DC Area WRXNewbie, Intro/Advice Req
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DC Area WRXNewbie, Intro/Advice Req within the Mid-Atlantic States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello All. Just found this board while searching info on my new 2004 WRX Sedan and thought I'd intro myself ...

DC Area WRXNewbie, Intro/Advice Req

Hello All. Just found this board while searching info on my new 2004 WRX Sedan and thought I'd intro myself a little and ask for some advice from the more experienced here.

Bought my WRX sedan 5M on 7/3/04 bare bones w/no options for $21k (before tax, tags) from Fritzgerald Subaru in Kensington, MD (good experience, highly recommend Salesperson named Hossein Zahedi). I'll post pics soon. I'm almost near my 1k mile break in period...have been keeping it below 3100 rpm/70 mph thus far (despite the daily race-mockings I get on the Beltway or I-270 from Mustangs, Corvettes, and BMWs). This is my first "perfomance car" and did quite a bit of consumer researching before buying...it was the most bang for the buck in terms of performance.

Saying I'm a novice would be an understatement...I don't know much about the tech side of cars or performance (as the questions below will make apparent), so I'd appreciate any feedback/advice I can get...thanks in advance.

A few questions/request for advice...

1) I've noticed that shifting isn't as smooth as my 94 Integra's was, particularly from stand still to 1st. Is this normal for Subaru AWDs? I was told that by a friend of mine.

2) I'm considering getting a short shifter installed/moded as the throws on the stock seem very long and can't seem to shift as quickly as I'd like (is this due to my inexperiece?). Subie dealers are quoting $400-500 range for a short shifter installed (isn't that kinda pricey?). Perrin makes an adjustable short shifter adapter/sleeve(http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ortshifter.htm) that Atlantic Motorsports in Gaithersburg,MD will install for around $100-120 ($90 part + labor). What is your advice/experience in this area? Should I go with the dealer, the Perrin adapter/sleeve at Atlantic (how well does this adapter work, anyone have experience with Atlantic Motorsports?), or do you recommend something else? I'd prefer a short shifter w/o too much rattle/vibration.

3) I'd also like to get a turbo boost gauge to see how I'm using the turbo. Dealer installed is about $370. How well does the gauge work and does it help in managing the turbo performance? Any recommendations from another product/place besides the dealer?

4) What are other mods that would be good to make the car perform better? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money just yet...just the most bang for the buck but nothing illegal or that would violate the engine/powertrain warranty. I read alot of references of the 3/16th mod...but don't know what exactly that is or the cost.

5) I read a lot about turbo lag and slow acceleraton at the lower RPMs. Are there mods or driving tips that would minimize this?

6) Who/where are some reputable places in the area to take my WRX for mods, performance servicing, etc?

I apologize for the long-windedness of this posting, but just wanted to get my questions out there for some advice/help. Thanks again for your advice!

WRX04Newbie
    -2004 WRX 5M Sedan WR Blue Pearl
    -Bare Bones w/ no options
    -Bought in 7/04 from Fitzgerald Subaru Kensington, MD for $21,287

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    Buy ur own short throw shifter and install it urself, very ez.

As for shops u can buy stuff from....Falls Church is where fastwrx.com is located, its a small little shop buy they have everythign u need, (boost gauges, short throw shifters, blabla) Most of the people there own subies and can help u in person. But they are kinda EXPENSIVE!
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

That sounds like a great price!

How did you get them to go below dealer invoice cost? I was looking at edmunds.com at dealer invoice and 21K is less than they paid for the car to put it on the lot.

Red*Eye

p.s. I hope to buy a WRX soon...

Whaddup? I'm in Mt. Pleasant, and there are at least 2 other WRXs parked in and around my neighborhood. Don't think they're members though. Both wagons - one WRB and the other silver.

As for your questions.

Turbo lag...the scourge of WRX driving. I have a stock wagon, so there's not much I can do except keep the car in the upper eschelons of the power band all the time (3000+) when I need performance all the time. With premium gas at about $2.19 this week (thanks W!), I tend to drive more politely. There are lots of other options for dealing with it and people here can give you dozens of them. I wouldn't try playing with the boost too much during your break in, obviously.

First is kind of a pain and getting into reverse is a daily struggle. Just part of the package, I guess. Then there's the crappy paint, the noisy window roll up, etc etc. But it's worth it.

Most people here think the subaru turbo gauge isn't worth $hit and not worth the money and I would consider looking into lower cost options.

People here will also insist that you search first before starting new threads about any of this stuff.

Try searching "reflash" "uppipe" "downpipe" "turbo lag" etc. and no one will yell at you.

This is a good, comprehensive list someone just posted that should help.

http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...threadid=72611

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.