My car ALMOST STOLEN AGAIN!!!! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on My car ALMOST STOLEN AGAIN!!!! within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by Mid117 heres a site to make you guys happy http://www.stickdeath.com/frameset.htm then click on 2004 anti-auto theft devices ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mid117
    heres a site to make you guys happy

http://www.stickdeath.com/frameset.htm

then click on 2004 anti-auto theft devices

Enjoy!!
    Any of those systems would be great, the ex-navy Seal system would be my choice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blueberryrex
    hey how could i immobilize my car with a custom hack? just wondering because i saw one of ur post and am interested.
    thanks
    I got this PM, and I hope I don't tick off blueberryrex for posting this for everyone to see. I had initially wanted to make some dough off what I know and can do, but thought, in the greater scheme of things, that helping out my fellow subie owners might be the better path to take. Though I'll gladly do some work for side cash!

Well, have you ever heard of the Ravelco security system with that funny little plug they mount on your dash? Check out this link.

http://www.ravelco.com/

What they're doing (I believe, as its mounted near the fuse box) is taking a number of relay grounding wires from around the car and breaking the connection to them. This renders what ever the relay controls useless until your little cap top is inserted to make the connections. Whats tough about their system is that they randomize the wires, and give each person a unique plug, or key. When a thief looks at the bundle of wires, they have no clue where they go and give up. In most cases that is. Given you have no idea the quality of the installer, each application might differ greatly in the security the Ravelco system provides. If your car sits for a long while, and the theif has the time, he can follow the wires back through the car also.

I didn't want to take the chance. Here are my thoughts.

#1) A stock security system is junk.

#2) An aftermarket security system is junk. Any kid that works at best buy can get their hands on the installation manual, and know how to bypass them.

#3) The Ravelco system as in above is junk (possibly), not worth the chance.

#4) Security maps from the AccessPort or UTEC are junk. I'll disconnect the battery for a while, or unplug your UTEC if I really want your car. Heck, if the battery disconnect doesn't work, I'll use my own ECU that I carry with me.

#5) Custom kill switches can be found, and are junk.

What does that leave paranoid subie owner to do? Or for that matter, any person who loves their car to do?

I came to realize the only thing that would tick off a theif more than any of the above is an ECU wiring harness hack.

I grabbed a subie ECU pinout manual, and found a number of very important pins (lots of them). I found the connecting wires, and cut a length out of each one in the wiring harness (be sure to label what is what).

I then grabbed 2 DB9 male and femal serial port connectors. I soldered a number of wires to each of the DB9 male serial ports (of the same color) and labeled each wire with a number that corresponds to the pin number on the DB9 male pin it connects to. At this point I had 2 DB9 male connectors with a bunch of wires trailing out with taped labels.

I made a column 'A' and a column 'B' on a piece of paper and numbered 1 through 9 on each (each column representing one of the DB9 males). I then drew random lines connecting each number from column 'A' to a number in column 'B'. This was my key.

I then took the two DB9 femal connectors, and wired them together according to the key from above. I was sure to remember to label the female connectors A and B, corresponding to the male connectors. This is a key now, a cap that will connect the two male connector bundles, and complete the many circuits according to the map I set.

I then assigned an important wire from the car wiring harness to each wire in the male bundle 'A'. I marked this on paper of course. I then noted which wire according to the key in the wire bundle 'B. would complete the circuit.

I soldered in both wiring bundles to the appropriate wires in the car wiring harness I had severed. Of course each connection was wrapped with shrink tubing.

When the female 'plug' is connected to the male wire bundles (A to A, B to B), the wiring harness connections are made, and the car runs. When the female plugs are removed, the car does nothing. Unless the theif has some serious time, equipment, and diagrams, your car stays put.

Things to learn from my experience.
    1) Make sure you *really* can soldier, this can be a pain in the arse.

2) Make sure you have time to sort out bugs. My car didn't turn over the first time I tried. All I could think about was how it was midnight, and I had work in the morning. It started on the second try though

3) Keep the wire lengths to an absolute minimum. The longer the wire, the more interference is possible. You want nice clean signals in your wiring harness, bad things can happen if not.

4) Run some shielding over your wiring hack. See #3.

5) Before you do anything, find a place you want to mount this plug. I kept mine short, and it sicks out near the passenger door hinge. I can reach over to pull it out, but it can be a pain. Other might want theirs mounted on the other side.

6) Other connectors can be used, just make sure the connection they make is clean. Serial ports are tried and true. An ethernet jack migh work also.

7) Don't get your connector wet.

8) ALWAYS make a back up connector, you know, the female part.

9) Have several copies on paper, what your key is, and what ECU wires are involved.

10) Big number ten! Reduce the attention your car gets. Remove the bling bling wheels. Remove any potential wing. remove the good scoop and go with a black APS front mount.

Hope this helps people.

-Eric-
    Last edited by Tgui; 01-30-2005 at 04:45 PM.

this is why i spent 1500 bucks on a beater..............because enjoy having my car

went to Universal studios yesterday...set it on anti-theft and no worries for the rest of the day

In New Hampshire, for the most part we have cows... not stolen cars.

This leads me to a n00b q.

What do they do with the stolen cars? I mean it all cant be gone in 60 seconds ship them overseas etc.

Are they parting them out and selling on ebay?

Doesnt everyone know their vin numbers? How can the sell/register/get plates for their cars in any state?

I dont get it. Sorry Im a dope!
    2005 9-2X 5MT Blue

Quote Originally Posted by STI4theSlowGuy
    In New Hampshire, for the most part we have cows... not stolen cars.

This leads me to a n00b q.

What do they do with the stolen cars? I mean it all cant be gone in 60 seconds ship them overseas etc.

Are they parting them out and selling on ebay?

Doesnt everyone know their vin numbers? How can the sell/register/get plates for their cars in any state?

I dont get it. Sorry Im a dope!

Lots of cases I've seen have been joy rides, to the point the car is trashed. Then whatever can be easily stolen, is.

2005 9-2X 5MT Blue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.