philly...he was drunk. He was trying to parallel park right across the street, and took it too wide...both my boyfriend and I were standing right at the car when it happened, and so were two of our friends = 4 witnesses.

He didn't make a huge scratch in the car, only 1.5" long but it's deep. We came to a verbal agreement that we'd get an estimate and call him up because we didn't want to involve insurance for a small scratch. Well for the past month we have been chasin this dude down. We finally got his address info and agreed to go get the money from him tomorrow. The last time we spoke, we told him how much the damage would cost to fix ($350) and he gave us a time and place to meet him. But now he's ignoring all of our calls.

It's getting annoying, we have his license plate #, make of the car, his cell # and his "address". Only prob is, we don't want to make a 1+ hour drive to an unknown location if this is all bogus info.

Does anyone out there have a carfax account that could look up info for me??

Moreover, the address he gave us was for Hamilton, NJ...is anyone from around there who could help us verify this address??
    Last edited by 2fast2furious; 10-10-2004 at 10:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Worst idea ever. I tried doing the "verbal" agreement (with a friend!) and it completely went to hell.

Always call the cops.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Worst idea ever. I tried doing the "verbal" agreement (with a friend!) and it completely went to hell.

Always call the cops.
    +1

my sis went with the verbal agreement and it bit her in the a$$. at least check the name with the address (phone book or internet) and see if it matches your dude. imo $350 is worth a little drive to check it out.

good luck
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    You should have called the police
    no one needs a drunk driving around!
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555
    You should have called the police
    no one needs a drunk driving around!
    Word.
    Never stop learning.

Yea if he was driving drunk, I would DEFINITELY call the police. That's just not right.

and think of it this way if he was drunk you could see them drag his drunk @$$ away, it would have been funny....

Quote Originally Posted by quick02rex
    and think of it this way if he was drunk you could see them drag his drunk @$$ away, it would have been funny....
    werd

"verbal agreement"

yeah, i wish we had handled it better. learned from a terrible mistake...can't be nice anymore

my boy called the insurance company the other day and am filing a long over due accident report...just wished we had done it sooner.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    you may just want to pay from your own pocket to repair the 1.5" scratch.
    Rather than use the insurance co. especially if its only $350 to fix and your deductible is like $500.

just a thought
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition